I am sorry, have you not been posting on here that you don’t believe any research exists where restrictions on gun ownership do anything for all these needless murders? Therefore you think restrictions are unwarranted? And responsible gun ownership is a necessity. And people should own high capacity rifles?
Am I mistaking you for someone else? If so, then my apologies.
And I am speaking the obese ones who get so big that they end up with all kinds of ailments they want a pill for, many who end up having difficult moving and taking care of themselves etc. BMI greater than 35 people. Yeah, they absolutely gross me out and we all know why a vast majority are that way. If you are not one then that’s great for you. Yeah, that part was just frustration directed at you because you seemed to be making excuses for people and blaming genes and parents and not acknowledging the fact that obesity leads to bad OA requiring way more TKRs than there would be necessary, period. When as physicians we know the facts and know that a smaller frame is going to diminish that likelihood. And that also waiting on a TKR for a few months to a year isn’t gonna kill you.
I don't recall posting any items on gun research, but my memory may be slipping. I have always stated that I am in the middle ground on gun restrictions because I think it is a very slippery slope and giving government complete control to disarm the public seems like a terrible idea in the long term with lots of unintended consequences. I, however, am okay with instituting some reasonable safeguards and restrictions. I think the red flag laws proposed are destined to be problematic because I have a general distrust of the government to enact those in a fair and just way, depending on which party has the upper hand at any given point in time.
If I had a trust that the safeguards would be enacted in a fair and just way and not used as a political tool to suppress the politician's political enemies, I would be all for lots of safeguards. I think the best description I would give for myself is that I am a
skeptic. I am skeptical of how they would be enforced; I am skeptical that they would be effective in achieving the intended goal (criminals will still get the guns and won't follow the rules enacted); and I am skeptical of the political goals of those who wish to enact these rules. I have defended pgg's position because he presents many of the same concerns that I have, despite me being a non gun owner. I just feel like it will be as effective as the prohibition of alcohol was. I am not pro gun, but I just don't see the proposed actions achieving what some think that they will. I don't have the answer, but I do see significant problems in the proposed solutions of some of our political leaders (especially when they have limited knowledge of some of the basics of guns-similar to myself).
With regards to obesity, they are not my favorites either. So many issues that have to be dealt with. As you said, it is mostly self-inflicted. I don't generally get angry with them though. I look at them with pity and wonder how it got as bad as it did. There are so many influences in life that lead to that situation including early and late childhood influences that are hard to break and lots of psych issues. So, my approach is more of a, there but for the grace of God, go I. Had I been born into a family that struggled with these issues, it could have been me. In my opinion, it cannot be denied that the obesity issue spans generations. Breaking that cycle as a young adult must be sooo difficult and we see that many simply choose not to. Those are the feelings that I have towards them and why I choose empathy. It is not that I endorse it, but, in my brief encounter, if I can offer some empathy and kindness, it is very easy for me to muster that up, because I really do feel sorry for those in that situation. Probably more than you wanted to hear, but that is my approach. I feel that I am able to be happier that way anyway. No sense, in my mind, in having anger at someone when I cannot change their situation. Now, if I was their primary care physician and had a chance to truly impact change over the long term, I would sure do that. In the periop time period of my influence, I feel that kindness is what they need the most at that point in time.
Cheers!