I can't believe I am in this situation right now

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coronahopeful

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am new to this amazing forum and I would appreciate everyone's insight and much needed words of wisdom during this difficult time.

I am currently a graduate student pursuing a 1 year masters in biomedical science. I've worked hard to gain admission into this program - studied very hard for the GRE exam and took post-bacc courses to bring my cumulative GPA up to a 3.1.

I am now in my first semester of graduate school and it has come to a point in which I think I may have screwed my chances of dental school admission.

Here's why:
It's very likely I may be receiving a C in one of my classes along with 2 B's (given that i achieve an A in both of my exams). With 9 credits, I am looking at a GPA of 2.9. I really have no excuses but I want to get my **** together and truly turn this around. I feel so discouraged at this very moment and having a difficult time staying optimistic while studying for my finals.

I would truly appreciate your advice. Thank you for sharing!

Members don't see this ad.

I know I'm not in your situation, but I find it helpful when things get rough to take stock of what you've accomplished so far and remember that you chose to take on these challenges! It takes a certain type of person to pursue graduate and doctoral level degrees. You said it yourself, you worked hard to get into your Master's program, that is something to be proud of and let that give you confidence that you have what it takes to get through your masters! You have already shown you have what it takes! :) The semester isn't over yet so take the time to identify what you need to do these next few weeks. It will be tough, but remember the sense of accomplishment you had getting into your program, and how proud you'll be to have done your best. I know I'm just some random internet stranger, but I'll be cheering for you!

Hi everyone,

I am new to this amazing forum and I would appreciate everyone's insight and much needed words of wisdom during this difficult time.

I am currently a graduate student pursuing a 1 year masters in biomedical science. I've worked hard to gain admission into this program - studied very hard for the GRE exam and took post-bacc courses to bring my cumulative GPA up to a 3.1.

I am now in my first semester of graduate school and it has come to a point in which I think I may have screwed my chances of dental school admission.

Here's why:
It's very likely I may be receiving a C in one of my classes along with 2 B's (given that i achieve an A in both of my exams). With 9 credits, I am looking at a GPA of 2.9. I really have no excuses but I want to get my **** together and truly turn this around. I feel so discouraged at this very moment and having a difficult time staying optimistic while studying for my finals.

Are you in one of those programs with an attached dental school/guaranteed acceptance? I would reach out to them and see what they have to say. Also this is only your first semester, so you still have some time.

reach out to your academic advisors and see if you can get some help. really evaluate your study habits and learn to use anki etc. to be frank you will need to step it up big time and ace all of your other classes to make the most of the next year. Good luck :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

Here's why:

You didn't screw yourself over! Work hard and do your best to finish strong this semester. Then go super hard next semester to compensate for this one!!!! It's doable, but you really have to give it your all. This pandemic has us all a little frazzled, and I think admission committees will understand. Your GPA is just one part of your application- make yourself stand out in other areas (e.g. extracurriculars, volunteerism, DAT, personal statement, etc... ) Start reaching out to different programs now and express your interest, seriously! You got this! I was in your shoes during my first semester in graduate school. Change your study habits and remain focused! There's a seat waiting for you- remember that!

Reactions: 1 user
My first quarter in my one year masters was a 2.8, I improved each quarter, adjusted, and got into dental school that cycle. Message me for more info or if you have any questions. Dont lose hope.

Reactions: 1 users