I Just Bought My Scrubs For Anatomy!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fireflygirl

The Ultimate Blindian
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So as sorry as this is right now, I decided to head out to the outlet stores and do some shopping and what did I find? An entire scrubs outlet store for healthcare professionals!!! So I got myself a decent pair of shoes for lab and 2 sets of scrubs. They also had some books that were dscounted including Netter's and BRS and I was so tempted to buy, but I thought that I was pathetic enough for going out and getting my 'anatomy gear' about 5 weeks before medical schools starts, and it would be even more sad to actually get the texts before even starting orientation :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to use a ****ty old pair of running shoes in the lab, and just put new inserts in them or something. And I've got plenty of scrubs from work, most of which have gotten plenty of stuff that is way grosser than what I'll have to deal with from my cadaver on them.

Members don't see this ad :)
So now I think the sneaker idea is a good one and I shouldn't have invested in those hospital shoes - forget what they are called - but they are simple black ones and I figured they would come in handy for a lot of lab related stuff. Plus I was out the outlets so I got a good deal on everything. They were trying to sell me all these fancy colorful tops, and when I told them the were going to get all types of human fluids all over them, they stopped trying to sell it to me :laugh:

is there a dress code for scrubs? does it have to be the plain green ones or a solid color and can you wear whatever youd like? I have an obsession with the 49ers, and i would totally rock scrubs that had 49er emblems on it.

POst a picture in your scrubs. That should be a new sdn thread, of new med students in a pair of scrubs.

Just remember: in a few short months you'll be throwing out those scrubs and maybe even the shoes. TT has a great suggestion for the shoes. As far as scrubs go, I'd just go with one cheap pair for anatomy. Wash them weekly. You'll still have to throw them out at the end of anatomy, but you can get away with just one pair.

My hubby said it took a month after anatomy was done for the smell to be completely out of my hair. :eek: Apparently long hair really holds on to it, no matter how often you wash it.

My hubby said it took a month after anatomy was done for the smell to be completely out of my hair. :eek: Apparently long hair really holds on to it, no matter how often you wash it.

Good thing my head is shaved. :hardy:

Just remember: in a few short months you'll be throwing out those scrubs and maybe even the shoes. TT has a great suggestion for the shoes. As far as scrubs go, I'd just go with one cheap pair for anatomy. Wash them weekly. You'll still have to throw them out at the end of anatomy, but you can get away with just one pair.

Grrrrrreat. :thumbdown: I guess it's time to actually shave my head. Maybe my husband won't smell it on me though since it will be on him too. :cool:

Speaking of anatomy lab, random question: does anyone know if we'll need lab goggles/glasses, like the kind they make you wear in chem lab in undergrad?

I would imagine that they will want you to wear goggles.

Posted via Mobile Device

I spent a few weeks in an anatomy lab and we never had to wear any goggles or anything. Might vary by school. I suspect the risk of acid flying into your eyes is slightly less in an anatomy lab.

I've already stole plenty of scrubs to coast by an anatomy course...and to sleep in. I didn't know people actually bought them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I did a summer enrichment program at the University of Texas down in Houston 2 years ago, and we didn't have to wear goggles when we were dissecting in the lab.

already ahead of you, princess:)

BTW, how much did you pay for those scrubs? I got the dickies ones for really cheap.

you'll need them if you do any bone work like laminectomies with bone saws or chisels. But there should be a spare pair or two in the lab.

Gloves would be nice though. Lots of gloves.

I am thinking a good pair of water/slip resistance shoes must be a plus. Otherwise all of our socks may be orange, brown, or any other intersting color at the end of the year.:oops:

I'm gonna get some scrubs like the Todd... banana hammock and all.

Anyone know about wearing crocs in anatomy lab? I've always been partial to them... though they arehideous they're pretty comfortable.

you'll need them if you do any bone work like laminectomies with bone saws or chisels. But there should be a spare pair or two in the lab.

Gloves would be nice though. Lots of gloves.

Speaking of gloves. Do most schools usually provide students with gloves, or are the students on their own?

I hope the gloves are of decent quality. The ones in undergrad they gave us were about as good as tissue paper.

Grrrrrreat. :thumbdown: I guess it's time to actually shave my head. Maybe my husband won't smell it on me though since it will be on him too. :cool:

To be completely honest, it's a huge turn-off when others smell like anatomy lab. I would suggest showering before seeing significant others AND working out after lab can be a bad idea... the smell comes out of your damn pores. I did it anyway, but it sucked at times.

Last edited:
I spent a few weeks in an anatomy lab and we never had to wear any goggles or anything. Might vary by school. I suspect the risk of acid flying into your eyes is slightly less in an anatomy lab.

I've already stole plenty of scrubs to coast by an anatomy course...and to sleep in. I didn't know people actually bought them.

Worst experience of my life may have been when I did the laminectomy and went to lunch. I was about to take a bite out of my sandwich when I smelled anatomy lab on my hands... the first week I didn't have nitrile gloves. Took a bite of my sandwich anyway... CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH. Bone dust had gone into my mouth. Don't talk or breathe through your mouth while sawing.... learned it the hard way. Almost vomited in front of everyone.

So, in review:

1. LATEX GLOVES DON'T WORK -- BUY NITRILE
2. Don't talk while using the bone saw and breathe through your nose. OR wear a mask (which was available to us...).
3. "Bisecting the pelvis" may sound humorous and cute. It's not. When you see a hot girl in your class wrist-deep in #2...well, you may never be the same.
4. Finally, anatomy lab was the best way to learn everything. Go to lab often... I didn't start doing better on my exams until I started going to the lab far more than I care to remember. Several times per week outside of class ... by yourself... in groups...etc
5. When you can't go into lab, I highly recommend Accland's videos.

:luck:

I'm gonna get some scrubs like the Todd... banana hammock and all.

Anyone know about wearing crocs in anatomy lab? I've always been partial to them... though they arehideous they're pretty comfortable.

Until a bit of fascia drops onto your foot and soaks through your sock... :smuggrin:

:barf:

Worst experience of my life may have been when I did the laminectomy and went to lunch. I was about to take a bite out of my sandwich when I smelled anatomy lab on my hands... the first week I didn't have nitrile gloves. Took a bite of my sandwich anyway... CRUNCH CRUNCH CRUNCH. Bone dust had gone into my mouth. Don't talk or breathe through your mouth while sawing.... learned it the hard way. Almost vomited in front of everyone.

So, in review:

1. LATEX GLOVES DON'T WORK -- BUY NITRILE
2. Don't talk while using the bone saw and breathe through your nose. OR wear a mask (which was available to us...).
3. "Bisecting the pelvis" may sound humorous and cute. It's not. When you see a hot girl in your class wrist-deep in #2...well, you may never be the same.
4. Finally, anatomy lab was the best way to learn everything. Go to lab often... I didn't start doing better on my exams until I started going to the lab far more than I care to remember. Several times per week outside of class ... by yourself... in groups...etc
5. When you can't go into lab, I highly recommend Accland's videos.

:luck:

ugh gag! that sounds sooooo gross. I think another poster asked about what color and I bought the typical blue ones and another pair that is navy blue. I am also going to buy cheap long sleeved shirts to wear underneath since when I toured there, the lab was freaking cold!!! As for goggles, I am actually saving mine from o-chem lab just in case I need them. And I'm not thrilled by the idea that my hair which comes down to nearly my hips is going to smell like anatomy lab for at least a month after lab is over.....ugh :rolleyes:

To be completely honest, it's a huge turn-off when others smell like anatomy lab. I would suggest showering before seeing significant others AND working out after lab can be a bad idea... the smell comes out of your damn pores. I did it anyway, but it sucked at times.

Yeah I'm sure it's not an attractive scent. The only thing I have going for me is that my husband will also smell like anatomy lab. Unfortunately I have much longer hair than he does so I'm thinking it will be worse on me. Maybe I can find some industrial strength shampoo before anatomy starts. :idea:

this is kinda unrelated...but during my anatomy lab, things got a lil squishy, if you will.
on definitely more than one occasion did somebody get cadaver juices splashed on them. There was even one guy who got hit in the eye with flying cadaver juice!
maybe in addition to anatomy scrubs, we should look to pick up some goggles as well...

I'm going to use a ****ty old pair of running shoes in the lab, and just put new inserts in them or something. And I've got plenty of scrubs from work, most of which have gotten plenty of stuff that is way grosser than what I'll have to deal with from my cadaver on them.

TT have you noticed they have Longhorn Scrubs out now? Pretty cool! I figured you already had 3 or 4 pair but just in case, now you know!

:laugh: that his hilarious. As for crocs, I think they're as annoying as the whole uggs thing but that's just me. I just bought those hospital clogs which I think are much more comfortable anyways!

I actually think uggs look hot on girls.

TT have you noticed they have Longhorn Scrubs out now? Pretty cool! I figured you already had 3 or 4 pair but just in case, now you know!

A friend of mine just got me a set, actually. Along with the "Longhorn" retractable cord thingy for my badge, and the matching surgical scrub cap. The scrub pants don't fit though, so I'm going to swap them out when I get the chance.

a

Last edited: