I need some encouragement!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ManzRDH

Dinene RDH, BA
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am starting to panic!!! I need to take the DAT by the end of May-this is my deadline.

This is my story for those who wish to hear. I took the DAT 2 years ago, I did well AA but my PAT was only a 14 :( :(

Anyway I thought with all my experience being a hygienist since 1989, all my volenteering at the local and state level, speaking at area schools, libararies, and local seniors, in addition I volenteered at the ME office after the WTC attacks, etc that my low PAT score wouldnt be an issue. Well was I wrong. Anyway decided that I will try one more time. I have been auditing GC, Orgo Bio math plus working full time, having a family trying to study plus I put together a free dental exam and sealant program for my area( see my link for my home page for details). In addition I will be lecturing to the DH students at my college on community service projects, membership etc. I just feel like I cant remember anything.

HELP!!! :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

ManzRDH said:
I am starting to panic!!! I need to take the DAT by the end of May-this is my deadline.

This is my story for those who wish to hear. I took the DAT 2 years ago, I did well AA but my PAT was only a 14 :( :(

Anyway I thought with all my experience being a hygienist since 1989, all my volenteering at the local and state level, speaking at area schools, libararies, and local seniors, in addition I volenteered at the ME office after the WTC attacks, etc that my low PAT score wouldnt be an issue. Well was I wrong. Anyway decided that I will try one more time. I have been auditing GC, Orgo Bio math plus working full time, having a family trying to study plus I put together a free dental exam and sealant program for my area( see my link for my home page for details). In addition I will be lecturing to the DH students at my college on community service projects, membership etc. I just feel like I cant remember anything.

I dont think you have a chance personally and instead of doing all that volunteering why dont you just try studying like the rest of us.............

seems crazy to volunteer all those times for nothing....thats not going to get you in a school....

Put your priorities FIRST. Family and dentistry if you really want it. All the other stuff (although great) has to be put to the side while you try and accomplish your goals. You can't do EVERYTHING, so figure out what you really want. That is the best advice i can give you. Good Luck! :luck:

ManzRDH

What you should do is to put your current volunteering aside and start studying for DAT. Make your number one priority and stick with it so you'll be ready to take DAT in May.

Keep in mind, 14 on PAT is not the end of the world. There are schools that accept people with 14 on PAT sections. For example, I know several people that got accepted to NYU having 14 on pat. It all depends on how well you did on AA. On a top of everything else you have an ample of volunteering and being hygienists is always a plus.

Keep in mind, d-schools acceptance is based on a roll-in basis. So the key is to apply early.

Would you mind sharing your stats, schools applied and application submitted date? How about interviews?

Members don't see this ad :)
APPLEBITE said:
I dont think you have a chance personally and instead of doing all that volunteering why dont you just try studying like the rest of us.............

seems crazy to volunteer all those times for nothing....thats not going to get you in a school....

Dear Original Post:

Your extracurricular is absolutely magnificient. However...

I agree with Applebite. "I don't think you have a chance personally." Yes. There are exceptions to people who are aceepted with 14, but that is rare. But seriously, unless you get higher, I wouldn't even bother with the application.

I'm not being negative or discouraging. I just think it is important to have a reality check. Reality can be brutal at times, but really, if you can't improve, then don't bother.

However, the good thing is that your weakness in PAT is probably one of the easiest section to improve on the DAT. You can simply improve on it by practice. The following thread is where I encouraged another SDNer. Please take a look.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=176479

Good luck, and best wishes. I know you can do well.

By the way, you don't have to have taken your DAT before you turn in your AADSAS.

ManzRDH said:

I am in the same boat as you. I graduated from Baylor with a B.S. in dental hygiene and took the DAT made 16 got an interview at my alma mata and was told to retake the DAT, I was placed on the wait list and did not get in.

As others have stated, put the volunteering on the back burner. Prioritize your time. The PAT can be conquered; it just takes practice and plenty of it. If you are worried about receiving another low PAT score do your homework and apply to those programs that seem to be more forgiving when it comes such things. Also, apply early. If I were you I would set a personal deadline of having that application in no later than June 1st. Remember, if you want something hard enough the whole world will conspire to give it to you. You can do it!! :thumbup:

jk5177 said:
Dear Original Post:

Your extracurricular is absolutely magnificient. However...

I agree with Applebite. "I don't think you have a chance personally." Yes. There are exceptions to people who are aceepted with 14, but that is rare. But seriously, unless you get higher, I wouldn't even bother with the application.

I'm not being negative or discouraging. I just think it is important to have a reality check. Reality can be brutal at times, but really, if you can't improve, then don't bother.

However, the good thing is that your weakness in PAT is probably one of the easiest section to improve on the DAT. You can simply improve on it by practice. The following thread is where I encouraged another SDNer. Please take a look.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=176479

Good luck, and best wishes. I know you can do well.

By the way, you don't have to have taken your DAT before you turn in your AADSAS.

JK is my friend !!!

She needs to keep cleaning teeth and let the rest of us that are getting good grades and good DAT scores a spot !!!

APPLEBITE said:
JK is my friend !!!

She needs to keep cleaning teeth and let the rest of us that are getting good grades and good DAT scores a spot !!!

I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I need some honest opinions on my scores so just tell me like it is...i applied for this cycle but i'm starting to lose all hope since i don't even have an interview yet. My scores are AA:18 TS: 18 PAT: 17 (bio:18 gchem:17 ochem:20 rc:16 qr:18) :thumbdown: :thumbdown: . Should i start studying again to retake it for the next cycle?

thanx

DestinyDDS said:
I'm new to this forum and this is my first post. I need some honest opinions on my scores so just tell me like it is...i applied for this cycle but i'm starting to lose all hope since i don't even have an interview yet. My scores are AA:18 TS: 18 PAT: 17 (bio:18 gchem:17 ochem:20 rc:16 qr:18) :thumbdown: :thumbdown: . Should i start studying again to retake it for the next cycle?

thanx

I got in having 18AA, 19TS, and 20PAT. What is your GPA like?
Remember, acceptance = combination of things like GPA, extra activities, LOR's, personal statement and of course the early you apply the more chances you have.

DDS2BE said:
I got in having 18AA, 19TS, and 20PAT. What is your GPA like?
Remember, acceptance = combination of things like GPA, extra activities, LOR's, personal statement and of course the early you apply the more chances you have.

DDS2BE,

thanx for replying so quickly...well, i have lots of EC, relatively good letter of recs...2 from my employers and 3 from sci. professors, and a strong personal statement. My problem might be stemming from my g.p.a... I have a 3.03 cumm, and 2.75 sc. from ucla, but not that that matters much. I also had 2 jobs while in school and come from a disadvantage background but I think the g.p.a overrides any positive potential in my apps. What do you think? Should I be ready to throw in the towel? What should I be doing now? I guess i'm just losing all hope. Sorry for being so depressing.

DestinyDDS said:

thanx

Please donot panic, there are a lot of people in the same boat as you are.

Things you should do.
Call schools and ask them what exactly they want you to do in order to obtain admission for next cycle.

Keep in constant touch with them. Take classes if you have to or take DAT's if you have to. Some people are definitely in better shape than you are but everybody have something unique about their application. So, put a halt to your frustrations and get to work. Fight like a true Sikh Warrior and perform to the best of your ability.

Your DAT scores are not bad at all but it may be that you applied late for this session like many of us.

Buckup------

Each one of us will have a different opinion, and may sway you differently. However, one thing for sure is that persistance will get you into dental school. If dental school is what you want then be patient with yourself; it will eventually work out. You don't seem like a dumb person to me, and that indicates that hard work will pay off. That's the best advice I can give you.

Many people will use applying late as a reason for not getting into dental school this cycle, but I think that is less true. You are not considered late if you apply in september. If you apply in November, well, the odds are in favor of the other applicants.

In terms of your DAT, well the higher the better. My advisor told me that I need to have at least a 19 on all sections to get in anywhere, and that was what I did. Scored above 19s on all my sections. Yes, there are people who got in with 18s or 17s or 16s, but that is not the norm. Are you willing to study again? Are there something else you rather be doing? Is dental school a mean to an end or an end in itself? If you are not sure about your love for dentistry, then I suggest to mind as well commit more time to studying DAT. Why not? What else would you be doing if your not studying? Starting a family? Dating? Watching T.V? Mind as well study some more.

Good luck. I know what it feels like. It is a very despondent feeling. It sucks to check the mail. It sucks to think about. It makes you wonder what it is you want to do.

I think it took a lot of courage to even post on this forum, so I highly commend you for even browsing through this site and post. Give yourself some credit for sharing your story.

DestinyDDS said:
DDS2BE,

thanx for replying so quickly...well, i have lots of EC, relatively good letter of recs...2 from my employers and 3 from sci. professors, and a strong personal statement. My problem might be stemming from my g.p.a... I have a 3.03 cumm, and 2.75 sc. from ucla, but not that that matters much. I also had 2 jobs while in school and come from a disadvantage background but I think the g.p.a overrides any positive potential in my apps. What do you think? Should I be ready to throw in the towel? What should I be doing now? I guess i'm just losing all hope. Sorry for being so depressing.

Please... don't panic! Honestly, your sci gpa is bellow the average, BUT wait when this cycle is over. BU and NYU would be your best bet. Also, you should start looking into masters programs to raise you GPA and then re-apply.

There is a thread called "under 3.0 club" you might wanna check out.

APPLEBITE said:
JK is my friend !!!

With the remarks you keep making APPLEBITE I hope YOU don't get in. Didn't anyone tell you that you need people skills to be a dentist? Personally I don't think being an a$$ is going to get you very far.

I understand your discouragment, however you have to realize that most school have a pre screening process which only concerns w/ numbers. Which means your DAT and Grades. When I was applying Tufts used a computer program that weeds out any applications w/ any DAT portion less then 15. So that means if you have a 4.0 and a 25/14 DAT it would weed you out. Is that unfair...yeah, I think so. But w/ the applicant pool getting larger and larger schools have to have a system, they can't look at all applications thoroughly. I think you have great extracurriculars, but I think you should focus on getting a high score on the DAT right now.

Hope this helps,

DD

Thank you for all the advice . I truly appreciate it. I am definitely going to apply again in may if i don't hear from any schools by then. I'm trying really hard not to mope around the house but it's difficult not to think about getting rejected/accepted at least 5 times a day. I applied for 4 post-bac. programs in california so hopefully i hear from them by april. I'm gonna keep applying until I get in. Thanks for all the insights, I am definitely going to retake my DATs. Also, my topscore cd expired. I heard that you can still use it if you uninstall it or something? Is this true?

Well, wish me luck :luck: . Thanks again.

Did you apply to SJSU post bac program? If you applied, then you will get in because it is not a competitive program. You would basically matriculate as a second baccaulaureate, then you can pick and choose whatever class you want to take to help you apply for dental school. There are not DAT preparation or any that specifically gear for dental school, so you would have to plan all that out by yourself. But tuition is reasonable, 1800 per semester for all the classes you can take. The courseload is quite diverse. There are anatomy, physiology, cell biology, biochemistry, histology, microbio, path micro, and many others. Check out the website at www.sjsu.edu. If you have questions, post them here, and I will reply. Don't PM, because no one else will hear about it except for you and me.

jk5177,

I actually didn't apply there, but it sounds like a good option. How long does the program take? Also, does it mean you will get a second b.s. degree in bio? I'm from socal, but i wouldn't mind relocating. My cousin actually lives in san jose. Do you know anyone who did a post-bacc there? Well, let's say i get in for fall 2005, but since it's a semester system, my grades won't be out till Dec/Jan so how will that change my g.p.a or do I have to wait till i finish the program to reapply again?

I'm currently a student there, so I can answer all the questions you want to know.
The program takes as long or as short as you wish. You can go there as open university status, so basically you can start in fall even if you missed the deadline, however you get the last priority in adding classes, so that may put the person in disadvantage.
Yes, usually people can a second b.s. degree, but for me I opted out of the degree and basically picked classes specifically to aid for dental school.
True, dental schools will not see your grades till dec/jan, so it won't change your gpa very much.
I love the program here. It's not really a program, you just have to pick and choose the classes on your own. Quite autonomous. It's an opportunity to take classes.

RDH said:
I am in the same boat as you. I graduated from Baylor with a B.S. in dental hygiene and took the DAT made 16 got an interview at my alma mata and was told to retake the DAT, I was placed on the wait list and did not get in.

you got a 16 on the PAT and you were told to retake it?