Jun 7, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
I'm currently torn between two schools, and if I am accepted to both I am not sure which I'll choose. One has a small class size and the other has nearly double the small class size. Both have recently undergone renovations, and both will cost about the same. I went into interview season with my mind made up, but with my last interview, I am now totally torn between both. So, SDN, if accepted to your top two schools, how will you decide?

pmanning19

7+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2011
Status
Dental Student
There's a lot more to choosing a school than what you wrote. Why don't you share the two schools and the other pros and cons you can think of. Right now, you basically have your decision based on class size. I'm sure you can think of other qualities the schools differ in.

OP
A
Jun 7, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
The schools are very much alike in a lot of ways. One of the major differences is that at school 1 you won't really get any clinic experience until year 2. But, at school 2, you get clinical experience during year one and they just built a spectacular sim lab for D1s. I like both cities that the schools are in. The one major thing that makes me hesitate about school 2 is that it's 11 hours from home while school 1 is just 7 hours from home. Honestly I know I could be happy at both schools, so I don't know why the decision scares me.

gn4

5+ Year Member
Apr 1, 2013
Status
Dental Student
for me, it will depend on where my gf gets accepted to medschool and how much debt I will be in after graduation.

Glimmer1991

5+ Year Member
May 5, 2012
NC
Status
Dental Student
7 hours is a drivable distance to home. 11 is not.

If all else was pretty much equal, that would absolutely seal the deal for me.

Dec 21, 2012
Status
I can't decide before I get acceptances because it just stinks to almost expect to get in and then get crushed afterwards, haha. But out of the 3 schools, I honestly wouldn't be able to pick one. $$, name, or proximity to home? Ahhhh!!! Haha. If I only get in one, that'd make my life so much easier.

CleverThought

5+ Year Member
May 30, 2011
Status
Dental Student
I'm unique in that I have a spouse and some money that allows me to go anywhere with minimal or no debt. Spouse is really rooting for state school, but I would love to go somewhere different.

Because the field my husband is in, you can't really move around jobs because your client base is your lifeblood. So, after this move to whatever school I go to, we can't really move too far where he cannot stay with his company.

So, the biggest deciding factors for us will really be job market for dentistry in the area, cost of living, proximity to family, lifestyle, and of course, money - but to a lesser extent.

May 25, 2013
Status
Pre-Dental
I'm currently torn between two schools, and if I am accepted to both I am not sure which I'll choose. One has a small class size and the other has nearly double the small class size. Both have recently undergone renovations, and both will cost about the same. I went into interview season with my mind made up, but with my last interview, I am now totally torn between both. So, SDN, if accepted to your top two schools, how will you decide?
If you can't decide during the time frame they give you, are you allowed to place a deposit at both schools? No idea off that's allowed, but it could maybe give you more time to decide..

May 27, 2011
Status
Pre-Dental
My top school is a public institution, which would be significantly less in terms of cost than my private school second choice, which charges an arm, leg, and spleen for tuition. However, I was more impressed with the second choice's clinical environment. :|

I do have to say though, I want this dilemma, hahaha. :X TWELVE MORE DAYS.

Reactions: Teeths

Daneosaurus

D4
7+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2012
Status
Dental Student
The schools are very much alike in a lot of ways. One of the major differences is that at school 1 you won't really get any clinic experience until year 2. But, at school 2, you get clinical experience during year one and they just built a spectacular sim lab for D1s. I like both cities that the schools are in. The one major thing that makes me hesitate about school 2 is that it's 11 hours from home while school 1 is just 7 hours from home. Honestly I know I could be happy at both schools, so I don't know why the decision scares me.
It's up to the person, but honestly, I think being further away from home would be a greater advantage, as you would be less tempted to go there on a spur of the moment decision. Not to say you are impulsive, but maybe your family/friends is/are? A further distance allows you to disassociate yourself with "home problems" and to concentrate more heavily on studies. Just food for thought.

sjv

5+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If you can't decide during the time frame they give you, are you allowed to place a deposit at both schools? No idea off that's allowed, but it could maybe give you more time to decide..
Yes, you can put as many deposits as you can afford.

r2thekesh

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 9, 2009
Status
Dental Student
I'm looking at two schools with similar costs. One city is known for terrible allergies. I have allergies and they affect my sleep, bad sleep=poor studying. So that's pretty much my deciding factor plus the smaller class size, and very slightly cheaper city.

Dec 6, 2012
Pennsylvania
Status
Dental Student
I stress about this constantly! If I get accepted to all six schools I interviewed at, I will only have deposit money for one. I chose the schools I applied to based on each school's history of successful alumni, clinical excellence, and livability of area, but it will be such a hard choice when it comes down to it because they all have great qualities. I plan on doing a service commitment so tuition isn't such a big factor for me. Every dental school is really far away from home as well. I honestly hope that I only get into one school then I won't feel bad turning down other schools and have the thought "what would life if be like it you went to school x instead" for the rest of my life.

Last edited:

Longcatislong

7+ Year Member
Oct 22, 2010
Status
Dental Student
How does anyone possibly afford more than, I don't know, two deposits? I'm all broke from interview travel. I barely have cash to cover the deposits lol :(

Reactions: flaming0duckie

sjv

5+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Interesting. Is that something schools look unfavorably upon, or it's it pretty standard for people rto put down multiple deposits?
I guess it depends on the individual, some people may not have a clear cut #1 and still need time to decide or are still waiting/hoping for a post December interview/acceptance.

As for holding multiple deposits, here is the ADEA statement:
Applicants holding positions at multiple institutions. Dental schools
participating in AADSAS will report to AADSAS by April 1, the names and
identification numbers of candidates who have paid a deposit and/or hold a
position in their entering class. After April 5, AADSAS will report to each
institution the names of candidates in their entering class who are holding acceptance(s) at additional institutions. Dental schools will have the option of
rescinding an offer of admission to candidates who have paid deposits and
are holding positions at multiple institutions. Dental schools with candidates
holding multiple positions on April 1of the year of admission will give such
candidates a minimum 15-day notice if they choose to withdraw them from
the entering class.