Iam done with my Boards CAN HELP U ALL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redroulette

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After getting 88,i got my first interview call from boston
its been a hard long walk,BUT was worth it
Iam planning to help any one and everyone out there,it was a long process had no guidance.
if u guys wanna discuss any subject,we can do starting with wat to study ,to type of ques asked in each subject,the books to refer
Dental decks is not enough,its bull**** to think so.

Members don't see this ad.

ANYONE:
so Kaplan review book? First-aid '07 NBDE part I? Or First-aid '07 USMLE step 1? which book contains the best study material for the dental boards part I? not sure where to start. thanks

Hi Red
I really appreciate ur help!!!!
Im starting with my NBDE part 1,this ll be mine first attempt...but no date taken yet....i want to be thorough first...I already have read my Kaplan notes n doing Dental Decks....i refered Lippincott for biochem,which is really useful.....Anatomy scares me....liked the idea of DVDs ....
Can u plz help me with the time line,wot to study and how to study....consider me an average student....
i definitly wanna score 87 plus....
thanks

Chk ebay ,torrents iam sure u will find them.

hiiiiiii red one!! happiest congrats tou on ur scores!! i wazwondering if u could help me with my procedures here as iam new to all of this now..i graduated with a dental degree from overseas and now trying to get it going here in the states..waz surprized alil bit at frist when they toldme u need to go into a 2yrs program and all of these stuff and waz really annoyed to know that there are no programs in the state iam in...recently knew thatmost of them equire part one ..i wolud really appreciate it if u could help with knowing wat to do and wat to buy and wat to apply for!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi redroulette,

I have a month left in my exam and i m going crazy have lots to do still... please help me. how shd i go about managing my time.
Really need some advice..

The last month ,count the days and the hours u study
split the time 3 hrs revise a subject + 2 hrs do q bank +2 hrs decks
+2hrs revise another subject = 9 HRS thats kool
ITS NOT HOW MUCH U STUDY BUT WHAT U REMEMBER MATTERS MOST IN THE EXAM repeated revision is what i advise.
Good Luck

Hi Red
I really appreciate ur help!!!!
Im starting with my NBDE part 1,this ll be mine first attempt...but no date taken yet....i want to be thorough first...I already have read my Kaplan notes n doing Dental Decks....i refered Lippincott for biochem,which is really useful.....Anatomy scares me....liked the idea of DVDs ....
Can u plz help me with the time line,wot to study and how to study....consider me an average student....
i definitly wanna score 87 plus....
thanks

U need to do basics my friend,Lippencort is good.
I know anatomy is endless,Try Board review series,Usmle lecture notes
the videos are good,they help in remembering.Def worth it.
Make sure u cover all topics in the curriculum.
read my earlier posting,i have talked abt timeline,wat and how to study.
will gladly answer ur ques if u have any?

Oops!!! hard work...........hahahaha......i knw i have to be serious.
thanks for the quick response...
Ya i already read ur post....very helpful.
Anatomy is volatile....do you Achland DVDs??im ready to buy....im thinking of doing 98 onwards 10years question bank after i finish my dental decks..will that be helpful.Im studing 2006-2007 dental decks...or i need to buy new?
how abt just doing dental decks 2-3 times only...ll i be able to achieve my score??Does GPA matters much?HOw much toffel score is required??
will be in touch.

U need to do basics my friend,Lippencort is good.
I know anatomy is endless,Try Board review series,Usmle lecture notes
the videos are good,they help in remembering.Def worth it.
Make sure u cover all topics in the curriculum.
read my earlier posting,i have talked abt timeline,wat and how to study.
will gladly answer ur ques if u have any?

Oops!!! hard work...........hahahaha......i knw i have to be serious.
thanks for the quick response...
Ya i already read ur post....very helpful.
Anatomy is volatile....do you Achland DVDs??im ready to buy....im thinking of doing 98 onwards 10years question bank after i finish my dental decks..will that be helpful.Im studing 2006-2007 dental decks...or i need to buy new?
how abt just doing dental decks 2-3 times only...ll i be able to achieve my score??Does GPA matters much?HOw much toffel score is required??
will be in touch.

I do suggest decks to revise ,3 hrs for each subject ,just scan to know if u know it all,if u need to memorise them,then u r in trouble.
Decks are good enough to pass but not to get 87 plus.
Gpa does matter ,but i know ppl with 2 plus gpa gettin in with a high score on nbde 1 and 2.
toefl if u get 100 u are kool.

The last month ,count the days and the hours u study
split the time 3 hrs revise a subject + 2 hrs do q bank +2 hrs decks
+2hrs revise another subject = 9 HRS thats kool
ITS NOT HOW MUCH U STUDY BUT WHAT U REMEMBER MATTERS MOST IN THE EXAM repeated revision is what i advise.
Good Luck

Thanks redroulette,
I appreciate your quick response. I hope i am able to keep up with what you have suggested... trying to to do repeated readings..

hi red,

thanks a lot for your quick reply. I am also buying the Ackland dvds, and usmle lecture notes. I only had time to read decks and kaplan stuff once and I went through released exam 2000, 2005. The released exam is beneficial but starting what year? 1978?
I am grateful for your great help.

Thanks dear....i ll look for DVDs on ebay.....i try to follow ur guide to achieve my score.....
keep up the gud work

I do suggest decks to revise ,3 hrs for each subject ,just scan to know if u know it all,if u need to memorise them,then u r in trouble.
Decks are good enough to pass but not to get 87 plus.
Gpa does matter ,but i know ppl with 2 plus gpa gettin in with a high score on nbde 1 and 2.
toefl if u get 100 u are kool.

hi red,

thanks a lot for your quick reply. I am also buying the Ackland dvds, and usmle lecture notes. I only had time to read decks and kaplan stuff once and I went through released exam 2000, 2005. The released exam is beneficial but starting what year? 1978?
I am grateful for your great help.

Do the last ten years 1994-2006
thats more than enough.

hi redroulette,
congratulations to your exams!
i am a dental student in austria beginning to prepare for board part1 and i have read in other posts that old exams are very important; is there a way where i can get them online? how do i get the asda-exams?
are there other sources you can recommend?
thank you very much for your help!
yours
robert

congrates for yr great score!!!!!!!!!!
I want yr advise I am planning to give part 1 for 2nd time , in the 1st attempt I got 84........
Will you plz tell me what is the good source for preparing micro and pathology........
and is it ok if we do biochem from the usmle notes ????????
Also first aid nbde is useful or is it same like decks but the way of presentation of material is different in those two......or first aid usmle is more useful ........Also I am concerned that so many students have solved the old question papers from 78 .......so are they helpful or just from 98 is ok?

I am in need of yr reply..I would appreciate yr reply....

Members don't see this ad :)
congrates for yr great score!!!!!!!!!!
I want yr advise I am planning to give part 1 for 2nd time , in the 1st attempt I got 84........
Will you plz tell me what is the good source for preparing micro and pathology........
and is it ok if we do biochem from the usmle notes ????????
Also first aid nbde is useful or is it same like decks but the way of presentation of material is different in those two......or first aid usmle is more useful ........Also I am concerned that so many students have solved the old question papers from 78 .......so are they helpful or just from 98 is ok?

I am in need of yr reply..I would appreciate yr reply....

Micro i would def recomend usmle tapes and lecture notes
immunology for basics first 6 chapters of Roitt or Abbas are good
Pathology even though usmle tapes are vast Dr.John barrot makes it so interesting ,i scored 89 in path/micro from this only
As ques are pretty much straight here.
Path pneumonia is a fav,as hep in viruses.
look at old q banks for repeats u r pretty much done.
Good LUck

hi redroulette can u tell me which chapters are important from the okeson.
which chapters i should read?
thanks.

Micro i would def recomend usmle tapes and lecture notes
immunology for basics first 6 chapters of Roitt or Abbas are good
Pathology even though usmle tapes are vast Dr.John barrot makes it so interesting ,i scored 89 in path/micro from this only
As ques are pretty much straight here.
Path pneumonia is a fav,as hep in viruses.
look at old q banks for repeats u r pretty much done.
Good LUck

thanxs fr reply......actually I dont have these books which you have mentioned so is kaplan usmle is sufficient for that?
and yeah, so you prefer that usmle pathology book we should read or just see the video and read from the nbde kaplan review book.....What is better?
and you have mentioned in yr earlier posts about lippincott , what are the important chapters from that book?

Can you guys make one thing clear ? Other than getting enrolled in kaplan usmle courses, how would one obtain the KAPLAN video tapes and lecture notes ? I did some search and it seems these 2 items are not available for online purchases. On amazon, there is only a path lecture book sold. Can any of you confirm this in fo ? thanks

hi red,
wanted to ask if we need to go into so much detail w/ usmle notes transcription/translation and genetics section. please let me know.
Is there anything in usmle that is redundant and dental students dont need to study? or everything is imp?

thanks

Can you guys make one thing clear ? Other than getting enrolled in kaplan usmle courses, how would one obtain the KAPLAN video tapes and lecture notes ? I did some search and it seems these 2 items are not available for online purchases. On amazon, there is only a path lecture book sold. Can any of you confirm this in fo ? thanks

true usmle kaplan lecture notes are not sold
but all med students have them,try them
or chk for torrents

hi red,
wanted to ask if we need to go into so much detail w/ usmle notes transcription/translation and genetics section. please let me know.
Is there anything in usmle that is redundant and dental students dont need to study? or everything is imp?

thanks
DO the two section, mol biochem and basics,first 14 lecture vid [mol biochem]
then the vid lec on carb,fats,proteins met ,purines ,pyrid
the first 30 vid lectures.if u have them.

thanxs fr reply......actually I dont have these books which you have mentioned so is kaplan usmle is sufficient for that?
and yeah, so you prefer that usmle pathology book we should read or just see the video and read from the nbde kaplan review book.....What is better?
and you have mentioned in yr earlier posts about lippincott , what are the important chapters from that book?

VID tapes are only to understand ,the usmle lecture notes are enough.
i never did nbde kaplan.
Lippencort do COLLAGEN and basics of carb,fats ,protein and enzymes.
as usmle lecture notes does not deal with them.

hey red!
congrats! and it means alot tht u r willing to help out....
i have ONE MONTH left and am freaking out... i feel like i dont remember anything ive done... still have biochem/phy and micro/path decks left... and now only want to focus on important topics... cuz i want to leave time for old exams and q bank too.... HOW DO I OUT ALL THIS TOGETHER IN A MONTH!!!! totally freaking out... and need suggestions.

thats more than enough.
hai red i greatly appreciate ur help.i m having about 1 month for my exam and i need ur help.i have studied kaplan nbde lecture notes,first aid book and dental deck and usmle biochemistry lecture notes. i m having all the released q papers .and i m about revise all these .now i have a doubt whether these are enough or i have to study any other book.u advised to study okeson but i think i cant study know as i have to revise the studied topics .for upper limb and occlusion in da ,i didnt find enough sourse from my material .please tel me a book to read these topics within a few days.

thats more than enough.
hai red i greatly appreciate ur help.i m having about 1 month for my exam and i need ur help.i have studied kaplan nbde review lecture notes,first aid book and dental deck and usmle biochemistry lecture notes. i m having all the released q papers .and i m about revise all these .now i have a doubt whether these are enough or i have to study any other book.u advised to study okeson but i think i cant study know as i have to revise the studied topics .for upper limb and occlusion in da ,i didnt find enough sourse from my material .please tel me a book to read these topics within a few days.

hai red i greatly appreciate ur help.i m having about 1 month for my exam and i need ur help.i have studied kaplan nbde review lecture notes,first aid book and dental deck and usmle biochemistry lecture notes. i m having all the released q papers .and i m about revise all these .now i have a doubt whether these are enough or i have to study any other book.u advised to study okeson but i think i cant study know as i have to revise the studied topics .for upper limb and occlusion in da ,i didnt find enough sourse from my material .please tel me a book to read these topics within a few days.
if u have achland dvds it takes 4 hrs to do upper limb,if not try Brs Anat
TMJ do pkeson first 6 chapters,its worth it as 25 ques comes from it srt up.u stll have a month.revise for 3 hrs,do decks 2 hrs q bank 2 hrs.
u still can put in 2 hrs for something new.
Good Luck

hi redroulette,
congratulations to your exams!
i am a dental student in austria beginning to prepare for board part1 and i have read in other posts that old exams are very important; is there a way where i can get them online? how do i get the asda-exams?
are there other sources you can recommend?
thank you very much for your help!
yours
robert

Hi Robert
Old exam can be bought from ADA,it comes in a hard copy
50$ for each booklet.
As for other sources ,maybe a post in the wanted list of this forum will help.

How do they communicate your score/results to you after the test? Email? Mail? I took it 3 weeks ago, and am really eager to get my results.

How do they communicate your score/results to you after the test? Email? Mail? I took it 3 weeks ago, and am really eager to get my results.
Your results should come by postal mail.
It takes normally 2 weeks ,but due to the holidays its getting delayed.
I guess in a day or two,u would get it
Good Luck

VID tapes are only to understand ,the usmle lecture notes are enough.
i never did nbde kaplan.
Lippencort do COLLAGEN and basics of carb,fats ,protein and enzymes.
as usmle lecture notes does not deal with them.

Thanx red !!!!!!!!!!!!
I am really appreciate yr quick reply.Thanx again .......I wish you have a great future ahead

Iam planning to help any one and everyone out there,it was a long process had no guidance.
if u guys wanna discuss any subject,we can do starting with wat to study ,to type of ques asked in each subject,the books to refer
Hi Dear
Congradulation:thumbup:
Thank you for your kindness .whatever go arounds comes around:help:
I have plan to take wreb in 2009.
first you u tell me how can I get loan for going to duggen class and other expense?Imean do you any way!?
it seems the section belong to classified is not available anymore,how can I prepare toothfor endo?I know I should go to the offices and clinics and put a bottle ...but form where exactly you find it?
Any other help appreciated.
good luck:luck:
My email is :[email protected],if you can email me is better.

Hi again
do you have this book for wreb:treatment plan in detistry(I hope the name
is right!).
Thank you again
:thumbup:

i just start reading for nbde part1 but my problem is dental decks i dont know from where should i start or which is the best way to organize the cards or the topics and specialy if i want to read kaplan book too..plz i need help if some1 has an idea or for those how already passing through this..thanx

i just start reading for nbde part1 but my problem is dental decks i dont know from where should i start or which is the best way to organize the cards or the topics and specialy if i want to read kaplan book too..plz i need help if some1 has an idea or for those how already passing through this..thanx

The DA section is pretty much ok in decks,but keep ur wheelers ready .
Going thro Okeson first 6 chapters is also highly recommended
If u are starting fresh,thats a lil cool to srt with.
Decks are good enough to pass along with the Q banks
Good Luck

The DA section is pretty much ok in decks,but keep ur wheelers ready .
Going thro Okeson first 6 chapters is also highly recommended
If u are starting fresh,thats a lil cool to srt with.
Decks are good enough to pass along with the Q banks
Good Luck

thanx for the reply..im not familiar with the Okeson what is it??coz what i have now is the kaplan review book ..??

thanx for the reply..im not familiar with the Okeson what is it??coz what i have now is the kaplan review book ..??

As already discussed thre r 25 ques frm tmj,u need a book named
{read the earlier posts},Tmj disorders and diseases by Jeff OKeson to crack them.

Hi red
Why dont u give us a game plan in DA for a 90 plus
i have friends who have messed up there,and also teethwise and can u discuss Tmj ques in detail.thanks

I am amazed to see you helping others.i really appreciate a lot.I have just started with part 1 preparation.I am planning according to your guidelines.I am very poor at DADH.Please give me a plan for DADH for a starter.
Thanks

Last edited:
Hi Red!!

I want to know that from which book it is good to read for cns section in anatomy?

Hi Red!!

I want to know that from which book it is good to read for cns section in anatomy? and what are the important topics to read in cns?

CNS the important topics are
CSF thre is laways 2-3 ques on it
Autonomic nervous system sym & parasym N ganglia,Spinal N
The origins of Cranial Ns.the trigeminal all its branches and neucleus.
optic chiasma
the ascending ,descending tracts,pain & touch pathways.
motar,premotar areas .upper and lower motar lesions.
Alzeimers
Cavernous ,saggital sinus,and meninges
Well for books,i started with the section on nerves in usmle the introduction,its Autonomic Nervous system is good here.thats it.
Do not do the last section too vast.
For pain pathways and tracts i did Grays its actuallu kool thre.
I googled Csf and trigeminal N here is a link http://www.med.yale.edu/caim/cnerves/cn7/cn7_9.html
Good lUck

Congrats on your performance. Can you tell us how you prepared for Physio?
Thanks

optic chiasma
Alzeimers
Well for books,i started with the section on nerves in usmle the introduction,its Autonomic Nervous system is good here.thats it.
I googled Csf and trigeminal N here is a link http://www.med.yale.edu/caim/cnerves/cn7/cn7_9.html
Good lUck

optic chiasma
Alzeimers
Good lUck

Thanx Red , I really appreciate yr help..........Do you have nbde first aid for part 1?

hey red !!
would really appreciate if u could elaborate some more on physiology and dental antomy preparation..your guidelines are really so much helpful .
thanx for ur gr8 help n also sorry for the trouble

I have seen the books and tried to read it as you said earlier, but I am not able to figure out what to read , can you plz tell something in detail about the topics to be read form the lippincott, I aknow you have already mentioned it but if you elaborate it then it is more helpful to us............

Thanx................