This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

williameb23

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Re-posting this in Military Medicine:

I'm looking for some insight into military medicine as a DO vs. MD. My understanding is that the two are virtually indistinguishable to the military, but I'm curious:

1) Are any residencies in the military less friendly to DOs (in general or compared to the civilian world)?

2) Is a DO handcuffed from any of the opportunities within the military, like getting a particular GMO (i.e. flight surgery in the Navy)?

3) Is OMM considered to be more beneficial in the military than in the civilian world because of the patient population you might see, or does it hold similar/less relevancy than the civilian DO world?

4) Could military medicine as a DO actually make you more competitive for a) residency upon completing a GMO, or b) job placement in the civilian world if you choose to leave the military after completing payback service?

All relevant experiences and insight are welcome!

Members don't see this ad.

I will say that OMM has worked wonders here in a semi-deployed environment. All these dudes have low/mid back pain. Most of them love when I adjust them, and if not, at least appreciate that I spend time to lay hands on them/offer an alternative to the usual treatment plan...

Reactions: 1 users
Re-posting this in Military Medicine:

My understanding is that the two are virtually indistinguishable to the military...
That is correct.

Q1,2,4 = No. Q3 = lots of Soldiers (especially pilots) are looking for manipulation over medication. I have used it much more in the military than in the civilian world.

Reactions: 1 users