I want to keep trying...but I need some input, PLEASE.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SlionDoc

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone! I have been relying on the information on this site for a long time but I haven't found a question close to mine. I am open to hearing advice, warning, alternative plans etc. I need different points of views since mine are now stagnant. So here is the deal:

* first generation African from Liberia (Ebola Outbreak)
*did great in high school, and got accepted to good public U
*Never good at math or chem, great in bio in HSchool but never failed anything
*Sticker shock, family pressure and personal expectations cause me to crash

1 term= 0.8GPA, 5 Classes= C- in Writing, F in AFRO (didn't know it was grad level), F in pre-cal, F in Somali Lang, Pass in Frosh seminar

2 term= 2.9GPA, 7 classes= A in AFRO, B+ in Phil, C in Frosh bio seminar, C in Community health, Pass in Frosh seminar, Fail in Intro Chem, W in College Algebra

3 term=3.3GPA , 6 classes= A in Afro, A in Study Skills, A in Health Adviser, A in Somali Lang (retake), D+ in pre-cal, W in Intro to Chem

4 term= 3.2GPA, A in Health Adviser, B+ in AFRO, B+ in Phil, B+ in Somali Lang 2, C+ in Environment
Cum GPA= 2.908

Obviously my strengths are history, writing, non science but I want to be a physician not just because of my immigrant family. I'm studying the history behind poor health in Africa hence AFRO course. I want to be a physician and then policy maker and hopefully government health minister. That way I will know every level of health care and can stop corruption!

I'm in Junior year now and panicking. 5th term, classes started yesterday and I am signed up for only 2 classes! (AP credit= 1 semester so a junior credit wise).
My Major is Bio and Society so basically pre-med requirements and humanity combined. But I keep failing my math and intro chem classes so I have 0 upper level math and science. I Don't want to give up but I feel so far behind. I take the humanities classes of my major but avoid math and science. I don't think I'm stupid, somewhere in my heart I feel like I can pass these classes if I just find the courage but 1st term grades and my non science brain make me want to hide.

I believe in second chances so I'm all for DO but not allied health, I don't really want to try for MD because I dislike how their admission seem holier than thou- or no mistakes from anyone as a rule of thumb.

My Plan is to double major: Finish AFRO as a major since I'm so close ~10 credits away, done by end of junior year, while taking humanities classes from my major. Then Summer, Senior year and possible 5th year= Focus on math and science Pre-reqs .

I have no volunteering or extra-curricular (I feel so defeated I can't even be bothered) OR...at this point should I graduate in something random, give it 2-3 years and then try again via community college for pre-req and distance from terrible undergrad record?

Please any thoughts will help, I feel stuck in mud but I don't want to quit.

Members don't see this ad.

Keep in mind that DO schools offer grade replacement. Meaning that failed classes in the first term will be replaced by the better scores later on. This should help you greatly!

Your story is very unique and I'd imagine quite compelling for admissions. Use all of your resources to help pass the harder classes and you'll be set. Think tutors, office hours, and hard work. School (and extra-curriculars) are what you make of them. You need to be willing to put in the time and effort, but most anyone can succeed with the right drive.

EDIT: That said, too, with your career goals... Maybe consider a Public Health major instead of the harder sciences. Yes, you may decide it's not worthwhile to become a physician. However, Public Health can put you at the forefront of policy-creation if you play your cards right.

* first generation African from Liberia (Ebola Outbreak)

Wait so....you survived Ebola? Nice dude! :banana: (seriously if any situation could ever truly call for the dancing banana, this is it...)

*did great in high school, and got accepted to good public U
*Never good at math or chem, great in bio in HSchool but never failed anything
*Sticker shock, family pressure and personal expectations cause me to crash

Not that different from others, really.

1 term= 0.8GPA, 5 Classes= C- in Writing, F in AFRO (didn't know it was grad level), F in pre-cal, F in Somali Lang, Pass in Frosh seminar

By afro do you mean studies in how to style afros? Or do you mean African studies. If it is the latter that is quite ironic. If it's the former....still quite funny. Anyway yeah, it's a terrible semester. You'll fix this.

2 term= 2.9GPA, 7 classes= A in AFRO, B+ in Phil, C in Frosh bio seminar, C in Community health, Pass in Frosh seminar, Fail in Intro Chem, W in College Algebra

3 term=3.3GPA , 6 classes= A in Afro, A in Study Skills, A in Health Adviser, A in Somali Lang (retake), D+ in pre-cal, W in Intro to Chem

4 term= 3.2GPA, A in Health Adviser, B+ in AFRO, B+ in Phil, B+ in Somali Lang 2, C+ in Environment
Cum GPA= 2.908

Sweet. Just grade replace the F classes and you're on your way. Technically, as it stands right now, a 2.9 isn't terrible given your URM status. Just get it up a bit and you're good.

Obviously my strengths are history, writing, non science but I want to be a physician not just because of my immigrant family. I'm studying the history behind poor health in Africa hence AFRO course. I want to be a physician and then policy maker and hopefully government health minister. That way I will know every level of health care and can stop corruption!

This is a bada*s plan. High level gov official. Nice. Though I've never heard of a high level official that isn't at least just a little corrupt. But let's just assume the rise to the top doesn't change you (it might).

I'm in Junior year now and panicking. 5th term, classes started yesterday and I am signed up for only 2 classes! (AP credit= 1 semester so a junior credit wise).
My Major is Bio and Society so basically pre-med requirements and humanity combined. But I keep failing my math and intro chem classes so I have 0 upper level math and science. I Don't want to give up but I feel so far behind. I take the humanities classes of my major but avoid math and science. I don't think I'm stupid, somewhere in my heart I feel like I can pass these classes if I just find the courage but 1st term grades and my non science brain make me want to hide.

I'd assume your public uni has to be offering some kind of help, like a tutoring center or something. Mine does in every subject (and it's a really bad public university). Also make some smart friends and have them help you. Pay them in candy and hugs. Or just money.

I believe in second chances so I'm all for DO but not allied health, I don't really want to try for MD because I dislike how their admission seem holier than thou- or no mistakes from anyone as a rule of thumb

Yeah MD probably isn't gonna happen here.

My Plan is to double major: Finish AFRO as a major since I'm so close ~10 credits away, done by end of junior year, while taking humanities classes from my major. Then Summer, Senior year and possible 5th year= Focus on math and science Pre-reqs .

Ok that's fine but just make sure you've got those prereqs out of the way before applying.

I have no volunteering or extra-curricular (I feel so defeated I can't even be bothered) OR...at this point should I graduate in something random, give it 2-3 years and then try again via community college for pre-req and distance from terrible undergrad record?

Then....start volunteering and shadowing asap. 100hrs for volunteer, 50hrs shadow.

Please any thoughts will help, I feel stuck in mud but I don't want to quit.

I don't know, maybe you end up doing well on the MCAT. Though I don't see that happening right now, as you currently have an aversion to the sciences.

In any event, beating ebola's a*s with your awesome genetics is something to be proud of. That's gotta boost your LizzyM by like 50 at least.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wait did OP really beat Ebola, or he's just commenting that he came from a country known for Ebola outbreaks?

Add I recall, the big Ebola outbreak in Africa was like last year. He's been in school for at least two years. He could have still gotten Ebola, so if OP can clarify that would be nice.

OP is referring that he comes from a country that was Ground Zero for the outbreak, not that he's an Ebola survivor.

OP, you need to retake any F/D/C science coursework.

Wait did OP really beat Ebola, or he's just commenting that he came from a country known for Ebola outbreaks?

Add I recall, the big Ebola outbreak in Africa was like last year. He's been in school for at least two years. He could have still gotten Ebola, so if OP can clarify that would be nice.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think I'm stupid, somewhere in my heart I feel like I can pass these classes if I just find the courage but 1st term grades and my non science brain make me want to hide.
You can think this way all you want, but in the end it is only false hope unless you go out of your way and do something to change the pattern of failure. You need to acknowledge that you are not strong in these areas and seek out tutoring so that you can finally get a grasp on what is going wrong with your learning style in these subjects. Your 1st term grades are very poor, but you can't keep hiding from it.

But I keep failing my math and intro chem classes so I have 0 upper level math and science. I Don't want to give up but I feel so far behind.
If you think those classes are hard just wait until you face some of the more challenging courses. It is better to be realistic with your goals than to reach out for something unobtainable. I am not saying you CAN'T do it, but I have noticed a trend in your post--for every flaw you have an excuse as to why you did so poorly. To me, if sounds like you have reached the first step in correcting your problems, that is recognizing the problem in the first place. Identify the challenge and face it head on. As a physician and/or politician you will be dealing with much more stressful situations where real lives will be affected; it is better to get over your fears and face reality now, then to ignore them and let it pile up. You have a long road ahead of you, but if it's easy then it ain't worth it! ;)

Reactions: 1 user
Thanks for the feedback everyone but no I wasn't in the country during the recent Ebola outbreak (those who survived really do deserve that dancing banana tho:bow:). I wanted to clarify where I'm from cause that's also a reason why I what to keep trying.

I have researched the grade replacement at DO schools so I am very grateful for that. Other than that I truly do have a preference for the DO model even thought MD programs probably won't look at me at this point :unsure:

The 3 F are all from the same semester, all non-science courses but 1 F is math. I'm thinking of petitioning for academic forgiveness after Junior year depending on how things shake out.

False hope is my biggest worry, that's why I wanted you all to tell it to me straight. I'm trying (maybe even found) to find the courage to go out of my way and achieve better. I just don't know how badly this track record will hold me back cause it seem pretty dismal.

I swear I don't believe in excuse, I'm just a plural thinking. I see both sides of most arguments pretty easily so I try to honor them both if that makes sense.

but if it's easy then it ain't worth it! ;)
True words