i have a question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Canadian Health&Care Mall

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is it worth it to get a psychological degree just for yourself, to kind of understand yourself and have basic knowledge of the human mind?
Tell me if i wrong.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it worth it to get a psychological degree just for yourself, to kind of understand yourself and have basic knowledge of the human mind?
Tell me if i wrong.

It won't do that. But good psychotherapy will/might (and will cost less unless you long term psychoanalysis)? But so good could self help books, religion or missionary work, traveling, etc,

Last edited:
Tell me if i wrong.
Get a degree in a field in which you'd like to work. If you're currently taking classes, then take a couple of psychology classes. A degree only for self-discovery isn't worth the expense.

Sent from my [device_name] using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Iirc, psychology majors have the second highest unemployment rate. So it would seem like a silly thing to spend 5 figures in tuition for self knowledge just to hamper your employment. A fraction of that would buy a lot of psychotherapy.

Self help books I like:

Wherever you go there you are.
I never knew I had a choice
The 60 second shrink

I guess the question is, are you independently wealthy? I mean, if I were rich, and had no need to work ever again, I might collect degrees. I enjoyed my college coursework.

However, if you just want to embark on some self-discovery while learning some psychology, I'd suggest maybe a few courses at a local community college and engaging in some dynamic oriented therapy of some sort possibly.

If you're interested in psych in general, I second the idea of signing up for some community college classes, but you might also consider finding some intro to psych books (an edition or 2 out of date to keep it cheap) and peruse it to see what interests you most, then go from there. Or a counseling textbook. That might give you a broad overview and then you can have a better idea of more specifically what interests you.

Reactions: 1 users
I want to clarify that you can have education in my country almost for free
Its not so expensive as in US