I want to go to dental school but...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sassmaster123

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
As a child, I ate lots of sugar and neglected my teeth. I didn't take care of them to the bet of my ability, but now that I'm older I learned the importance of it and really changed my bad habits. I'm paying the price for not taking care of my teeth when I was younger now because I've had multiple fillings and "weak" teeth generally run in my family. I feel discouraged and self conscious about going into the dental field, but not having the most perfect teeth as do most dentist. My teeth are straight as I have had braces and while they are not blinding white, they're still a nice white color and My gums are healthier than they used to be, since they were a bit inflamed a few years ago. Would you trust a dentist that has had procedures done? I know In dental school, students work on each other as well. I feel as if I'll be so judged from it or I could be a learning experience. I can either be rejected by people because of my lack of oral hygiene as a child or be a learning experience and have that experience of knowing what patients are going through in a sense. Should I pursue dentistry? I'm very intrigued by it and I know it sounds dumb to let go of something I'm interested in because of my insecurities, but it's the biggest thing holding me back. Thank you for taking your time to read this and responding!! I take really good care of my teeth now. I'm currently a nursing major thinking of switching to Bio leading to dental school. I know for sure the medical field is what I want to stick with. I know if I switch, and I set this as my goal, I will be able to accomplish the academic part of this. I don't feel the same drive and curiosity for nursing as I do for Dentistry. I enjoy watching procedures being done and do research on dentistry all the time and I'm going to start shadowing soon.

Members don't see this ad.

Shadow first and see if you enjoy it. If you are interested in medicine as a whole, you can always pursue being a PA or NP. Take into account the COA for dental schools and compare it with your other alternatives before you fully commit.

As for your first question, no they patients aren't going to be looking into your mouth. Its the other way around.

Reactions: 2 users
Shadow first and see if you enjoy it. If you are interested in medicine as a whole, you can always pursue being a PA or NP. Take into account the COA for dental schools and compare it with your other alternatives before you fully commit.

As for your first question, no they patients aren't going to be looking into your mouth. Its the other way around.
Plus half the time you have a mask over your face/mouth ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I think your situation would actually STRENGTHEN your candidacy for dentistry. Just spin your story the right way to adcoms.

Reactions: 3 users
You're not the only one! I have had a loooot of procedures done. So many. And I did talk about it as a motivation to pursue dentistry in my PS and interviews. It worked for me, but I have also wondered if I will be judged when I actually get to school.

Reactions: 1 user
I think your situation would actually STRENGTHEN your candidacy for dentistry. Just spin your story the right way to adcoms.
Second this. I think it actually plays in your favor

Totally agree with this. I'm in a similar boat to OP and I think this along with my DAT is what landed me my interview/acceptance. Because I know my grades did not...

Don't worry about it; I just had an appointment at my dental school (since anything that requires no lab work/isn't for aesthetics is free for DDS students). Apparently, I will make several D4s very, very happy. And you know what? I just had a Double Gulp Coke from 7 11. #sorrynotsorry

Reactions: 1 users
Don't worry about it; I just had an appointment at my dental school (since anything that requires no lab work/isn't for aesthetics is free for DDS students). Apparently, I will make several D4s very, very happy. And you know what? I just had a Double Gulp Coke from 7 11. #sorrynotsorry
Lol I just got my first prophy in 5 years in our clinic.

Reactions: 1 users