i messed up, what do i do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

noonie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK, so I didn't know i wanted to be a doctor until right before i got my AA. So, i changed my AA to Biological Sciences from Business and got it. I started my first semester at a university and messed up really bad. Three classes... withdrew from anatomy because I was failing, failed Chem1, and then got a C in Calc. It was really messy. So, this semester I took off to do the EMT program at a community college. I am about to be done with (hopefully) an A in the lab and a B in the class. Do I still have a chance of becoming a doctor, more specifically an OB/GYN. The school I would like to go to is Nova Southeastern University in Davie, FL. I was hoping to apply to the DO program. Is there any hope?

Members don't see this ad.

yes, you are young.

make sure the time you are taking off helps you refresh and re-center. for a DO program you can re-take the courses and the new grades will override the former. relax, take it easy, start fresh with your goal in mind. continue to do your clinical activities/things you love. if you ever get a free summer, think ahead for a research opportunity (you probably wont even need it).

main thing is that you are motivated and the grades from now on needs to demonstrate that.

good luck!

and breath *****! lots of life left.

remember that this is something you plan on doing for the rest of your life (40-50 yrs). a semester off won't hinder you from your goals. you seem to be aware that you digressed. figure out how to improve and execute.

we'll be rooting for you

Hi noonie,

One bad semester won't destroy your dreams. Keep your GPA high, from now on. If you need a lighter course load to do well, that's fine. Use your EMT certification to gain clinical experience. If you repeat the classes you did poorly in, you will redeem your drop in GPA when you apply to DO schools. Your chances of becoming an OB/GYN is still very good.