I want to thank the state of Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sirus_virus

nonsense poster
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For having medschools with low tuition, and not joining in the continued rape of medstudents with high tuition practiced by other medschools, even in the face of declining physician income.

Members don't see this ad.

For having medschools with low tuition, and not joining in the continued rape of medstudents with high tuition practiced by other medschools, even in the face of declining physician income.

Amen.

Had I known, I would have become a Texas resident years ago. :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)

Which begs to question... How much does it REALLY cost to educate a physician?

yes, but then you have to live in Texas...Some excessive costs have no monetary value

:smuggrin:

Yes this is a very good question. I do not believe medschools need to charge as much as they do, but they do it because they can. Hell, they have more than enough people willing to pay so why not. Don't be surprised if they claim you are costing them money by some cummulative abstract calculation. As for me, I believe it is good old fashioned hustling.

I am however disgusted at the fact that they pretend not to know physicians' income is on the decline, and continue to jack up tuition, raising physicians' average debt to all time highs.

do you mean the price set for a barrel of oil set by the boys at the nymex, or the cost getting a barrel of oil for xom, cvx and the rest?

Um...we don't know, we just get our oil from our backyards. Isn't that what the rest of the nation (I mean, the US) does?

My school says that only 3% of the operating budget comes from tuition. I say great, now cut our tuition by two-thirds and make it 1% then.

Ditto about Texas. I was thinking about taking time off and establishing residency there specifically because of their medical tuition.

:thumbup:

It's nice to see that there is a state out there that understands the importance of subsidizing the people who are going to take care of you when you are sick.

Yes this is a very good question. I do not believe medschools need to charge as much as they do, but they do it because they can. Hell, they have more than enough people willing to pay so why not. Don't be surprised if they claim you are costing them money by some cummulative abstract calculation. As for me, I believe it is good old fashioned hustling.

I am however disgusted at the fact that they pretend not to know physicians' income is on the decline, and continue to jack up tuition, raising physicians' average debt to all time highs.

How much is it declining, ive heard that it is but not sure as to how drastic the decline is.

How much is it declining, ive heard that it is but not sure as to how drastic the decline is.

It is declining significantly, about 7-9% in the last 10 years. Some specialties have seen as much 18% decline in this same time frame. Medschool tuition is however rising 3X faster than inflation.They are basically exploiting the crap out of desperate students, and they have no plans to stop.