I think I might have overshot my schools...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jilonius

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Can you afford to apply to Penn State and/or Geisinger?

Reactions: 2 users
You have a few that don’t take a lot of OOS. Otherwise you are good.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't get in, what will be the cost to reapply vs. the cost to travel to a few more interviews? How about Seton Hall, Vermont, Einstein, GW, GT, NY many of these schools are in driving range.

If you don't get in, what will be the cost to reapply vs. the cost to travel to a few more interviews? How about Seton Hall, Vermont, Einstein, GW, GT, NY many of these schools are in driving range.
A reapply would be better because I would have time to put away more $$$. I literally spent every cent I had on this and struggled to pay my rent lmao

You have a few that don’t take a lot of OOS. Otherwise you are good.

Yes, like the NJ schools and Colorado. Brown is relatively low yield too if you didnt attend their undergrad.

OP, if you can, add Geisinger and PSU. There are other options but those two probably the best for you.

Reactions: 1 users
It IS super expensive. Good luck! I hope you get a lot of interviews :)

Also, Pitt isn't a suuuuper high reach for you. A 513 is in between 10 and 25th percentile for accepted students, it's dead on 25th percentile for matriculated. You might still see some love from them!

Hey all! To be completely honest, I don't know if I should even be posting this because it'll probably just drive me crazy. But oh well, we're gonna jump down this rabbit hole and fly headfirst into the existential crisis that may follow. I'm concerned that I overshot on my schools list. My main criteria is that I wanted to be in a city, and incidentally city schools tend to be tougher to get into. I live in Philadelphia and have always been a PA resident which is why there are so many Philly schools. My options are also limited because I can't afford to travel more than once for interviews.

Degree: Biology and Secondary Education (B.S.)

Stats:
GPA: 4.0
MCAT: 513

Activities:
Paid non-medical positions - thousands of hours at a law office, retirement home, and as a biomechanics curriculum developer
Clinical exposure abroad - 500-ish hours (I was only able to do this because of funding provided by my school and was aware of avoiding voluntourism, and one was a trip I applied to and was able to tag along with Temple's medical students, the others were a 2 month shadowing trip in India and a month shadowing in Nepal)
Shadowing - roughly 130 hours (ENT - 7, Neuro ICU - 10, Radiation Oncology - I'm not actually sure but I've been shadowing weekly for about 4 months with a bunch of different doctors)
Non-Clinical Volunteering - about 400 hours in an animal shelter and as a tutor for formerly homeless individuals
Guest Relations Hospital Volunteering - about 200 hours
Research - about 650 hours in an x-ray crystallography lab

Awards/Recognitions:
Presidential scholarship for my school
Otto Kurschner Memorial Award (graduation award)
was offered position with U.S. Peace Corps as a science teacher in Ghana, was unable to accept position but spent six months in the process

First generation college student, marked underserved/SES disadvantaged by AMCAS if that matters. Submitted Committee Letter plus 6 additional LORs: Health Sociology prof, biochemistry prof, physics II prof, hospital guest relations supervisor, science education prof, biostatistics prof.

I'm not gonna complain about my application, I honestly think its fine and would get me in SOMEWHERE. My main concern is that I may have applied way too top heavy which could result in me not ending up anywhere lol

Schools list:

Hofstra
Drexel (on hold)
Sinai
Temple (holding out hope, I've worked pretty extensively in this health system and was a Temple undergrad)
Ohio State
Penn
Rutgers NJ
Rutgers RWJ
Jefferson
Brown
Tulane
U. Colorado
U Maryland
Pitt

I know a few of these (like Penn and Pitt) are waaaay above my stats range but sometimes you gotta shoot your shot lol. It's a small school list but I couldn't afford anything more. All were complete by first few days of August. Haven't heard back from anyone except the Drexel hold.

Realistically if I don't get in this year it'll be a bummer but not the end of the world. Decided if I fail I'm gonna quit my job and hike the PCT so at least I have something to look forward to!
Of your school list, you are competitive for:
Hofstra
Drexel
Temple
Rutgers NJ
Rutgers RWJ
Jefferson
Tulane
Pitt

"sometimes you gotta shoot your shot". That's a new one.
My response is that this is not like buying a Lotto ticket or shooting hoops. It's an Olympic event and you need a strategic list, based upon realistic appraisal of your stats

I'm assuming that you're from NJ? If so, your chances are best with them. If not from NJ, those were donations.

Of your school list, you are competitive for:
Hofstra
Drexel
Temple
Rutgers NJ
Rutgers RWJ
Jefferson
Tulane
Pitt

"sometimes you gotta shoot your shot". That's a new one.
My response is that this is not like buying a Lotto ticket or shooting hoops. It's an Olympic event and you need a strategic list, based upon realistic appraisal of your stats

I'm assuming that you're from NJ? If so, your chances are best with them. If not from NJ, those were donations.

OP is from PA

Also, Pitt isn't a suuuuper high reach for you. A 513 is in between 10 and 25th percentile for accepted students, it's dead on 25th percentile for matriculated. You might still see some love from them!
As I understand it, Pitt does not favor PA residents, takes many from OOS.

^^ PITT has a super wide-range, especially for instate applicants

Hey all! To be completely honest, I don't know if I should even be posting this because it'll probably just drive me crazy. But oh well, we're gonna jump down this rabbit hole and fly headfirst into the existential crisis that may follow. I'm concerned that I overshot on my schools list. My main criteria is that I wanted to be in a city, and incidentally city schools tend to be tougher to get into. I live in Philadelphia and have always been a PA resident which is why there are so many Philly schools. My options are also limited because I can't afford to travel more than once for interviews.

Degree: Biology and Secondary Education (B.S.)

Stats:
GPA: 4.0
MCAT: 513

Activities:
Paid non-medical positions - thousands of hours at a law office, retirement home, and as a biomechanics curriculum developer
Clinical exposure abroad - 500-ish hours (I was only able to do this because of funding provided by my school and was aware of avoiding voluntourism, and one was a trip I applied to and was able to tag along with Temple's medical students, the others were a 2 month shadowing trip in India and a month shadowing in Nepal)
Shadowing - roughly 130 hours (ENT - 7, Neuro ICU - 10, Radiation Oncology - I'm not actually sure but I've been shadowing weekly for about 4 months with a bunch of different doctors)
Non-Clinical Volunteering - about 400 hours in an animal shelter and as a tutor for formerly homeless individuals
Guest Relations Hospital Volunteering - about 200 hours
Research - about 650 hours in an x-ray crystallography lab

Awards/Recognitions:
Presidential scholarship for my school
Otto Kurschner Memorial Award (graduation award)
was offered position with U.S. Peace Corps as a science teacher in Ghana, was unable to accept position but spent six months in the process

First generation college student, marked underserved/SES disadvantaged by AMCAS if that matters. Submitted Committee Letter plus 6 additional LORs: Health Sociology prof, biochemistry prof, physics II prof, hospital guest relations supervisor, science education prof, biostatistics prof.

I'm not gonna complain about my application, I honestly think its fine and would get me in SOMEWHERE. My main concern is that I may have applied way too top heavy which could result in me not ending up anywhere lol

Schools list:

Hofstra
Drexel (on hold)
Sinai
Temple (holding out hope, I've worked pretty extensively in this health system and was a Temple undergrad)
Ohio State
Penn
Rutgers NJ
Rutgers RWJ
Jefferson
Brown
Tulane
U. Colorado
U Maryland
Pitt

I know a few of these (like Penn and Pitt) are waaaay above my stats range but sometimes you gotta shoot your shot lol. It's a small school list but I couldn't afford anything more. All were complete by first few days of August. Haven't heard back from anyone except the Drexel hold.

Realistically if I don't get in this year it'll be a bummer but not the end of the world. Decided if I fail I'm gonna quit my job and hike the PCT so at least I have something to look forward to!
Based on your experiences and story, I would add Dartmouth, Perelman, UCSF, UCSD, UCLA, Yale, Stanford, Harvard, Case Western, Duke, Mayo, Emory

• Wow