how would musical achievements help me during admission?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

arianakamura

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi peers. so I will be applying for medical school in 2 years and I am worrying about this now. I haven't been that into volunteer work in undergraduate years. I have done research and have published papers, and I have shadowing experience. the largest amount of spare time I spent on was involvement in music. for example I have 8 years of training in one instrument, 18 years of playing experience and can play 3 instruments, can compose original music, won a list of state-level awards for composing and school-level awards for performing. I just want to know how important it could be that I add this in my application because it is a big part of my life but it seems irrelevant to medicine. thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
do you, boo boo
(and for the record, you're doing it well)

Add it. Anything that helps you stand out is a +++. Your musical achievements are ****ing sweet so be prepared to talk about them at length if asked during an interview. At its core, it shows you're about more than just study/sleep/pre-med.

Though, you should get some volunteer hours under your belt with a hospital. It'll show you a different side of the hospital which can help you answer the "why medicine" question.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a clarinetist of 8 years and I included musicianship in my app and my PS since it's been a big source of personal development for me.

AFAIK, successful musicianship is in the "stellar" category for ECs. Def. get some volunteering, though. You have lots of time.

thanks for all the allopathic answers. :) they are encouraging and I will sure to get some volunteer work as well. good luck everyone.

If it helps...I was a former professional violinist and it seems to be doing me some good in terms of netting interviews..and I think I ended up with a pretty bomb personal statement too.

I'll let you know how it is after interview results come back :)

Reactions: 1 users
Music is also very mathematical and structured. Accomplished musicians are also very often great 'thinkers' and problem solvers in addition to the other positives that have been mentioned.

How about doing some 'music therapy' or playing for elderly/disabled people as a volunteer activity.

add it. It means you're not an automaton... And music is awesome...

If it helps...I was a former professional violinist and it seems to be doing me some good in terms of netting interviews..and I think I ended up with a pretty bomb personal statement too.

I'll let you know how it is after interview results come back :)

if you would... that would be so f***king awesome. thanks so much in advance!

Music is also very mathematical and structured. Accomplished musicians are also very often great 'thinkers' and problem solvers in addition to the other positives that have been mentioned.

How about doing some 'music therapy' or playing for elderly/disabled people as a volunteer activity.

I will try to do some more volunteering. thank you. :)

If you can talk about it and draw parallels between what you learned from it and your pursuit of medicine. Also, if you can use it to decompress because not only this process, but medical school is stressful, and you need a way to unwind.

right, i need to relate that to how i can ace medical school too. thanks.

Having long-term passions is always great. These types of things will always look infinitely better than those typical premeds who try a million different things once just to list it on AMCAS...kudos for you.

Now a Grammy...THAT would be impressive ;)

I will try to do some more volunteering. thank you. :)
I second this a million times over. Go to LITERALLY any nursing home/skilled nursing facility in the country and they would LOVE to have you play for them.
You may have to get HIPAA training etc and learn some older tunes, but I know that's something the elderly love.

Advanced music training encourages a lot of personal attributes that are beneficial for medical careers (i.e. strong work ethic, active and self-directed learning style, high standard for performance, teamwork skills, personal responsibility, etc). I was a professional classical musician before I decided to go after medicine, and similarly to @musicalfeet it has seemed to help with getting interviews and gives me something interesting to talk about during them.

As others have said, get involved in your community with music. There are so so many opportunities for this and I think that anyone who would enjoy being a doctor will enjoy the reward they get from uplifting others through music.

Having long-term passions is always great. These types of things will always look infinitely better than those typical premeds who try a million different things once just to list it on AMCAS...kudos for you.

Now a Grammy...THAT would be impressive ;)
The wind symphony I was in won a Grammy :D

Musicianship is absolutely worth including and would certainly be looked on favorably - more so if you are highly accomplished. It's not a terribly unique attribute unless you have achieved some incredible success, but it's absolutely worth mentioning and even featuring.

As a professional musician now turned physician myself I can say without a doubt that my musical background was phenomenal preparation for medical training. Any idiot can memorize amino acids or push electrons around a stick drawing, but walking into an angry patient's room filled with fuming family members and walking out to hugs and thank you a takes something else: it takes art.

It's that undefinable yet immediately recognizable essence. I think musical accomplishment sets you up to find that. Just like your first foreign language is the hardest, so is your first art. Once you've already been down that road, it's much easier the second time.

As someone who's learned multiple instruments, you have a deep understanding of this. You understand the value of playing scales and etudes for years even if they aren't what you will ultimately "use" as a performer. You've spent hundreds of hours perfecting tiny details of a piece, any one of which nobody will ever notice, but put together transform music into art. You understand what it means to truly learn something beyond simply cramming it for a test (can't cram a concerto!). You have learned that fine balance of developing your own perspectives on a piece while still being able to yield parts of your vision to the overall vision of the conductor or director. You've learned how to collaborate with others, both in large groups and small and learned the intricacies of negotiating each - the ability to contribute yet blend in an orchestra or choir; the ability to play or sing as a true soloist yet collaborator in chamber music. All of these hone skills that you will use every day in medicine.

Perhaps most importantly, you've been learning how to listen. Truly listen. This is what will ultimately become your secret weapon. Such a vital skill but is never really taught. I think people confuse hearing with listening and just assume people can do it, but it's obviously so much more involved than that. Music (and acting actually) gives you unparalleled training in being able to listen so intently that you're actually saying something. Great music making is 90% listening and only 10% technical skill; I think the numbers in medicine are probably not far off of that.

So yes, talk about your music. It's easy to relate it to medicine and incorporate it into an argument for why you will succeed.

This!

Just a personal note, not having any musical talent myself, I have a profound respect for people who can master music.

Being a serious musician immediately shows commitment and discipline (all the practice). Not too mention achievement in your case. A medical school application is a coherent, concise and compelling narrative showing a strong pattern of motivation, commitment and achievement. It is a definite plus

Music is great but you need some "service to others" (volunteerism) on your application to show that you have tested your interest in a service profession that deals with the sick, the elderly, mentally and physically disabled, etc. As mentioned, playing classical or "golden oldies" for nursing home residents is often a very successful way to combine your special skills with their real need. Adult daycare and hospice facilities are other places that might have use for a musician.

Here's hoping you aren't a tuba player.

Reactions: 2 users
@LizzyM I know of a tuba and flute duo that plays old folks homes and fills the room every time, so there's hope for anyone!