I feel like I'm a failure.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheOfficialSwan

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new.

I would like to keep this short, of course, I am willing to answer any questions you might have.
I am a pre-med student in a community college who will transfer soon.
This is my second year in this college.

I have gone though a lot these past few years. Undiagnosed OCD and ADD led me down very hard paths. I was suicidal, anxious and failing.

My first semester of college I did terribly. I ended up withdrawing from a class (Which was really two courses together) I took but never liked and failed the rest.
My next semester I was diagnosed with ADD, I started taking my mediation and I ended up with 3 As one B, and I withdrew from another class because I had overloaded myself.

Unfortunately when things were looking good my undiagnosed OCD reached its peak, and the ADD medication was not helping it. I went into a mania. I was on the verge of suicide when I got myself into a mental hospital. I spent all summer there, and took the last semester off (1st semester of my Sophomore year) I got off the medications which gave me severe withdrawal symptoms. I was in bed most of the time. But I was better. Mentally I felt better. However because I was taking summer classes at the time when I got myself into a hospital, I had to drop another class. That makes 4 in total.

So here I am. I am scared ****less. Did I ruin it for myself? I am coming back this semester (2nd semester of my sophomore year), taking it easy with just 3 classes for now, and a side job.

I know my transcript is gong to look horrible. I am at such a loss about what to do. Should I pick another career path?

Members don't see this ad.

It's a slow process to recovery, I'll tell you that. But hey, when you fix something, you want to do it slowly and carefully and hastily where it will be broken again. I've been in your shoes so I want to say you'll get there!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
As I am sure @Goro will tell you, don't attempt to tackle getting into medicine until you take care of your mental health.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Focus on your health first. Med school will always be there.
A few bad semesters due to health issues is pretty easily forgiven if they're followed by a few years of strong academic performance.

Reactions: 1 users
It is more important to get your health in order first. Medical school can wait and isn't going anywhere.

Best to hit the pause button and focus on yourself. Seriously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would worry much more about your mental health and less about your career path at this point. Burnout, depression, and suicide are already high in prevalence in medicine.

I hate to discourage you too much, but Iam a straight shooter. Asking about a career in medicine while you are currently in the throws of struggling mental health is similar to asking me if I think it's a good idea to put cocaine in front of an alcoholic. Someone with susbtance abuse problems is likely to struggle with other substances. Similarly, someone with poorly controlled mental health is more likely to struggle in med school, residency, and in practice.

While not completely the same, the point is that if you struggle badly with mental health issues prior to going into the medical field before getting them properly treated I would fear for your well being and life.

Seek help. Take care of yourself first. Your career is secondary.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

You are many years away from an application to medical school. Many people drop the idea of a career in medicine somewhere along the path and find another career for which they are well-suited. More than half of the people who get far along enough on the path to apply to medical school do not get admitted and, one presumes, find another career that makes the most of their talents and desire to work hard.

If you do get to the point of applying to medical school, an application reader will see your GPA by year and your academic record and say, "there is a story there. I wonder what happened?" You get to tell that story. You can tell as much as you feel comfortable telling and tell it in your own words. Your medical record is private and is not part of your medical school application. You had an exacerbation of a chronic illness and you were treated by physicians for your condition. You got better, had some other health issues, and got those treated. Once you regained your health, you had smooth sailing academically. You can choose whether to be more specific and use the term "mental" to modify "illness" and "health" or you can be vague just as someone might be if they had rheumatoid arthritis or Crohn's disease.

Reactions: 6 users
Listen to the above about (1) Prioritizing mental health and (2) Being open to other jobs, but here's an answer to your actual question.

No, your medical career is not over. Poor grades can be overcome by sustained excellent grades later on (which is why prioritizing mental health is so vital, as you've seen from your transcripts you need it to do well). You have a great essay for the 'Disadvantages' and 'Adversity' questions on the med school app.

The only thing that really puts you out of the running is crimes/Institutional Actions (especially things like plagiarism/cheating--don't do it!). People in their forties get into med school, don't worry about being delayed.

Your Priorities:
1. Mental Health
2. Grades
3. Premed ECs

You can do it!

Hi everyone, I'm new.

I would like to keep this short, of course, I am willing to answer any questions you might have.

I have gone though a lot these past few years. Undiagnosed OCD and ADD led me down very hard paths. I was suicidal, anxious and failing.

My first semester of college I did terribly. I ended up withdrawing from a class (Which was really two courses together) I took but never liked and failed the rest.
My next semester I was diagnosed with ADD, I started taking my mediation and I ended up with 3 As one B, and I withdrew from another class because I had overloaded myself.

Unfortunately when things were looking good my undiagnosed OCD reached its peak, and the ADD medication was not helping it. I went into a mania. I was on the verge of suicide when I got myself into a mental hospital. I spent all summer there, and took the last semester off (1st semester of my Sophomore year) I got off the medications which gave me severe withdrawal symptoms. I was in bed most of the time. But I was better. Mentally I felt better. However because I was taking summer classes at the time when I got myself into a hospital, I had to drop another class. That makes 4 in total.

So here I am. I am scared ****less. Did I ruin it for myself? I am coming back this semester (2nd semester of my sophomore year), taking it easy with just 3 classes for now, and a side job.

I know my transcript is gong to look horrible. I am at such a loss about what to do. Should I pick another career path?

Get your mental health in order first. You need to help yourself before you can start treating patients. Or as an attending I see puts it:

"You cannot be less together than the patients you are seeing"

A sustained stretch of good grades will allay any fears that Adcoms might have.

But you need to heal first.

Hi everyone, I'm new.

Reactions: 5 users