i have really bad allergies. if i am lucky enough to go to duke (off the waitlist),

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

oldman

Senior Citizen
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
should i still go?

when i was in baltimore i had terrible allergies. severe asthma, eyes swollen shut, and congestion.

i have a bad feeling durham, NC will be worse cause of the warmer climate.

Members don't see this ad.

have you tried Claritin? I have friends with pretty severe allergies, and they say it works wonders...

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
isn't Claritin (or its clones) gonna be available over the counter soon?

Ive tried all of those meds then went on allergies shots, I haven't had an attack intwo years. See an allergist it will amaze you how much better you will feel.

Oldman, if that's your only choice, I'd say go for it. Allergies are usually seasonal. But, it may require being even more aggressive with your allergy/asthma medications -- talk with your FP or allergist.

BTW, Claritin is going OTC first quarter 2003.

Those are some serious medications :)

What are your other options? I'd probably still go...seasonal allergies would probably affect you only a portion of the year. Do they know what specifically you're allergic to?

Have you tried cromolyn or zafirlukast? Both are prophylactic measures (reduces mast cell degranulation and antagonizes leukotrienes) that help prevent allergic reactions.

The bright side is...your immune system works :)

•••quote:•••Originally posted by Lee A Burnett:
•Oldman, if that's your only choice, I'd say go for it. Allergies are usually seasonal. But, it may require being even more aggressive with your allergy/asthma medications -- talk with your FP or allergist.

BTW, Claritin is going OTC first quarter 2003.•••••now this is what I call service....he takes care of all of us, by not only giving us a wonderful website to help us network, but gives each and individual attention to all his patients....

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :D

PS can I be a moderator now? :wink: :p