I will be DEAD before I pay off my loans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocRWB

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a 3rd time applicant, and I am also non-traditional. I will be 41 in November, so I am double the age of some dental students. I know that when I graduate from dental school at 45 or 46, I will have a mound of student loan debt. My fear is that I am so old that I will be dead before I pay my dental school student loans off. Or I will be paying off my dental school loans using my social security checks. It doesn't seem right to be paying off my student loans using government funded social security checks, but alas, most people like me in their 40s will have to face doing that. I know there are several old farts out there applying, and I want to know how they feel. I am now torn on if it is worth it to apply and take a seat away from a younger student who will benefit the profession by having 40 years of service rather than my 10 or 20. I am just thinking it is selfish to do that, but I am not sure. Is it ok to be selfish?

Members don't see this ad.

You're obviously not in it for the money. You are free from the pursuit of the greenback. Congratulations. You'll be a great dentist and your patients will love you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am a 3rd time applicant, and I am also non-traditional. I will be 41 in November, so I am double the age of some dental students. I know that when I graduate from dental school at 45 or 46, I will have a mound of student loan debt. My fear is that I am so old that I will be dead before I pay my dental school student loans off. Or I will be paying off my dental school loans using my social security checks. It doesn't seem right to be paying off my student loans using government funded social security checks, but alas, most people like me in their 40s will have to face doing that. I know there are several old farts out there applying, and I want to know how they feel. I am now torn on if it is worth it to apply and take a seat away from a younger student who will benefit the profession by having 40 years of service rather than my 10 or 20. I am just thinking it is selfish to do that, but I am not sure. Is it ok to be selfish?

join the military. 3 and out with no debt.

My uncle just graduated from pharmacy school at age 61. I hope that puts things into perspective. :)

My uncle just graduated from pharmacy school at age 61. I hope that puts things into perspective. :)

wow when did he start going back to school. It shows that even old people can still learn at that kind of age

Not sure if the military will take you because of your age, but that would be something worth looking into. Many states also offer a public health scholarship where they will pay for school if you'll agree to go work in an underserved area of the state after you graduate. But no matter how you cut it, doing what you love is worth it. It's expensive and it won't be easy, but you've only got one chance at life, so spend it doing what you really want to do. And that's my Dr. Phil moment for the week.

Qualifications for Airforce Dentistry:
• Doctorate of Dental Surgery (D.D.S) or Doctorate of Medicine in Dentistry (D.M.D) from an ADA-accredited school
• Have a valid license to practice dentistry from any state or the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands.
• Must be a U.S. citizen between the ages of 18 and 60

Hey, just FYI... I am going back after a 10 yr career in advertising/sales. While not in the 40 range yet, I had the same thoughts. It sucks to be poor... haha! but I agree with Laundry... in 20 years you will still be 60, with or without the DDS. So why not with. As long as you have a passion for it.

I do have a question... 3rd time applicant? What are your stats?

Qualifications for Airforce Dentistry:
• Doctorate of Dental Surgery (D.D.S) or Doctorate of Medicine in Dentistry (D.M.D) from an ADA-accredited school
• Have a valid license to practice dentistry from any state or the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands.
• Must be a U.S. citizen between the ages of 18 and 60

Hey, just FYI... I am going back after a 10 yr career in advertising/sales. While not in the 40 range yet, I had the same thoughts. It sucks to be poor... haha! but I agree with Laundry... in 20 years you will still be 60, with or without the DDS. So why not with. As long as you have a passion for it.

I do have a question... 3rd time applicant? What are your stats?

Well according to the New England Journal of I Know a Guy, it can be difficult to actually get in when you're over 40. I know 2 different doctors who wanted to join up after 9/11 and had a difficult time(they eventually succeeded, but it wasn't easy).

I am 48, soon to be 49, starting at ASDOH in 3 weeks. I used to be an engineer. Don't feel any guilt about taking a seat away from someone younger. It isn't up to you- it is the school's decision. I've got about 30 years of work left in me.

RP

I think you will find that it's not possible to get into the Air Force or Navy's dental scholarship programs at your age. I am 40 and discussed it with each of them last summer and found that to be the case. Now, I am actually already in the Air Force, so that may have been a factor. The only way to know for sure is to talk to them. I think I have some contact information if you want to PM me.

If you are not interested in going the military route, your best bet is to plan for school in such a way that you minimize your use of debt. That's what I'm doing. This means high quality state schools (where you have or can obtain state residency), pay down all debt beforehand and build up as much savings as possible. Devise strategies to reduce your cost of living while in school (roomates or a boarder depending on your living situation).

I have been working on a plan for a while now focused on my choice schools. I expect my school debt to be in the $50k - $100k range when I graduate (hopefully on the bottom end of that range). My plan at that point shifts to obtaining a good position as an associate and aggressively paying down the debt in a Dave Ramsey-esque fashion.

I expect to graduate at about 46, free of student debt by 48 or 49 and look to open a practice around 50, which I can run for 20 years. If I choose, I could scale that back to 15 years, or if I'm in good health and loving what I'm doing, I could continue beyond 20 years, though probably on a part time basis.

Sweet-heart,

2 x 20 = 40....Which means you're 20 the second time around. Now as far as the loan payoff: Even if you were dead before they're paid in full, I wouldn' t worry about it simply because the lenders would have recouped their investment long before any significant principle payments have been made. Life is short, you only have a few more times to be 20 again so live it up, pursue your passions and live out your dreams.

-Annisa78

I'd just like to add that, depending on what school you go to (not counting USC or NYU), you can pay off your debts in less than 10 years...easy. I'm paying off mine in 5. So if you don't plan on kick'n it at 50 then don't sweat it! We at UCSF have a 40+ student and he doesn't seem to sweat too much,...well, maybe during pre-clinic test cases, but thats it!

:)

For those not doing HPSP, how long do you think it'll take to pay off your debt....:idea:

I believe you are making one too many assumptions.....

There is no way that you, me or anyone else on SDN will ever get to see let alone use a social security check. That ship has sailed!

I am a third time applicant and will be 41 when I start, but I still think feel like I'm in my 20's.

The way I see it, I'm going to turn 65 one day DDS or not but with retirement plans going to the dumps, a 70 year old dentist could work one or two days a week (once the loans are paid off) an live a modest semi-retired life. I know of a practicing local dentist that is in his mid 80's, he is a sensation with the geriatric crowd.

I heard someone once tell me that any loan dept you still have after age 65 is forgiven, I personally didn't believe it.

I know that your loans are forgiven if you die or become disabled, so long as you take FederalPLUS loans instead of private loans. You're much too young to start thinking that way though! There are a few people in my class who are only a few years your junior and they never seem to question whether or not they belong there. You shouldn't either. Do what makes you happy.

DO IT! ;)

And if you do die before you pay off your loans, as you so morbidly put it.. YOU WIN! :D