I do not know what to do if I mess up on the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ZEH

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am really stressed about the MCAT! I take it in two weeks and I have not been making the scores I would like on the practice exams. I am really all over the place from 491-509. My summer is going to be hectic between work and internships and I do not know if I will have time to retake it this summer if I wanted to move it. And I really do not want to push off applying for a year because of the MCAT ( I am finishing my junior year and do not want a gap year).

Everything about my application is stellar. I have a highish GPA (3.8) 2oo + shadowing hours, 200+ volunteer hours, multiple research projects, leadership experience, etc. I just do not know what do about the MCAT it is really freaking me out....... Any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

You sound much like my friend , he ended up doing it even though he wasn't ready , didn't do too hot. It's better to wait and do it right than spend a bunch of money on applications and not be competitive and then have to retake and reapply anyways . Nothing wrong with a gap year

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile

Are these company practice exams (like Kaplan and Princeton Review) or the AAMC official one?

Members don't see this ad :)
Are these company practice exams (like Kaplan and Princeton Review) or the AAMC official one?
So the AAMC one I made a 509
Kaplan and Princeton are the ones I am making below a 500 on....

So the AAMC one I made a 509
Kaplan and Princeton are the ones I am making below a 500 on....
The Kaplan and princeton are notoriously deflated. It's common for people to score 10+ points above their company tests on the real thing. The 509 should be treated as the only good, legit predictor for test day.

Reactions: 1 user
Ditto what efle said. The practice tests by Kaplan and TPR are notoriously more difficult and deflated in terms of the real one. There's entire spreadsheets on Google Docs of people scoring ~500 or less on Kaplan, and to a lesser extent TPR, but scoring WAY better in the 85-100 percentiles on the real MCAT (don't have these sheets bookmarked on this device or I'd share link).

Stay confident in your abilities! You'd be surprised how much your level of confidence can affect your performance on test days. :)

Reactions: 1 user