This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

*Insert Name Here*

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

My recruiter and I just finished getting my kit together so that it would be submitted to the board this month. The only thing that surprised me is that MEPS was not required before the board. Apparently they can still select me as a recipient of the HPSP scholarship before MEPS results are in (I assume).

This makes me wonder...
1 - Assuming I'm accepted for the four year scholarship before I can get into MEPS, what would happen if I receive a physical disqualification in MEPS?
2 - Assuming this disqualification were something minor and easily fixable, would the navy change my scholarship from four years to three years?
3 - Would I have to reapply again from scratch the following year?

If anyone has had a similar experience or insight into the situation, I would be very grateful to hear your story. Yes, I suppose I could just wait to see what happens, but I'm curious to hear about similar experiences from others.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

My recruiter encouraged me to complete MEPS before submission. I guess each one does things differently!

My recruiter for the AF HPSP doesn't want to schedule me for MEPS until she's seen my DAT score - not taking until end of July this year. Since AF HPSP is SO competitive, and I think the board meets in August(?), this cuts it way too close for me but she doesn't seem to be concerned. She's the Health Professions recruiter in LA so half of me wants to trust her timeline, but the other half of me says I'm getting screwed just so that she can thin the herd.

Do recruiters make commission on us? Is there any incentive for another recruiter to work with me if I go to a regular recruiter's office and talk to a few others to scope out who I want to work with most?

Members don't see this ad :)
I just spoke to a recipient of a 4-year AF HPSP from 2016 and she also said that she didn't have to complete MEPS until after she received her scholarship. Is it possible the branches are changing up the process? Is it really safe to submit our applications without MEPS completed?

Is it really safe to submit our applications without MEPS completed?

The one sure way to not get the scholarship is to not put your packet forward. I can't speak for the Air Force, but for the Army the HPSP Selection Board is not shown the physical if there is one.

AF didn't tell me to do it until I was accepted

Navy had me do it before I can submit my packet.