Hows the Semester Ending for Everyone?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Satire5Texul

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hows everyone semester ending for everyone ?
Any good news for you guys ?

Better study habits ?
Some difficulties ?

Its that time of the year when things are winding down. Happy Holidays in advance

So Far for Me:

I finished my last exam on the 6th and took a week to hibernate in my bed. 2-3 more weeks on break before getting back into it - using the time to find research position and kick-start some things I am really passionate about (food + health + fitness).

Finally got my grades back, took 2 classes that were prerequisites + 1 lab, and got an A+ in all 3 ! (part-time)
Really lucked out with professors who were amazing, and have a great line up next semester.

I didn't come out of the library. spent weekdays, weekends, holidays there. People started giving me the "go home" look :bookworm:

Really took the time to examine some of the advice on this website, and my academic counselor confirmed what I had thought and read here. Went part time to get back into things. Applied for another bachelors degree and got in. Taking 3 core science prereqs next semester (no labs but full time), which will be difficult, but seems like the only way to prove that I can handle a massive science load.

After months of doubt and living in the trenches with my uncertain future, I am new to this feeling of "you are on the right path". Been pretty difficult to watch a friend go off to medical school, but I frequent their facebook to get a big dose of motivation. So much happened in the last 6 months, health/financial/personal/family problems but I pulled through. Ready to take on some more.

Going Ice skating tomorrow :zip:

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Procrastination hit me really hard at the end of the semester but I pulled through. Finished my last assignment on the 9th, but my professors this semester are excruciatingly slow at grading and I probably won't know exactly how I did until after Christmas. I'm confident in my work and think I should have A's, but I still hate that uncertainty.

I can relate to that feeling of finally feeling like I am on the right path. It took 8 years to get here but I am two courses away from my bachelor's and am finally restarting my prerequisites next semester. I've got this feeling that there is a light at the end of the tunnel and I am confident in my study habits, organization, and plan for the future. It's a really odd feeling for me.

Going to spend my winter break eating better, enjoying my time with family, job hunting, and brushing up on General Chem 1 so that I'm not lost in Chem 2.

Eh, I didn't do as well as I wanted. Took 2 classes this semester and ended up dropping one because I knew I wouldn't be able to walk out of both classes with A's or B's, now I find out that I also won't be walking out of chem with them either :(. A part of me feels like a total failure and I want to roll up in a ball and cry but the other part of me is excited about the fact that I realized what I did to screw up and that I have good shot of succeeding if I tweak my study habits :clap:. This is the first of my prereqs being taken so i'm glad that I found the problem early and can redo the class and knock it outta the park.

At this point I can't stand holiday music because I'm still so wound up from the semester, so hopefully after the final I can finally attempt to relax.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not a very cheerful ending. I got a B+ in Orgo I. Urghhhhh.

The bright side is that I survived a layoff at work...

Difficulties? Time management! I get really tired after a whole day of work, and it requires great self-discipline and motivation to get yourself out of the couch and study Orgo. I need some doses of motivation!

Last edited:
The end of the semester has been meh for me. I had a really hard time pushing myself to study for my Orgo 1 final. This was the first semester that I took 3 science classes and 3 labs all at once. There were points in the semester that I felt drained, or unmotivated. But in the end, I always reminded myself of why I was going through with everything. It wasn't always easy, but I am proud that I proved to myself that I can handle the work.

Grades:
Physics 1 + lab = A
Biology 1 + lab = A
Organic Chem 1 Lab = A
Organic Chem lecture = A- or B+ (need an 88% on the final to get an A-. I should find out my grade in a week)

Next semester I will be taking Physics II, Orgo II, Orgo II lab, and Biology II. I will be looking for a part time job, and picking back up with clinical research I started earlier this year.

1st year MD student here. I'll bite. I think it's important for us all to pause at the conclusion of classes and look at what worked and where you could improve. Ask what other classmates do or search on the forums here.

Hows everyone semester ending for everyone ?
I passed the immuno/hematology/WBC disorders block. I performed below the class average this term, and I think that was due to experimenting with different study strategies and getting involved in more things outside of class. I also didn't make a weekly schedule that I adhered to rigidly so it's largely my own fault.

Any good news for you guys ?
I passed. It's winter break. I'm going on a date with an amazing girl this week.

Better study habits ? Some difficulties ?
I've made a weekly schedule for next block to help me stay on track and prevent getting behind. I spent a lot of time creating Anki flashcards this block, and while I really like that program, there is just not enough time to flash card everything well in my opinion. We have weekly assessments so we're always crunched for time because we have to review Mon to Thurs lectures.
I've been reading the forums and picking up a lot of good study strategies. My plan going forward is to continue making weekly study scheduless. Also I plan on using Anki SPARINGLY for mostly Pharmacology and Microbiology. Multiple passes through lecture notes and more time spent reading the assigned or outside reading. I've also made a schedule for the weekends too, so definitely consider doing that as a way to stay ahead or on track.

OK. Good luck everyone. Don't get down on yourselves too much. We all fail. How you adapt after your failures is more important! Make a plan.

Last edited:
BlastedHeath

Good for you ! I think most of the time people forget that its okay to feel like you are doing good. Its hard for people who always felt like some part of them was drowning. But you seem to be moving a lot of puzzle pieces at once. From you, a good reminder to get on the weight thing and brush up on materiel before next semester ! Hope the next one is just as good.

Dressagequeen 247

Hey dont be too hard on yourself. I hear those stories of people taking organic chemistry 16 times with conviction, obviously with little change from each semester. But as long as you reform, thats all that matters. Just tweak those study habits. Not everything moves at accelerating speed for everyone, sometimes u have an extended trot to the finish line:cat:

lilyzoo
I wasn't working a job, so shout out to people like you who are working and still taking classes. B+ is reallly good though ! Take a shot of whatever inspires you. I sometimes come out of volunteering really fired up, other friends watch some Grey's Anatomy lol and hey it works really well. A quick jog around the house, a chilli-pepper sandwich, etc. Anything to get that energy up ! I cant concentrate when I come home. I dont think I ever was able to do more than 3 pages in 12 hours. Too much distraction :confused: Best of wishes your semester was awesome :thumbup:

QuentinT88
You are the model fo the semester I would like to have. you are doing Phheeewww good work. I am taking physics II, Bio II, Chem II next semester, but no labs. I dunno how you pulled that off but amazing job. Seems like the mental break is inevitable, but its all about how quickly you recover. Did you take like day breaks or just time-lots of where you did no work? Or straight through just non-stop study ? Hope you keep in touch in one way or another, I look forward to your progress update. fingers crossed for that Orgo class :turtle::ninja:

EsotericAlchemy

Awesome that you did well your first year ! You are so early in and already you will have fixed some things for the next semester. Yeah I feel ya on experimenting with study habits, I feel like I took a lot of risks this semester that paid off. And then other times I covered way too much material. Need to find a middle ground like you, and oh yeah go through and find what study habits out there are effective. Please feel free to share what you have in mind for your schedule, I am really curious and wouldnt mind seeing what I can adopt form it :pompous::bucktooth: Good luck on the next set of classes, I know Pharm is a lot of work but absorb it all up with your new schedule. I am the person that tries to "card" everything. Need to think about if its fruitful or not.

Starting to think. Its a good idea to just make life a game of, how much and how hard you can get hit, and still get up. How many NOs can you funnel into a single YES. Gonna try to do some uncanny things for my extracurriculars :owle:

2 A's and 2 B's............ The B's are in heavy class participation courses. I've learned the error of my ways. Next semester I'm attending class. (I'm a little sad about this, but as my first semester back I'm viewing it as a wake-up call.
On a bright note I got over a 100% in Psych (if only it was a science course, like my professor claims it to be :))

All As this semester, and I'm pretty happy about that. I could've done better organizing my time, though. I need better management, specially because I will be doing both FT work and FT school next semester. I did more studying this semester than I remember ever doing in the past, so I'm definitely noticing the difference between going to school for whatever and doing it for something I actually want to do.

Anyway, now I'm just trying to enjoy the little time I have left before the spring semester starts, but there are so many things going on right now that I'm feeling just as stressed as ever. =/

I got an A in cell bio, an A- in genetics, a B in orgo and a b+ in genetics lab. I was 1% away from a B+/A- in orgo and the lab respectively, which was kind of a heartbreaker, but what can you do. This quarter was rough man.

Orgo is crazy. Easily the hardest class I have taken.

I'm not sure I can work harder, but I can work smarter. Hopefully next quarter will be better.

Last edited:
got a B in the bio class i was taking. unfortunately was in the high B range the entire semester but just couldn't bring my grade high enough because of my work and school schedule. got what i deserved but such a bummer! awaiting my ochem 2 grade which feels slightly more unpredictable

last semester of required prereqs for most schools. want to take 2 more classes that are required at some schools I'm looking into (biochem and upper div bio)

finally figured out how to study for ochem but too far along the semester. hoping i was able to do well on the final

Straight A's.

A's in Nutrition, Cell Bio, & Microbio. On to A&P I&II and Spanish while trying to find a job.

I survived my first semester of med school. Get my grades back in an hour, I'm scared/excited/happy to be done, so I can go home for a couple weeks and pretend to be a normal person again.

Reactions: 2 users
Best of luck to everyone next semester and enjoy your holiday break!

Last edited by a moderator:
BlastedHeath

Good for you ! I think most of the time people forget that its okay to feel like you are doing good. Its hard for people who always felt like some part of them was drowning. But you seem to be moving a lot of puzzle pieces at once. From you, a good reminder to get on the weight thing and brush up on materiel before next semester ! Hope the next one is just as good.

Dressagequeen 247

Hey dont be too hard on yourself. I hear those stories of people taking organic chemistry 16 times with conviction, obviously with little change from each semester. But as long as you reform, thats all that matters. Just tweak those study habits. Not everything moves at accelerating speed for everyone, sometimes u have an extended trot to the finish line:cat:

lilyzoo
I wasn't working a job, so shout out to people like you who are working and still taking classes. B+ is reallly good though ! Take a shot of whatever inspires you. I sometimes come out of volunteering really fired up, other friends watch some Grey's Anatomy lol and hey it works really well. A quick jog around the house, a chilli-pepper sandwich, etc. Anything to get that energy up ! I cant concentrate when I come home. I dont think I ever was able to do more than 3 pages in 12 hours. Too much distraction :confused: Best of wishes your semester was awesome :thumbup:

QuentinT88
You are the model fo the semester I would like to have. you are doing Phheeewww good work. I am taking physics II, Bio II, Chem II next semester, but no labs. I dunno how you pulled that off but amazing job. Seems like the mental break is inevitable, but its all about how quickly you recover. Did you take like day breaks or just time-lots of where you did no work? Or straight through just non-stop study ? Hope you keep in touch in one way or another, I look forward to your progress update. fingers crossed for that Orgo class :turtle::ninja:

EsotericAlchemy

Awesome that you did well your first year ! You are so early in and already you will have fixed some things for the next semester. Yeah I feel ya on experimenting with study habits, I feel like I took a lot of risks this semester that paid off. And then other times I covered way too much material. Need to find a middle ground like you, and oh yeah go through and find what study habits out there are effective. Please feel free to share what you have in mind for your schedule, I am really curious and wouldnt mind seeing what I can adopt form it :pompous::bucktooth: Good luck on the next set of classes, I know Pharm is a lot of work but absorb it all up with your new schedule. I am the person that tries to "card" everything. Need to think about if its fruitful or not.

Starting to think. Its a good idea to just make life a game of, how much and how hard you can get hit, and still get up. How many NOs can you funnel into a single YES. Gonna try to do some uncanny things for my extracurriculars :owle:

Here is my tentative weekly schedule for next block if you're interested. I will likely tweak it, but it gives me a rough idea of where I want to be on each day.
Wab7q2F.jpg

How's everyone semester ending for everyone ?
It wasn't anything unexpected, by some circumstances I did better than I thought would around midterms, but I landed an A in gen bio 1 and a C in gen chem 1.

Any good news for you guys ? Better study habits ?
Well the better study habits is the good news. I had a very challenging teacher for chemistry, which was the kick in the rear I really needed even though it wasn't doing much favors for my GPA. Really got in the habit of spending many hours in the library and actively taking notes. Kind of been slacking here on break though cause of bronchitis I've had for the past couple weeks, need to get back to getting to the library here soon o_O. Also found a soup kitchen I've started volunteering at that is fantastic.

Some difficulties ?
Anxiety and depression kicked in around the second quarter of the semester, really screwed me in chem early on. Thought I was going to fail the class again. Thankfully the volunteering actually seems to be a major counter for that. Also low study stamina, I had been using pomodoro's to try and help but if I have to put in consistent, long periods of study time for a good duration (like before finals) I get burnt out. I know better time management early on is going to really help that though I do realize at some point I'm just going to have to get used to the long hours since med school isn't going to be kind about it. I guess overall just trying to turn things around and go from the bad student I was the first time I went to college and in high school to the good student I need to be in order to become a good premed student is an ongoing challenge.

Ended well, as hoped. Only had one grad class this semester due to scheduling challenges. Nailed my final paper and final exam. Even better, think the prof thinks pretty highly of me now, so hoping he might be my non-science rec letter....

Difficulties: well, this is year five of working fulltime, plus commuting 2 hrs one way for class, I enjoy work and school, but it's just getting old to keep up this schedule. Definitely a bit burned out with a motivation decline. Also registered for the MCAT for jan. as a long shot to get in on the current administration (mainly due to my desire to have an abundance of vetted practice materials). But that just isn't going to happen, so now I'm going to wait til I'm finished with grad school and take the new exam.

Glad to see some of the circumstances people are achieving great things and learning through the rough schedules and times. Kind of makes me appreciative that at the time I am not employed, but to those of you who are, you are that much more able to juggle the medical field’s demands. I think I am coming to terms (late I know) that not everything can go how you would like it, no matter how much force you exert. You just roll with the punches – seems like the kind of stuff that everyone is doing.

EsotericAlchemy

Thank you for the schedule !! Glad to see “life” is also penned and squeezed in somewhere there. Gives us a good idea of how things operate, and also like the AM/PM contrast versus just thinking of I am here In the library from 8 am to 11 pm, which does detriment to motivation when you think you have so long.

wholeheartedly

I think it’s a great idea you waited. Too much gamble, and like the golden rule says, “the right time is when you are ready”. Finish that grad school off and then take your time until you feel ready. You don’t want to be one of the first shock-absorbers. Chattering my teeth awaiting to see what the test will be like.

I hope all grades that returned were favorable, I know several were waiting.

New Semester already started or is just about to for a majority of us – so best of wishes In the new semester !!!!! Clinging close to a lot of people stories and accomplishments here to stay motivated. Best of luck – report back some good grades
:luck::banana: