I so regret....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SCDP

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
... not going for some of those 6 years undergrad/dds programs out of high school. You could be a practicing dentist at 24!

I guess I can't really say regret because I didn't know about them back in high school but you are guaranteed admission with just a 3.25 cumulative over your first 2 years and minimum of 18 on each DAT section...

now the struggle of keeping GPA high, worrying about just getting interviews, doing super well on the DAT, having to go through 2 extra years of undergrad...

Members don't see this ad.

Hi my friend, I'd like to weigh in and say that I think taking your time to stroll through life is much better than rushing to your destination. You'll have more stories to share as an old man/woman and grow into a more well rounded person as well. So no regrets!

Reactions: 10 users
I hear you, but think of it like this:

1) you now know how much you love this profession and that it is the right one for you. Many people in this world don't know what profession is their best fit. If you had to pay 2 extra years to find a profession that gives a lifetime of satisfaction, isn't it worth it?

2) What if you were in one of those programs and had decided you hate dentistry because of the highly condensed nature of the combined program. You might have lost the profession you loved!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I hear you, but think of it like this:

1) you now know how much you love this profession and that it is the right one for you. Many people in this world don't know what profession is their best fit. If you had to pay 2 extra years to find a profession that gives a lifetime of satisfaction, isn't it worth it?

2) What if you were in one of those programs and had decided you hate dentistry because of the highly condensed nature of the combined program. You might have lost the profession you loved!
I don't know man, I'm starting to hate the process of becoming a dentist because of the 2.5 more years of undergrad I have to do, which I have no interest in at all. I could be starting dental school in like 7-8 months instead... that's a HUGE difference concerning time and effort because getting a 3.25 GPA is easy and you save 2 years of busting your a**

Reactions: 1 users
I don't know man, I'm starting to hate the process of becoming a dentist because of the 2.5 more years of undergrad I have to do, which I have no interest in at all. I could be starting dental school in like 7-8 months instead... that's a HUGE difference concerning time and effort because getting a 3.25 GPA is easy and you save 2 years of busting your a**

what program allows you to have a 3.25 gpa for a 7 year dds program? Nyu and buffalo needed a bit higher than that i believe.

Anyway, who knows how you would have been on that road. You could have been even more stressed. This is the road you're on now, enjoy it. I felt bad about taking a gap year but now I'm just cruising around enjoying life.

what program allows you to have a 3.25 gpa for a 7 year dds program? Nyu and buffalo needed a bit higher than that i believe.

Anyway, who knows how you would have been on that road. You could have been even more stressed. This is the road you're on now, enjoy it. I felt bad about taking a gap year but now I'm just cruising around enjoying life.
Case Western does in their 6 year program and UoP does in both of their accelerated programs(5 and 6 year)... ha wouldn't that be awesome doing the 5 year program, dentist at age 23... WOW

And I get what you are saying about this being the road I'm on now, but to be honest, I'm really not enjoying it too much when all my goal is, is to become a dentist and I have 2.5 years to go learning nonsense

I thought college was like the best time of my life, savor it!

What program is 6 years, 3.25 GPA and 18 in each section?? That seems incredibly low. In my program i need a 3.6 and a 20 in each section just to stay in. Not to mention that mine is 7 years not 6.

I dont necessarily think being a dentist at 23 is good.

Sometimes, you think are all mature and all, but 23 is still a very young age and probably have a lot to learn in life still.

Just my 2cents

Reactions: 2 users
I dont necessarily think being a dentist at 23 is good.

Sometimes, you think are all mature and all, but 23 is still a very young age and probably have a lot to learn in life still.

Just my 2cents
Financially it would be great though. Imagine someone not having any debt either. Associate, start up, work part time and enjoy life, whatever. By the time you are 30 you could have your own thriving practice, with over 1 million saved up....

...I can dream right.

why be in such a rush to grow up? There will be plenty of time in life to make money!! Everyone is practically on the same footing in their 50s and 60s anyways. Youre not gonna notice much of a difference when youre 56 or 58 haha. But those extra 2 years i got to spend in undergrad is time i wouldn't trade for anything.

Financially it would be great though. Imagine someone not having any debt either. Associate, start up, work part time and enjoy life, whatever. By the time you are 30 you could have your own thriving practice, with over 1 million saved up....

...I can dream right.

You wouldn't have a mil saved up by that time anyways. This is another reason why you need those 2.5 years of undergrad to gain some experience on how the world actually works.

Dental Early Acceptance Program (DEAP) at UTHSCSA has a 3.4 GPA and 19 on Academic Average. It used to have 18 AA requirement, however I have never heard of 3.25 GPA requirement.

Members don't see this ad :)
The grand prize to the youngest matriculat goes to a 16 year old at some school which I forget the name of. (Found this out on one of doc toothache's spreadsheets.) So I guess he could be practicing as early as 20. Or potentially 19 if he got into UoP...

I would never trust my teeth to some 24 year old kid, rightly or wrongly.

Believe it or not, in many countries, people become dentists at the age of 22. They incorporate basic sciences and our "undergraduate" education is given to them in dental school. IMO, if dental therapists are going to be able to practice with just two years of training after high school, then this shortened path to dentistry sounds good.

Believe it or not, in many countries, people become dentists at the age of 22. They incorporate basic sciences and our "undergraduate" education is given to them in dental school. IMO, if dental therapists are going to be able to practice with just two years of training after high school, then this shortened path to dentistry sounds good.
I don't trust anyone without a fully developed prefrontal cortex to be performing surgical extractions. Yeah, other countries do things differently, but in America the idea is just weird. I'm sure they're fine dentists, but damn... When I was that age- let's just say I wouldn't want 22 year old me taking care of current me, regardless of his qualifications.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't trust anyone without a fully developed prefrontal cortex to be performing surgical extractions.

This sentence cracked me up- you're funny!

Last edited:
You wouldn't have a mil saved up by that time anyways. This is another reason why you need those 2.5 years of undergrad to gain some experience on how the world actually works.
I'll disagree with that. If one had no debt, it can definitely be done. Move to the right location/find the right practice and I bet one could average 250k/yr over 7 year period and with that if you save an average of 10k/month along with like a 4-5% return, 1 mil by 30 is definitely possible.

And don't reply with you are crazy thinking you will average 250k blah blah blah... it's most definitely possible if you are proactive and know what you are doing.

Not to mention having a spouse who earns too.

I'll disagree with that. If one had no debt, it can definitely be done. Move to the right location/find the right practice and I bet one could average 250k/yr over 7 year period and with that if you save an average of 10k/month along with like a 4-5% return, 1 mil by 30 is definitely possible.

And don't reply with you are crazy thinking you will average 250k blah blah blah... it's most definitely possible if you are proactive and know what you are doing.

Not to mention having a spouse who earns too.

$10k a month? Let's just say you make $250k a year and you are married. That will net about $13600/month. Subtract your $10k leaves you with $3600 a month to live on.

Now let's add on a mortgage, car payment, insurance, medical insurance, children. Do you see the reality yet?

$10k a month? Let's just say you make $250k a year and you are married. That will net about $13600/month. Subtract your $10k leaves you with $3600 a month to live on.

Now let's add on a mortgage, car payment, insurance, medical insurance, children. Do you see the reality yet?

Yep

Last edited:
Your behavior is exactly why you're not in that program.

Living is more important than having a mil when you're 30.

And I can't really tell if we're being trolled or not. Am I losing it?

File jointly, live in a no income tax state and you should have about $14,400/month net. Have no kids for a while and your expenses shouldn't be too bad. You are telling me one can't live off of 4,400/ month..... lol. Many 2-3 children families take in that much a month, and while not thriving, they are living just fine.

Your behavior is exactly why you're not in that program.

Living is more important than having a mil when you're 30.

And I can't really tell if we're being trolled or not. Am I losing it?
It's not about having a mil or 2 mil, I don't give a crap about the money, but rather what I can do with it.

Being financially independent is important and that's when you can really start living. Having 1 mil at age 30 is a HUUUUGE step towards that.

Being able to work whenever I want, take a day off here and there because I DON'T HAVE TO PAY SOME DAMN BILL.... is important.

And my behavior is not the reason I am not in those programs, I had no clue about them.

I like dentistry, I like the freedom money gives me more... absolutely nothing wrong with that. Especially if I can perform better dentistry than the person with a 2.8 who would give up everything to be a dentist.... HARSH BUT TRUE.

It's not about having a mil or 2 mil, I don't give a crap about the money, but rather what I can do with it.

Being financially independent is important and that's when you can really start living. Having 1 mil at age 30 is a HUUUUGE step towards that.

Being able to work whenever I want, take a day off here and there because I DON'T HAVE TO PAY SOME DAMN BILL.... is important.

And my behavior is not the reason I am not in those programs, I had no clue about them.

I like dentistry, I like the freedom money gives me more... absolutely nothing wrong with that. Especially if I can perform better dentistry than the person with a 2.8 who would give up everything to be a dentist.... HARSH BUT TRUE.
just make sure you tell the schools this during your interview and you're a shoe in!

How does a 2.8 and willing to give up everything correlate to a lesser quality of dentistry? You could have a 4.0 but if your hand skills suck then you're not going to be performing better dentistry than anybody.

How does a 2.8 and willing to give up everything correlate to a lesser quality of dentistry? You could have a 4.0 but if your hand skills suck then you're not going to be performing better dentistry than anybody.
sure but that's not what I was getting at. I was just saying there may be people out there who want to be dentists more than many people who are accepted, but that doesn't change the fact that the people who got in deserved it and are well qualified to be dentists despite not having as much passion towards the profession.

^not entirely fair, he is right to some extent. Every year thousands of kids don't get into Dschool who probably have a lot more passion and hand skills than those who were accepted. Im not sure what that has to do with money or having a mil by 30 though. Also not sure why we arbitrarily decided on 30 being the cutoff. Why not 29 or 31/32? If i have a mil in the bank by 32, i think i did just fine.

Idk why someone is set on 1 mil. Think about it, if you can make about $1000 a day after taxes for 1000 days you get 1 mil. 1000 days is about 2.7 years. So if you can earn $500/day after taxes (that's what my friend who is a new grad dentist makes at a dental chain), it takes about 5.4 years. It doesn't take that long to make it, but also know that it takes about just as fast to spend it (on loans, on expenses, etc.). The important thing to take away is that mind your own beeswax and you will achieve your goals faster than when regretting and complaining to others....

Idk why someone is set on 1 mil. Think about it, if you can make about $1000 a day after taxes for 1000 days you get 1 mil. 1000 days is about 2.7 years. So if you can earn $500/day after taxes (that's what my friend who is a new grad dentist makes at a dental chain), it takes about 5.4 years. It doesn't take that long to make it, but also know that it takes about just as fast to spend it (on loans, on expenses, etc.). The important thing to take away is that mind your own beeswax and you will achieve your goals faster than when regretting and complaining to others....

Making a certain amount is vastly different than saving that said amount.

Reactions: 4 users
It is easy if you are capable of investing wisely and saving a large percentage of your income. A lot of people worry about the debt of professional school, but it's really not that bad if you live cheap and pay down your loans fast. Once that's done, you can have a million in no time.

But...but it says "Messages: 201" hahahaha

You know what your problem is? You think numbers are important...as if in the future 1mm will be some sort of important measurement. Pfft.

You know what your problem is? You think numbers are important...as if in the future 1mm will be some sort of important measurement. Pfft.
Delete what you just wrote before the OP sees it! Graduating one year early is not gonna be that significant... just 1 mil less in life.

Nice counter :)

... not going for some of those 6 years undergrad/dds programs out of high school. You could be a practicing dentist at 24!

I guess I can't really say regret because I didn't know about them back in high school but you are guaranteed admission with just a 3.25 cumulative over your first 2 years and minimum of 18 on each DAT section...

now the struggle of keeping GPA high, worrying about just getting interviews, doing super well on the DAT, having to go through 2 extra years of undergrad...
Had no idea those existed, I only knew of it for pharmacy. But even if I did m GPA at the end of my 1st 2 yrs in undegrad was below 2.9 so Id be kicked out anyway :/

Hi my friend, I'd like to weigh in and say that I think taking your time to stroll through life is much better than rushing to your destination. You'll have more stories to share as an old man/woman and grow into a more well rounded person as well. So no regrets!
I respectfully disagree. Youre right in that one shouldnt rush through life, but while in undergrad one should definitely get it over with in as few years as possible. Undergrad adds no value to your life, it is a waste of time and youth. It's just something you must succeed in to enter D school. If youre aiming for "A"s, and you should be, then you wont have much time to make good memories anyways. You can make more and better memories when finished with school at an earlier age and no longer a poor college student fully dependent on parents and under their restrictions.

""“When you're young you have time and energy but no money. When you get older you have money and energy but no time. And later when you finally have time and money, you no longer have energy.”""

Finish younger and youll have time (you dont have to work longhrs as a dentist), energy and money on your side.

Last edited:
Lol at this thread. I'll be turning 30 a few months into my D1 year, am not worth a mil, and it doesn't bother me at all. Since undergrad I've learned so much about business/managing people/etc. that isn't taught in school but is applicable to running a dental office. I didn't know what I didn't know at 22...