I dont like premeds at all.........

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LoveMeShortTime

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just reading another post and someone made a comment that he didnt like premeds ! Me too ! I dont even like to talk to them at school. My cell bio class is about half premeds and I refuse to talk to any of them. I used to talk to them but all they want to talk about is med school. Gimme a break - just do what is in front of you and dont think about med school all the time. Are you a premed student who is always talking about the application process to anyone who will listen ? Do you like other premeds ?

Members don't see this ad.

Excuse me? Where are you posting this comment?

Why are you on here if you're not here for med school related stuff?

In fact, WHY START A THREAD?!?!? All of us here are pre-meds

I dont mind chatting about premed stuff on this board....... I just dont want to hear about it every day all day at school. I take it you are one of those people ?

Members don't see this ad :)
LoveMeShortTime said:
I was just reading another post and someone made a comment that he didnt like premeds ! Me too ! I dont even like to talk to them at school. My cell bio class is about half premeds and I refuse to talk to any of them. I used to talk to them but all they want to talk about is med school. Gimme a break - just do what is in front of you and dont think about med school all the time. Are you a premed student who is always talking about the application process to anyone who will listen ? Do you like other premeds ?

HAHAHA i agree. They are all worried about grades too, and openly discuss it. I hate that.

AxlxA said:
Excuse me? Where are you posting this comment?

Why are you on here if you're not here for med school related stuff?

In fact, WHY START A THREAD?!?!? All of us here are pre-meds

Maybe he's a self-loathing pre-med. You know, projecting his hatred of himself onto others.

I could see a pre-med disliking overzealous premeds, but all pre-meds? I dunno.

DarkFark said:
Maybe he's a self-loathing pre-med. You know, projecting his hatred of himself onto others.

I could see a pre-med disliking overzealous premeds, but all pre-meds? I dunno.

Yeah, just the ones that are a little too overzealous. Sry, I just hate grade ******.

I was an engineering major and I never attended a pre-med meeting before so I never really got to socialize with other pre-meds much except I used to volunteer at a local hospital with other pre-meds and our conversations do tend to cover the standard template... so... when are you taking your mcat... are you taking kaplan or princeton... whats your gpa... how many hours have you volunteered so far...

The doctors working there seem to despise the premed volunteers... especially when they have to listen to our inane chit chats... maybe because every time they see us they get flashbacks of a former version of their asskissing, stat-stuffing, pre-med selves. The nurses on the other hand seem to appreciate us more for at least saving them from some work.

LoveMeShortTime said:

Does that mean you as a premed, don't like yourself?

All premeds are not created equally. I hung out with a few pre-meds, I mean come on there hella premeds out there, you're going to find a few cool ones. But to tell you the truth I'm tired of being a pre-med myself.

I really feel sorry for you ChemMike, I really do, I can't believe anyone's pathetic enough to keep doing this.

Members don't see this ad :)
MWillie said:
I really feel sorry for you ChemMike, I really do, I can't believe anyone pathetic enough to keep doing this.

doing what?

MWillie said:
I really feel sorry for you ChemMike, I really do, I can't believe anyone pathetic enough to keep doing this.

Hahaha... You also immediately knew that this guy was OrganicMLover? How sad is it to spend your free time trolling on a premed site... Sad, sad indeed...

TheProwler said:
the OP is a perpetual troll

errrr... yea, i knew that, i called him out on another thread right when i realized it was him for what, the third time in 24 hours or so? anyway, its late, and ive gotten at most 7 hours of sleep in the past 3 days (thank god for caffeine drinks), i misinterpreted it as mwillie taking the trolls side and saying he was sorry he was being banned for no reason. time for bed! im going to sleep the entire day tomorrow!

"I'm a troll man....da da da...da da da...I'm a troll maa-aan..." :love:

hey why is everyone being so mean? premeds at my school sucked.

LoveMeShortTime said:

You knew it was inevitable: So what do you do, LoveMeShort?
Let's nip this recalcitrant issue right in the bud, shall we? ;)
K thanks bye. :laugh:

psycheout said:
You knew it was inevitable: So what do you do, LoveMeShort?
Let's nip this recalcitrant issue right in the bud, shall we? ;)
K thanks bye. :laugh:

im like a premed that worries about grades and talk about application proccess to whoever and im not joking. but i dont like ppl who are like me. heh. what scares me is that if i dont into med school, everyone would be like whoa he didnt get into med school and ill feel like ****zor forever.

I hate premeds. When people ask me what I'm studing, I really don't like saying that I'm pre-med because of all the negative connotations. I always preferred the term "future doctor"

stifler said:
im like a premed that worries about grades and talk about application proccess to whoever and im not joking. but i dont like ppl who are like me. heh. what scares me is that if i dont into med school, everyone would be like whoa he didnt get into med school and ill feel like ****zor forever.

Stifle yourself, Edith! :eek: Haha just havin fun with you.

at my school, pre-meds aren't really looked down upon so much as other people on SDN say they are at their schools...

TheProwler said:
the OP is a perpetual troll
sorry, i;m new to SDN and don't know what OP or troll means...could someone share this w me?

lumaya said:
sorry, i;m new to SDN and don't know what OP or troll means...could someone share this w me?
Hi lumaya and welcome to SDN :)

From the SDN FAQ description:

Trolling / Repeat Trolls

The term troll is a slang term used to describe a number of things, traditionally it refers to a person who posts items intended to incite controversy or conflict. An individual posting honestly-held but controversial opinions is welcome at SDN. However, trolls are not. A troll's primary incentive is the incitement of conflict. Trolls often resort to verbal abuse, making inflammatory remarks maligning the motivation of other guests. Those guests that behave in this manner will be banned immediately and without notice. Banned trolls that return to the SDN Forums will be immediately banned again upon identification of their new account. Those who repeatedly return to troll will have their IP address blocked.
For a more general definition:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_troll

jtank said:
at my school, pre-meds aren't really looked down upon so much as other people on SDN say they are at their schools...
I don't think people look down on pre-meds, although I usually have a skeptical opinion of most of them, because so many freshmen in gen chem think they're pre-med until the first test comes back. I usually just smile and nod when someone says they're pre-med.

TheProwler said:
I don't think people look down on pre-meds, although I usually have a skeptical opinion of most of them, because so many freshmen in gen chem think they're pre-med until the first test comes back. I usually just smile and nod when someone says they're pre-med.
Better yet is the decrease in class size after the first test. I wonder how many people who drop still think they're pre-med after the 30% on the first test.

ive found that is more the case in organic chem after the first test

TheProwler said:

That's funny. I don't mind other pre-meds, but I remember when I got my first acceptance in, one of the first things I thought about was not having to refer to myself as "pre-med" much longer! :) I find that when people hear "pre-med" they generally smile and nod in a way that says "That's nice, someone who thinks they can get into med school. How cute". Maybe that's just how it is in my area.

The only problem with premeds at my school is that there are too many of them. Our science advisor said that about 1/4-1/2 the class is thinking about med at the moment and keeps encouraging everyone to think about different options as well. I'm in first year btw. I'm guessing the amount of premeds will decreases significantly as the years go by.

koopa_troopa said:
The only problem with premeds at my school is that there are too many of them. Our science advisor said that about 1/4-1/2 the class is thinking about med at the moment and keeps encouraging everyone to think about different options as well. I'm in first year btw. I'm guessing the amount of premeds will decreases significantly as the years go by.

Yup. It's like a funnel. Typically the chemistry department is assigned the task of weeding everyone out. General Chemistry weeds out the weak, Organic weeds out the average. The MCAT weeds out even more of the remainder. Finally, you have the group of applicants, about 70% of whom (at my school anyways) will get in somewhere. It's quite an extensive process, really. You'll see.

koopa_troopa said:

I assume your school is JHU?

Without Wax said:
I assume your school is JHU?

why would you guess that? youd be surprized by what the real percentage of "premeds" is at at other schools, 1/4 is at least average id say, 1/3 even.

PostalWookie said:
I hate premeds. When people ask me what I'm studing, I really don't like saying that I'm pre-med because of all the negative connotations. I always preferred the term "future doctor"

Hmm, I don't use future doctor. I just tell them I am studying chemical engineering. No fake smiles, usually people just take a few steps back, and mutter something about nerds in disguise. Why doesn't everyone just tell people their real major? There aren't too many places offering pre-med as a major, right?

hoberto said:
Hmm, I don't use future doctor. I just tell them I am studying chemical engineering. No fake smiles, usually people just take a few steps back, and mutter something about nerds in disguise. Why doesn't everyone just tell people their real major? There aren't too many places offering pre-med as a major, right?
The problem with that is after one is asked their major, the immediate follow-up question is "what are you going to do with that?" or "What are you going to do after college?" So it is just easier to say pre-med so it cuts the questioning down.

Doc.Holliday said:
why would you guess that? youd be surprized by what the real percentage of "premeds" is at at other schools, 1/4 is at least average id say, 1/3 even.

Good Lord! Not at my school...I'd say no more than 1/10 of each entering class is premed, and that's a high estimate. That said though, I go to a huge state school where the emphasis is definitely on vocational programs like business, engineering, etc.

Having 1/3 or 1/4 of the entering class be premed would suck I think. The environment is toxic enough with only 1/10th of us being premed!

Shredder said:
ive found that is more the case in organic chem after the first test

It was the second ORGO exam for me - they dropped like flies. The prof mentioned he do whatever he could to help people drop the course so the grade wouldn't haunt them (class avg 48).

Yea- Koopa and Doc. are you guys talking 1/4-1/3 of entering class? or entering science majors. I'd agree that ~1/3 of entering science major have medical school ambitions (or at least thoughts), but certainly not such high proportions of the entering class. That would translate to hundreds of thousands of wanna-be doctors.

BrettBatchelor said:
The problem with that is after one is asked their major, the immediate follow-up question is "what are you going to do with that?" or "What are you going to do after college?" So it is just easier to say pre-med so it cuts the questioning down.

Ah, I might get asked, "What the hell is that?", but normally they just move away or change the subject.

Reimat said:
Yea- Koopa and Doc. are you guys talking 1/4-1/3 of entering class? or entering science majors. I'd agree that ~1/3 of entering science major have medical school ambitions (or at least thoughts), but certainly not such high proportions of the entering class. That would translate to hundreds of thousands of wanna-be doctors.

yeah, i meant science majors. Sorry for the confusion.

LoveMeShortTime said:

the one thing i hate more than premeds is people who are always complaining about premeds; im not saying that is you, but that you started a thread on this topic lends a hint. But yah, i pretty much knew two or three people from my premed classes and that was it; more interesting to hang out with others, esp. the philosophers

Not ALL pre-meds are obsessed with school and nothing else. Yes, those are all unique bottles. Yes, they are in the same room. Yes, I got accepted to medical school (class of 2009). No, we are not currently in treatment.

Haybrant said:
the one thing i hate more than premeds is people who are always complaining about premeds; im not saying that is you, but that you started a thread on this topic lends a hint. But yah, i pretty much knew two or three people from my premed classes and that was it; more interesting to hang out with others, esp. the philosophers

Haybrant, there's A LOT to hate about this poster (Lovemeshorttime). Just look up OrganicMLover and drink some haterade.

UNOStudent01 said:
Not ALL pre-meds are obsessed with school and nothing else. Yes, those are all unique bottles. Yes, they are in the same room. Yes, I got accepted to medical school (class of 2009). No, we are not currently in treatment.

mustve been the cowbell that did the trick

Shredder said:
mustve been the cowbell that did the trick

hey who sells that t-shirt that says "gotta have more cowbell" ???

i'm thinking hot topic or some other mall store riddled with pre-teen angst

heh. I didn't even realize there was another anti pre med post right below me.

SitraAchra said:
hey who sells that t-shirt that says "gotta have more cowbell" ???

i'm thinking hot topic or some other mall store riddled with pre-teen angst
i typically turn to google for all the answers to lifes questions

Who in the heck identifies themselves as pre-med anyhow? Do other schools have pre-med majors or something? Like, how does this even come up? If someone asks me my major, I say genetics or psych or whatever... I do not say I'm pre-med because that is not a major. Only recently since I'm graduating has this topic come up, as in, what are you doing after graduation? (To which I then reply, going to medical school). However, in my first three years of college, it didn't really come up that I was pre-med. No one would ever come up to me and ask, so what are you planning on doing after college, ya know, in 2 years? Likewise, no one would randomly ask me, so are you taking the MCAT or anything? So basically, I don't get how it even comes up as an issue that someone is a pre-med. Anyone care to elaborate?