I passed the EPPP... now what?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Groupie123

Reaction score
(Before you keep reading, this pertains only to getting licensed in California.)

Hi everyone, so I think we can all agree that the licensure process is incredibly confusing and the CA Board of Psychology sucks at communication. I recently passed the EPPP (woo!) and have no clue whether I can register for the CPLEE (the CA Law and Ethics Exam) already, or if I should wait until I get official notice from the Board that they've received my EPPP score and to "go ahead" and register for the CPLEE. I saw something online about a CPLEE initial request form that is "required" before I can register for the exam but I was told by other folks that I will get a letter from the Board letting me know they've received my EPPP score and to go ahead and register for the CPLEE. I don't know if I should wait for that letter or just send in the initial request form now. I certainly don't want to delay the process anymore than I need to. I have called the Board several times to clarify and always get voicemail / can never seem to get an actual person on the line.

Long story short- what the heck goes on after you pass the EPPP? How do I move forward with the rest of the process in the quickest way possible?

Thanks for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I also remember hiccups at this stage in the licensure process. You do need to fill out and mail in (along with a check) the CPLEE request form, available here: https://www.psychology.ca.gov/forms_pubs/exam_request.pdf

and then you wait some more...you should have an assigned "licensing agent" with whom you've already been corresponding. I had to email and call that person several times, for weeks after my check was cashed, to get official approval to schedule the CPLEE. Eventually, my person went on leave and I had to call the main number. I remember leaving messages and calling first thing in the morning. After several tries, when I finally did speak to a real person, they were very helpful. They pulled my file and were able to tell me everything was in order and I received the email confirmation the next day, allowing me to register for the CPLEE.

If you haven't yet completed the extra coursework, now is a good time. There will be another waiting period after you pass the CPLEE and submit fingerprints/extra coursework and wait for background check. For me that last waiting period took about a month.

Reactions: 1 users
I also remember hiccups at this stage in the licensure process. You do need to fill out and mail in (along with a check) the CPLEE request form, available here:

and then you wait some more...you should have an assigned "licensing agent" with whom you've already been corresponding. I had to email and call that person several times, for weeks after my check was cashed, to get official approval to schedule the CPLEE. Eventually, my person went on leave and I had to call the main number. I remember leaving messages and calling first thing in the morning. After several tries, when I finally did speak to a real person, they were very helpful. They pulled my file and were able to tell me everything was in order and I received the email confirmation the next day, allowing me to register for the CPLEE.

If you haven't yet completed the extra coursework, now is a good time. There will be another waiting period after you pass the CPLEE and submit fingerprints/extra coursework and wait for background check. For me that last waiting period took about a month.

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Just to piggyback off your question, it was my understanding that after passing the EPPP, in order to sit for the CPLEE you must have completed at least 1500 postdoctoral hours (which I have been told is typically 75% into most APPIC post-docs in CA). Is this true, or have any people here taken or been permitted to sit for the CPLEE at the beginning of the post-doc (or during internship) after passing the EPPP?

Just to piggyback off your question, it was my understanding that after passing the EPPP, in order to sit for the CPLEE you must have completed at least 1500 postdoctoral hours (which I have been told is typically 75% into most APPIC post-docs in CA). Is this true, or have any people here taken or been permitted to sit for the CPLEE at the beginning of the post-doc (or during internship) after passing the EPPP?

Taken directly from the CA board of psychology's website: "Applicants can take the CPLEE once they have completed a qualifying doctorate degree, completed all 3,000 hours of qualifying supervised professional experience and have passed the EPPP. Those applicants that meet one of the requirements listed in Section 1388.6 of the CCR will qualify to take the CPLEE." Not sure what Section 1388.6 says exactly but these are the general requirements.

Thanks for posting. Question though, does that have to be at least 1500 from internship AND post-doc? For example, if internship was 2000 hours, would only 1000 more need to be done through post-doc? Are there any workarounds to take the CPLEE earlier?

Thanks for posting. Question though, does that have to be at least 1500 from internship AND post-doc? For example, if internship was 2000 hours, would only 1000 more need to be done through post-doc? Are there any workarounds to take the CPLEE earlier?

Yes, unfortunately it does have to be 1500 predoctoral (internship) hours and 1500 postdoctoral hours. No workaround.