I need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tweety888

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I just took my DAT and I'm very upset with my scores. I took Kaplan and I was scoring very high on the practice tests.
Here are my scores:
Academic Average: 17 :(
PAT: 19
Total Science:19
BIO: 19
GChem: 18
OChem: 19
QS: 14 :(
RC: 16 :(

I dont know what happened at the end, I guess i just panicked. Do you guys think I can get in ANYWHERE with these scores?? My GPA is a 3.6 in science and overall. Any help or suggestions would be great.
Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I would think so, where have you applied? What university did u attend/major?

Tweety888 said:
Hey all,
I just took my DAT and I'm very upset with my scores. I took Kaplan and I was scoring very high on the practice tests.
Here are my scores:
Academic Average: 17 :(
PAT: 19
Total Science:19
BIO: 19
GChem: 18
OChem: 19
QS: 14 :(
RC: 16 :(

I dont know what happened at the end, I guess i just panicked. Do you guys think I can get in ANYWHERE with these scores?? My GPA is a 3.6 in science and overall. Any help or suggestions would be great.
Thanks

Yes, if they ignore your QS of 14. Most schools want a minimum of 15.

I would retake DAT again, give yourself a better shot of choosing a dental school. Absolutely retake the damn DAT, fax your unofficial scores in, don't depend on luck. If you're planning on retaking it, send a letter letting the schools know that you'll retake it. Your GPAs are very good, don't sell yourself short.

i am voting that you should retake the test, it gives you more power to choose and this time you will def do better since you got the stresses of hte first one out of hte way and know how to study for it now..

Members don't see this ad :)
I have similar scores and I got an interview already and about to get another one, so don't lose hope...good luck to all of us. :thumbup:

Hi there Tweety888 - in my opinion your scores are sort of 'on the fence.' They're not stellar, but they're not bad either. I think the thing that is really working against you is the timing of those scores (taking the test now versus back in July/August). The reason why I am mentioning this is because at every interview I have been at so far I have been told that the number of applications that are pouring in this year is insane, the stats are very high on all of them, and how adcoms are having to aggressively wade through them and make decisions on who gets an interview and who doesn't. By all means I would still continue with this cycle, but I would consider retaking the DAT. With that said, if you do get some interviews then you can always cancel your second exam - if not, then you have already covered your bases and will take it again. The DAT is a daunting test and one I don't think any of us would like to repeat, but if I were you I would plan on it just in case. Best of luck! :thumbup: