I don't know what to do.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SJSUNNY

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I spoke to a pre-health professional advisor today, and he told me that I shouldn't apply this year, because my application was not strong enough. I want to hear your guys feedback.

So I graduated last year with biology degree. My cummulative GPA is 3.21 and my science GPA is 3.0. My DAT scores are academic:19, total science 21, PAT 18. My lowest score was the QRT, I had a 14.
I have a lot of dental experience, I worked as a dental assistant and last few months I went to developing countries with a group of dental students to provide free dental care to the people in impoverished villages.
Also, I dedicated a year of service in the Americorps program and volunteered over 1700 hours.
I understand that my GPA is low, but should that discourage me to apply this year? To fix this problem, I currently enrolled in two upper level science course.
What do you guys think?
Do you agree with the advisor?
I am just finishing up my personal essay and I don't know what to do?
??????????????????

Members don't see this ad.

I spoke to a pre-health professional advisor today, and he told me that I shouldn't apply this year, because my application was not strong enough. I want to hear your guys feedback.

So I graduated last year with biology degree. My cummulative GPA is 3.21 and my science GPA is 3.0. My DAT scores are academic:19, total science 21, PAT 18. My lowest score was the QRT, I had a 14.
I have a lot of dental experience, I worked as a dental assistant and last few months I went to developing countries with a group of dental students to provide free dental care to the people in impoverished villages.
Also, I dedicated a year of service in the Americorps program and volunteered over 1700 hours.
I understand that my GPA is low, but should that discourage me to apply this year? To fix this problem, I currently enrolled in two upper level science course.
What do you guys think?
Do you agree with the advisor?
I am just finishing up my personal essay and I don't know what to do?
??????????????????

Apply.

sorry to be mean but your gpa isnt exactly strong but your dat looks fine. a little on the weak side. the 14 might really hurt you. i THINK some dental schools have filters if you have lower than a 15 on any section they will probably just toss your application. i am not sure about this maybe someone can clarify?

however, i agree with lifeisgood and apply this year because it seems like you want to apply. make sure you submit asap. the first batch has already been sent. you want to make up your weaknesses by applying early. every year it is getting more and more competitive. next year the gpa/dat will be even higher.

after you apply this year think about taking the dat over and maybe doing a postbac or masters.

Members don't see this ad :)
Here's what I would recommend (I'm just finishing up my first year of dental school):

1. Fill out your application NOW and send it in next week. The sooner you get your application in the better chance you have - especially if you are weak in one area or another. It's good that you are pretty much done with your personal statement already - that's the hardest part. Also, apply to A LOT of schools to improve your chances. From all of your experience, it sounds like you are really passionate about dentistry and you could probably get some excellent recommendations - that should really make a difference.

2. Re-take your DAT. See if you can take a Kaplan course this summer and re-take your DAT afterwards. Go through EVERY SINGLE question and explanation on all of those Kaplan practice exams - this will really raise your
score. IF you can get a kick-a*s DAT score (which you CAN do - IF you want it bad enough), then I'm sure some schools will overlook your GPA.

3. Taking more classes to improve your GPA is smart - I'd recommend continuing that throughout this year - at least this fall... I would try to take the science courses you will take first year in dental school and do really well in them - this will show Admissions Committee's you can handle the material. Then you can update your application (with your improved GPA) at the end of each semester.

If you happen to not get in this year, then applying next year for the second time will show your dedication to the field, and it should improve your chances next year. So either way, applying this year can only help you. But, if you do these things and are prepared for your interviews, I bet you will get into at least one school this time around.

You can do this.:thumbup:

Please dont listen to your prehealth advisor. most of them are idiots. think about it, if they were smart or had a decent degree they wouldn't be an advisor. GPA is okay not bad but anything above 3.0 has a decent chance with good DAT scores. Your 14 in QR might be too low for some schools so retake the DAT and apply. Plenty of people with 3.2's got in.

Apply. Definitely. The earlier the better.

Do it now. Because you might get in, and wouldn't you feel silly if you didn't apply when you potentially could have gotten an acceptance?

Go for it, and good luck!

PS- I totally agree with the above post. My pre-health guy was a total jerk. It was almost as if he was there trying to discourage people from applying. Grrr...just thinking about it makes me kinda cranky

Here's what I would recommend (I'm just finishing up my first year of dental school):

1. Fill out your application NOW and send it in next week. The sooner you get your application in the better chance you have - especially if you are weak in one area or another. It's good that you are pretty much done with your personal statement already - that's the hardest part. Also, apply to A LOT of schools to improve your chances. From all of your experience, it sounds like you are really passionate about dentistry and you could probably get some excellent recommendations - that should really make a difference.

2. Re-take your DAT. See if you can take a Kaplan course this summer and re-take your DAT afterwards. Go through EVERY SINGLE question and explanation on all of those Kaplan practice exams - this will really raise your
score. IF you can get a kick-a*s DAT score (which you CAN do - IF you want it bad enough), then I'm sure some schools will overlook your GPA.

3. Taking more classes to improve your GPA is smart - I'd recommend continuing that throughout this year - at least this fall... I would try to take the science courses you will take first year in dental school and do really well in them - this will show Admissions Committee's you can handle the material. Then you can update your application (with your improved GPA) at the end of each semester.

If you happen to not get in this year, then applying next year for the second time will show your dedication to the field, and it should improve your chances next year. So either way, applying this year can only help you. But, if you do these things and are prepared for your interviews, I bet you will get into at least one school this time around.

You can do this.:thumbup:

Please dont listen to your prehealth advisor. most of them are idiots. think about it, if they were smart or had a decent degree they wouldn't be an advisor. GPA is okay not bad but anything above 3.0 has a decent chance with good DAT scores. Your 14 in QR might be too low for some schools so retake the DAT and apply. Plenty of people with 3.2's got in.

I agree with both of these posts.

Also, type up a summary/resume of all your experience (resume/cv), call all the dental schools you are applying to, make an appointment to do a phone conference with the director of admissions, and go over your information and get the information straight from the horse's mouth!

Couple questions:

Do want to get into a certain school, or will any school do?

Are you in a rush?

I took an extra year since I didn't know to apply early, and I'm glad I did. My application would have been slapped together and a lot weaker. I don't think I would have gotten in to the same schools as I did. In the past year I was able to work in a dental lab and shadow some more dentists (plus travel and have a little fun), and I think I'm more prepared for dental school because of it.

Your advisor didn't say don't apply, they just encouraged you to strengthen your application first. Really, what is a year? It's nothing in the big picture.

If you don't care about what school you get into, you just want to go somewhere, you want to start right away, and money isn't an issue, then definitely apply this year. Conversely, if you care about where you go, if you have to consider the cost, and/or if there isn't a reason you have to get started right away, I'd consider waiting.

All your experience sounds great. It should really help your application. However, right now your gpa is low, your DAT is average and the 14 will hurt. If I were you I'd take a year off science classes, raise my gpa, and retake the DAT. You could have a very impressive application if you take a little more time.

Whatever you decide, good luck :thumbup:

Your advisor is probably just being brutally honest with you. He may or may not be on target depending on how knowledgeable he is regarding the different dental schools.

If you don't get in this year, then you know that you need to up that GPA and retake the DAT. I would definitely take upper level division sciences to show that you can handle rigorous academics.

That's the average at my state school, and most people there don't even have as many extracurriculars.

That's the average at my state school, and most people there don't even have as many extracurriculars.

Wow. That would be nice. OP, do you have a state school?

Definitely apply...the QR isnt very important, although some schools have cutoffs. The 21 science average is impressive and your GPA is on the lower end of the scale, but still good enough to get accepted to some school.

Just get your stuff in as early as possible and you may want to think about retaking the DAT.

APPLY!!!! What does he know? He isn't on the selections committee (i don't think :))...And it doesn't hurt to try. Who knows, you might get accepted somewhere!

you guys are so great! i was bummed out all day when i heard this, but I feel so motivated and better because of all the feedback that i got from you guys.
So to answer your questions... i do want to get into one of schools in the northeast, but I really don't have any preferences. Because things are looking pretty bleak. i am just going to apply to as many schools as possible. also... my state school is University of Florida. I heard that it is really competitive to get into that school even if you are a FL resident. but we'll see. thanks again.

^try not to apply to more than 15? i heard if you apply to too much it will make you look desperate or less confident.

Hey, I listened to my "advisor" on choosing a major to prepare me for dental school. I graduated with nearly 200 credits, when I only needed 120. What do advisors know?? Had I done it my way I would've avoided 2 years of undergrad....

Apply. Your stats are similar to mine and I made it. Get your app in quick, and be agressive through the whole application process. Don't ever let anyone tell you that you shouldn't or can't.

I think you can apply for this cycle. My stats were similar to yours with respect to GPA and DAT. I had very good letters of rec. and personal statement, and extracurriculars. I ended up getting several interviews and acceptances so it is possible. Your best bet I think is to apply as early as possible to a number of schools you think you have a shot at, nail the interview, and the rest is out of your hands. Good Luck

apply.... dont listen to your advisor. best of luck.