Human Patient Care Simulator

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

El Medic

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello. I am just taking over a Patient Simulator lab at a large university. I would like to know some of your experiences, concerns and suggestions regarding the Patient Care Labs and Simulators. Feel free to post wahtever you want. I would like to improve our program and make it as user freindly to our students as possible. Thanks for your input.

Members don't see this ad.

our school's sim lab is all student run and I help organize and teach in it. My biggest thing, don't force students to work all the way through the scenario, just because that's what the docs want them to do... if they only get through taking the history or something simple, that's fine, as long as they learn that part well.

I don't know if this is anything like the thing my school does but here is my experience:

A) Don't expect medical students to be actors. Grading in standardized encounters is often geared towards students expression fake emotional empathy. This is patronizing and just downright annoying.

B) Personally, I think the simulators are largely a waste of time. A plastic robot will never be even remotely close to a human.

Members don't see this ad :)
Please explain the term "simulation lab."

We have actors who actually give us a grade at the end of the year, but they are all trained by the school and include no students. One school I interviewed at a while ago had students from other colleges (graduate, nursing, etc.) serve as actors, but not the one I go to.

Please explain the term "simulation lab."

We have actors who actually give us a grade at the end of the year, but they are all trained by the school and include no students. One school I interviewed at a while ago had students from other colleges (graduate, nursing, etc.) serve as actors, but not the one I go to.

We have actors and robots. We only used the robots once which is a good thing because it was a total waste of time.

Thanks for the feedback and keep it coming. I don't know what everyones exposure has been with the simulators. i.e. There are several different models from different companies and obviously some work way better than others. We also have the actors here. Basically they are involved in years 1 through 4. Students don't start the simulation on the computers until Year 2. we are currently using two different types of "SimMan"