I don't have a non-science LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

strongboy2005

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Will it hurt me if I don't have a non-science letter of recommendation? I have yet to have any kind of relationship with any of my non-science teachers, and I do not feel that any of them could write me a strong letter of recommendation. Are there any schools that would outright not consider me as an applicant if this is the case?

Members don't see this ad.

If the school asks for a letter from a non-science professor and you don't have one, it will not only hurt you, but at some schools they probably won't even consider you. They're going to wonder, for example, why you couldn't get one.

My advice: Just suck it up and ask one of your non-science teachers, even if you don't know them that well, to write you one anyway. Give them as much information as you can (that means a draft of your personal statement) and try and meet up with them to discuss your aspirations. You really need this letter.

all three of my lor were science teachers...i got in

Members don't see this ad :)
There are probably some schools that will take just the science LOR's, but very few from what I remember when looking up schools. The only way to find out which ones those are is looking up each individual school and searching for the info on their website or by calling up the schools. It is probably a good idea to develop a professional relationship with a non-science professor now. When I was getting my letters ready, I had the science LOR's all planned out, but no non-science one. I then enrolled in a social science course; after I got an A on the first paper, I went to speak with him, telling him I was planning on applying to medical school and if it were possible to get a LOR. He said it was okay. I gave him my information (resume, personal statement, transcript, etc.), and he actually submitted it before all other LOR's. From what he told me, it was a solid letter. I did manage to get some acceptances.

Good luck.

When are secondary applications generally due? I don't know if I'm going to be able to get a hold of a LOR from a non-science professor over the summer. I have an idea of who I would ask, but he is a temporary professor and doesn't have contact information available on the school's website.