I just have a couple questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ORamahiii

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So freshman year I took
Chem 1: C+
Comp 1: A
BioE: C+
Calc: D

Chem 2: C+
Retake of a two part Calc 1: B in first half B in second half (4 credits each?)
Psych: B+
Theatre : A

Then I got my ish together and stopped messing around.....

Summer: Ochem 1: A

Now I'm a sophomore and this semester my classes are:
Bio 1: either B+ or A-
Physics: B
Stats : A
Comp 2: A
Sociology: A

Next Semester (still not 100% but)
Ochem2: (Hopefully can get an A but worst case B+)
Bio 2:(Same prof as bio 1 so hopefully an A)
Public Speaking:( No doubt A)
American Sign Language:( No doubt A)

Summer 17: I am planning on taking Genetics since I am slightly behind due to not taking bio classes my first year..

So my questions are: Should I take the DAT this coming summer so the end of my sophomore year? My thought process was to try and get it over with because I thought it would be easier to study for it this summer then during the semester.. Plus I know I need time to study for it and really focus because I have never been an awesome standardized test taker..

I also know I messed up first year but I really am getting my ish together and I'm serious if i screwed myself..?

I transferred first semester from a school, second semester to a different school, and now I'm at my third school.. BUT I am here fro good haha.. my first school I was not happy at, and my second school got too expensive and now I am officially here.

Also when would be the best time to take my DAT?

I think first semester I got like a 2.9? and second semester it came out to a 3.0? without my summer classes and now I'm no doubt on deans list this semester, and will hopefully plan on being on it again next semester. I want to apply my junior year, and don't even want to have to wait till my senior year.. I live in Ohio.

Next year my science classes that I am taking are : Ecology, evolutionary biology, cell and molecular biology, biochem 1, and Genetics(this summer), and summer upper level science electives.. Im hoping to only keep my GPA going up and know I can do it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Im calculating my science GPA now off one of those college GPA calculators, and I have to get an A in almost every class just to get my science GPA to a 3.28. But i feel like my OverallScience GPA will be a lot higher..

I would recommend to take the DAT in August of the start of your junior year (right before fall semester starts, not after). That will allow you to have the whole summer to study. Do not take classes or work that summer.
Then, you'll be applying in June of the following year. Before the start of your senior year.

Crack the DAT and keep boosting your GPA.

Also, start building good relationships with your Professors so you can get awesome LORs.
Get 100 shadowing hours in 5 different offices and as many volunteering hours as possible (300+)

Members don't see this ad :)
So, basically yeah. The start of your junior year is the end of your sophomore year, so yes.

Maybe take the genetics course next fall and then another bio course during the winter break. Whatever your school offers that will go towards your degree.

I would recommend to take the DAT in August of the start of your junior year (right before fall semester starts, not after). That will allow you to have the whole summer to study. Do not take classes or work that summer.
Then, you'll be applying in June of the following year. Before the start of your senior year.

Crack the DAT and keep boosting your GPA.

Also, start building good relationships with your Professors so you can get awesome LORs.
Get 100 shadowing hours in 5 different offices and as many volunteering hours as possible (300+)

Don't mean to steal the thread, but could you clarify on the volunteer hours?

Did you mean 300+ hours combined (clinical and non clinical), or 300+ hours clinical and 300+ hours non clinical?

Don't mean to steal the thread, but could you clarify on the volunteer hours?

Did you mean 300+ hours combined (clinical and non clinical), or 300+ hours clinical and 300+ hours non clinical?
300+ combined. However, diversity is appreciated. Like, schools like to see that you also volunteered for non-Health-related community stuff

300+ combined. However, diversity is appreciated. Like, schools like to see that you also volunteered for non-Health-related community stuff

Thanks, that's what I assumed you meant but I wanted to double check

Reactions: 1 user