HPSP C/O 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cluelessdr

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
starting a thread for HPSP applicants because I havent seen one. where is everyone at in their application??

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Just finished all the paperwork with the Navy recruiter two weeks ago. Meeting the AF recruiter this week to finish paperwork. I had to request a copy of my SS card since I left mine back in storage 1000+ miles away. Finished submitting a copy and now should be finished processing to schedule a date for MEPS next. Once MEPS is complete, then both branches will set me up to interview.

I'm also trying to figure out which branch I want to join more. I've been raised by a career Army father saying to join the AF if I ever do the military, and have lots of experience with AF bases having mostly grown up in Colorado (almost applied to USAFA in high school). I signed up being 110% for the AF. But I've never had any experience with the Navy so it's unfamiliar and foreign territory to me. I see two main things going for the Navy right now: 1) locations of bases seem overall ideal to me and my spouse - primarily on the coastline of US and overseas and in many dream spots we've wanted to experience living; 2) deployment on a ship, particularly an aircraft carrier or humanitarian ship, seem like cool experiences - along with the ports they visit across the globe giving me more opportunity to travel and "see the world." I do plan to make a career of whichever branch I join, so I just hope I don't regret my choice. My logic, history, and family says AF, but my heart is pushing for Navy.

Of course, I should definitely see what the AF even decides... it's such a competitive scholarship that the decision may end up being made for me. Either way, I'm not going to be disappointed, I'll be happy in either branch. If any current or past members of either branch could send me their insight, I'd really appreciate it.

Reactions: 1 user
Just finished all the paperwork with the Navy recruiter two weeks ago. Meeting the AF recruiter this week to finish paperwork. I had to request a copy of my SS card since I left mine back in storage 1000+ miles away. Finished submitting a copy and now should be finished processing to schedule a date for MEPS next. Once MEPS is complete, then both branches will set me up to interview.

I'm also trying to figure out which branch I want to join more. I've been raised by a career Army father saying to join the AF if I ever do the military, and have lots of experience with AF bases having mostly grown up in Colorado (almost applied to USAFA in high school). I signed up being 110% for the AF. But I've never had any experience with the Navy so it's unfamiliar and foreign territory to me. I see two main things going for the Navy right now: 1) locations of bases seem overall ideal to me and my spouse - primarily on the coastline of US and overseas and in many dream spots we've wanted to experience living; 2) deployment on a ship, particularly an aircraft carrier or humanitarian ship, seem like cool experiences - along with the ports they visit across the globe giving me more opportunity to travel and "see the world." I do plan to make a career of whichever branch I join, so I just hope I don't regret my choice. My logic, history, and family says AF, but my heart is pushing for Navy.

Of course, I should definitely see what the AF even decides... it's such a competitive scholarship that the decision may end up being made for me. Either way, I'm not going to be disappointed, I'll be happy in either branch. If any current or past members of either branch could send me their insight, I'd really appreciate it.

Location wise Navy win hands down. The only downside is the possibility of being attached to a ship and deploying. However some people don’t have a problem with that. Also, I know a lot of people who are not attached to a ship and serve with the marines instead.

Follow your heart and go navy :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm 95% done with applying to AF/Navy. Didn't have time for the Army application as I'm still in school and took tough summer classes. I need to get examined, get an acceptance then I'm set!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using SDN mobile

I'm 95% done with applying to AF/Navy. Didn't have time for the Army application as I'm still in school and took tough summer classes. I need to get examined, get an acceptance then I'm set!

what would you say takes the most time to complete? I still need to go to MEPS and get security clearance. I only filled out a little bit of paperwork (my recruiters are not the best out there and take forever with everything it seems like).

Probably organizing the letters. Gotta bite my rec writer's toes so damn much. I still need to go to MEPS too, probably next month. My paperwork wasnt too bad knocked most of it out in 2 days during summer.

I am done with my Air Force application (MEPS + Interview) and am currently completing the Navy application. Just have to get some medical records, and interview (which I have scheduled for next week) and I should be done. Good luck to everybody!

I am done with my Air Force application (MEPS + Interview) and am currently completing the Navy application. Just have to get some medical records, and interview (which I have scheduled for next week) and I should be done. Good luck to everybody!
Hey didn't you also apply to DCG??

I don't think so, but get started soon if you're going to do it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine too. When is your board? my recruiter said it is on November, 2018, but I heard there is one on October too.
First board was originally planned for December, which was moved up to October. They recently pushed the October board back to November. Seems like these guys can't make up their minds lol

Reactions: 1 users
Going to apply this week for Navy. Hope I am not too late.
Should be fine. My Navy recruiter just submitted my application today. The board doesn't meet this year till late November/ early December.

Should be fine. My Navy recruiter just submitted my application today. The board doesn't meet this year till late November/ early December.

I heard from my recruiter ~2 weeks ago that the first Navy board isn't meeting until Jan 15th. When did you hear that the boards meet in Nov/Dec?

I heard from my recruiter ~2 weeks ago that the first Navy board isn't meeting until Jan 15th. When did you hear that the boards meet in Nov/Dec?
My Navy recruiter told me boards were January as well

Hey guys, I applied this cycle, but I am just wondering if any of you on this post have any insight with medical waivers... I have Crohn's disease but really wanted to apply for HPSP. My recruiter hasn't gotten back to me on it in a while and I know the earlier I apply, the better. I've already done a lot of research, but I've found conflicting answers. Some people saying there is no way I could get a waiver, while others claim they know someone in XXX branch that has Crohn's and still serves. Thoughts or advice? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my SM-G950U using SDN mobile

just got cleared for MEPS, what to expect??
Interesting time. The base I went to was super chill, so I didn't experience anything too weird. You do a lot of general stuff, blood pressure, vision, hearing, weird exercises in your underwear, physical, give a urine sample etc. Also, they make you fill out a lot of medical paper work that is similar to the stuff you already filled out for your recruiter, just make sure you remember what you put so you can fill them out the same. When I went, most of the other guys there were getting ready to ship, so they just need to get a few things rechecked, so I was out of there at 9:30am. But if everybody there is getting the full meps treatment, it might be a long/boring day.

Is it too late to start the process for the navy? How did you all go about finding a recruiter? Thanks!

Similar to dentspade above. Im from CA, and was previously interested in the HPSP back in July, but was overwhelmed by the prospects of the military. However, now I am interested again. Does anyone know the timeline if I start dental school fall of 2019? Would it be too late to start at this point.

I submitted my AADSAS back in mid-July. currently in the midst of interviews.

I would say it is getting late, but not impossible though. You need to contact a recruiter ASAP and be very committed to handing in all documentation fast because you can control how long it takes to fill out but not how how long it may take to be processed. You can find a recruiter by doing a quick google search. If need be, you can call one of the Navy’s general recruiting station’s phone number and ask to be put in contact with a recruiter that can help with specifically HPSP.

My recruiter said this is the perfect time to get started. The first boards are in November, but also in December and January.

Just curious, but do you have to be a fourth-year undergrad student to apply for the 4-year Army scholarship? I went to a dental school interview and glanced at their HPSP flyer and it said the 4 year scholarships are offered to students in their final year of undergrad. This was written on their Air Force flyer. Is this correct, and if so, does that also apply to Army? I graduated from undergrad three years ago and I was possibly interested in HPSP army. My mind keeps wavering though and it's already October ... Can I still apply for the four year if I'm no longer an undergrad student?

Just curious, but do you have to be a fourth-year undergrad student to apply for the 4-year Army scholarship? I went to a dental school interview and glanced at their HPSP flyer and it said the 4 year scholarships are offered to students in their final year of undergrad. This was written on their Air Force flyer. Is this correct, and if so, does that also apply to Army? I graduated from undergrad three years ago and I was possibly interested in HPSP army. My mind keeps wavering though and it's already October ... Can I still apply for the four year if I'm no longer an undergrad student?
I applied for the 4-year scholarship 3 years after graduating college. As long as your grades are good and you have good recs, you're set. I applied in November for a December board. Get in touch with a recruiter ASAP and get letters of rec ready to go and a personal statement. Try to get one from a military dentist (ideal), or an officer and/or a dentist.

I hear my friends that applied for Air Force and Navy talk about interviews. I am applying for Army and my recruiter has not mentioned anything about an interview...are there no interviews for Army HPSP?

I hear my friends that applied for Air Force and Navy talk about interviews. I am applying for Army and my recruiter has not mentioned anything about an interview...are there no interviews for Army HPSP?

Nope

Please go easy on me, I've only just begin researching the HPSP.

If I were to apply to dental school next June, when should I start the application process for this scholarship?

Primarily interested in Navy, if that makes a difference.

Yesterday. Especially if interested in Navy as their 3year options are only for those who applied for the 4yr scholarship.

So apply right now to make it work, and stay on the recruiter.

If I were to apply to dental school next June, when should I start the application process for this scholarship?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

If you are applying next June, hoping to matriculate into dental school in 2020, then you would apply next summer, around the same time you are applying to dental school. I would reach out to a recruiter in early May to really get on top of it and get MEPS out of the way early.

Yeah Navy board is meeting in January. RIP.

Army board meeting in January as well...

Army board meeting in January as well...
My army recruiter just texted me saying it was moved back to January. Smh, these guys moved it from January to October to November and back to January again

It's rough because if we get December 3rd acceptances, we won't know if we are getting the scholarship. So we will have to make a decision on dental school not knowing if its paid for.

I feel you. I disclosed that I was medically diagnosed with ADHD and now I have to get cleared from my MD that I don't need or use medication for it anymore before I can be cleared to take MEPS.

It's rough because if we get December 3rd acceptances, we won't know if we are getting the scholarship. So we will have to make a decision on dental school not knowing if its paid for.
Pretty much, which means we might have to put multiple deposits down. One to secure a seat at the cheapest school and another at a school we'd like to go to if money wasn't a factor

Pretty much, which means we might have to put multiple deposits down. One to secure a seat at the cheapest school and another at a school we'd like to go to if money wasn't a factor
I honestly did not know that was a thing! Is a deposit simply to secure a seat? Can it be renounced at anytime (say in January when results come in)?

Most schools (if not all) have a two deposits. The first one you typically have a couple weeks to a month to put down, while the second one is not until April I believe. You can put down as many first deposits down as you want but only one second deposit. I have heard rumors that if you put two second deposits down that the schools have a right to revoke your acceptance because you are holding two different spots. So the first deposit is to essentially save your spot and the second is to make it official that you are going there. Just know that these deposits are probably all non refundable.

I honestly did not know that was a thing! Is a deposit simply to secure a seat? Can it be renounced at anytime (say in January when results come in)?

Yes, a deposit is non refundable and pretty much says you’re definitely going to be a part of their class until you decide to retract!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's weird that you all heard the boards got pushed back. My application went to the Army boards on October 16th and I got the call on October 26 that I was OFFERED the scholarship!!! Now just waiting for my scheduled med school interviews and hopefully an acceptance letter to complete my packet.

That's weird that you all heard the boards got pushed back. My application went to the Army boards on October 16th and I got the call on October 26 that I was OFFERED the scholarship!!! Now just waiting for my scheduled med school interviews and hopefully an acceptance letter to complete my packet.

I think it's considered weird to you because this is the dental forum, not the medical forum :p I'm not sure if army medical does it before dental, but based on what you said, that may be the case.

Are the first boards for the Navy in December or January? I keep hearing conflicting results.

Are the first boards for the Navy in December or January? I keep hearing conflicting results.
4 year hpsp boards:

Navy-January
Army-January
Air Force-December

Reactions: 3 users
I spoke to my recruiter yesterday and he let me know that Navy is January board.

Hey, so I just learned about the HPSP and was wondering if it was too late to apply?

Happy Veterans Day!!! Future Dental Corps Officers!!