Iam done with my Boards CAN HELP U ALL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redroulette

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
After getting 88,i got my first interview call from boston
its been a hard long walk,BUT was worth it
Iam planning to help any one and everyone out there,it was a long process had no guidance.
if u guys wanna discuss any subject,we can do starting with wat to study ,to type of ques asked in each subject,the books to refer
Dental decks is not enough,its bull**** to think so.

Members don't see this ad.

Ok Thanks. what is testlet bank? tell me the exact name? I have 2007 decks, is that ok or i need to buy 2008 or 09??
Y ou mean i dont need to do genetics like genetic diseses, chromosomal syndroms and DNA , Rna transcripion etc??
Oh thanks I didnt know lower limb is nt included. what about abdomen like ab musle orign insertion and organs like stomach gall bladder their blood supply, nerve supply, and thw whole body blood and nerve supply like shoulder musle, upper limb? are they important? how much deeply do I need to study about them?

Kindly read the curriculam for nbde part1,you have everything there,what to study,the questions from each subject.Read my thread brfore asking me the same questions again and again.
Keep your personal conversations away from this thread.
U want to write abt exams or the experience you ar welcome.

I dont sell period.
Iam neither your agony aunt,kindly dont pm me stating you are married,having kids or this is the last attempt in life,how many attempts you have given ,how u cannot focus and motivate yourself and all that blah blah blah [sry to be rude]
I dont want your pms ,please write on the thread.
ITS A HELP THREAD FOR STUDYING TO DISCUSS ABOUT BOOKS,UNIV,GRADES,and above all to discuss WITH EVERYONE EVERYTHING WE WANT TO SHARE ABOUT MAKING IT BIG IN USA

I dont sell period.
Iam neither your agony aunt,kindly dont pm me stating you are married,having kids or this is the last attempt in life,how many attempts you have given ,how u cannot focus and motivate yourself and all that blah blah blah [sry to be rude]
ITS A HELP THREAD FOR STUDYING TO DISCUSS ABOUT BOOKS,UNIV,GRADES,and above all to discuss WITH EVERYONE EVERYTHING WE WANT TO SHARE ABOUT MAKING IT BIG IN USA

that sounds extremely rude, u r supposed to be helping ,u aint doing any one a favor to give him /her such an attitude.
if u feel that people here are coming on ur nerves that much, just close the thread ,but dont mistreat any one pls:thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad :)
that sounds extremely rude, u r supposed to be helping ,u aint doing any one a favor to give him /her such an attitude.
if u feel that people here are coming on ur nerves that much, just close the thread ,but dont mistreat any one pls:thumbdown:

Its a help thread to discuss about study materials,gameplan,grades,univ as such and i intend to keep it that way.I dont wanna discuss anything else personal .Period.
IF u wanna talk abt your grades and your prep n73 you are welcome.

Hey Red,

I am trying to figure out which lecture notes I should be buying. Please be specific. Thanks for you help.

Hey Red,

I am trying to figure out which lecture notes I should be buying. Please be specific. Thanks for you help.

Depends on what you are looking out for,i would recommend doing basics from usmle lecture notes esp for physio ,biochem and micro,well if you can get the videos nothing like it.For Anatomy Achland videos are really good .
If you add for reference some topics from guyton eg endocrine,excretory.
collagen from lippencort.BRS series esp anatomy is good for reference.
DA wheelers and okeson 130pages are more than enough.
I did this only,cracked exams and got my admission
Hope it helps
Good Luck

Depends on what you are looking out for,i would recommend doing basics from usmle lecture notes esp for physio ,biochem and micro,well if you can get the videos nothing like it.For Anatomy Achland videos are really good .
Hope it helps
Good Luck

i think u scored 88 ,correct me if i am wrong, i dont call that cracking !! i think to crack the exam is to score 92 and up!! and so where did u get ur admission??

BUGSDM 2011

i think u scored 88 ,correct me if i am wrong, i dont call that cracking !! i think to crack the exam is to score 92 and up!! and so where did u get ur admission??

BUGSDM 2011

I already told you this thread is a help thread not a self boasting thread,i discuss only about studying and gaining admissions,if you have problems with my score,thats your problem.
Its for those people who cant make it and really are clueless about what to study.Why dont you stay away from my thread if you dont like it,and write in your own thread ,how you did it.
I feel really sad that you have to quote a univ in the end to prove yourself,well i dont have to do that. End of conversation.Period

Hope it helps
Good Luck

So if I am able to get the Kaplan USMLE Step 1 DVDs then I will not need to buy the lecture notes or would I still need them? I am a bit limited on time and would like to focus my studies as much as possible and trying my best to keep it concise. Thanks again Red for your help and advise.

I dont sell period.

Hey Folks,Really sorry ,For being rude,Guess i was having a bad hair day.
I know how it feels,when we come to USA and start our career all over again,we feel we are stagnating ,here and to top it all, the board exam taking and retaking makes a mess of us all.
But remember there is light at the end of the tunnel.
I have known so many success stories ,SO DONT EVEN THINK OF GIVING UP,no matter how hard it gets .YOU WILL WIN.
Just keep fighting it out there,as long as you are fighting you cannot lose.

So if I am able to get the Kaplan USMLE Step 1 DVDs then I will not need to buy the lecture notes or would I still need them? I am a bit limited on time and would like to focus my studies as much as possible and trying my best to keep it concise. Thanks again Red for your help and advise.

The Kaplan usmle step 1 come with lecture notes,lecture notes help us understand the videos better,the question given at the end of each lecture do come in the exam, it helps in revising the video lecture you just watched and understood.Good luck.

BUGSDM 2011

WELL SAID N73.
I am shocked reading such kind of posts,it never used to be like this before on sdn.I remember the time 3 yrs back when i was applying.

WELL SAID N73.
I am shocked reading such kind of posts,it never used to be like this before on sdn.I remember the time 3 yrs back when i was applying.
WHO are you anyway!!!YUP quote your univ,pull up your socks,
seek some pride,shhhhhhhh
HAVE YOU EVER HELPED ANYONE,:mad:
YOU DONT LIKE THE THREAD STAY AWAY
HEY there Rr you are doing a GREAT JOB,
keep it going:thumbup:
When people try to run you over it means you are really good RED.

Members don't see this ad :)
btw i am a FTD not a US dental student, and i graduated in 2003, so as you can see its been a while since the last time i studied basic science, and as for BIO,PHY. i scored 86 with kaplan notes ,not bad ha:laugh:, i still see that most of these videos and references are waste of time, my advice is to concentrate and to focus on what ur studying, dont get confused with too many sources . good luck to everyone takin the exam

N73
Boston University 2011:thumbup:
here i am not supporting or hitting on any one ,dont take it personal,but i must remind u that things have changed alot now,and they are making it tough day by day,and they are adding new things. if some one scored 90 with nbde kaplan and decks couple of years back,he might not be able to score the same now.i dont know why some people are so much against usmle stuff?that is not some thing out of this world actuallly what i have seen is that usmle part 1 videos are really helpful if u have time. i think Rr is right about the study material...i my self started with decks and i did if once only to find out that i retained nothing...now i am watching videos and i really retain alot when i use this audio visual aid...its not easy to get those dvds if one has them then he should really make the most out of it.they are really gud.

I dont sell period.

SO i am the rude and the bad guy seeking pride, read this carefully and u will know who is the one seeking pride and actually humiliating others asking for help:thumbup:

Thanks RedRoulette,
I have been following your thread to devise a good study planfor myself, appreciate you taking the time and effort to put up suggestions based on your own experiences. Would be great if more test-takers followed your lead.

If Kaplan would think USMLE books are for dental students they would change the cover and squeeze us.I am done with reading this thread.Those who wants to play med student are free to study medical books,but if you create a mess in your brain it gets hard to recall most basics in the examination.

Iam planning to help any one and everyone out there,it was a long process had no guidance.
if u guys wanna discuss any subject,we can do starting with wat to study ,to type of ques asked in each subject,the books to refer

Good to hear that you are here to help us out.
It is really painful when no one is there to guide.
I hope you can help me too.
Would like to discuss regarding Q's
My email Id:[email protected]

If Kaplan would think USMLE books are for dental students they would change the cover and squeeze us.I am done with reading this thread.Those who wants to play med student are free to study medical books,but if you create a mess in your brain it gets hard to recall most basics in the examination.
Have you even viewed the videos,they are so simple and clear your basics,and its above all audio visual,makes studying fun.
Giving an example. Anatomy kaplan nbde is such a drag esp histology,but usml histolgy 3 hr lecture covers everything,you should try it once,anyway this is my gameplan,everyone is entitled to there views.
Maybe ignorance is bliss for them.

OK so u want me to open my mouth.
First of all,i want you to know redroulette and phoenix 90 is the same person,both these guys gave their exam thrice first time got 86,then 84 n finally 88..A movie is going on here redroulette is playing the role of a good guy,i am helping u people not selling my materials saying quotes like u win.
On the other hand this same guy becomes phoenix,the wicked guy.He is selling his material copying and selling pirated material.Btw somebody recently transferred $127 in his account for pirated material.
On the whole these bullies are here for selling some pirated material and making thousands of dollars.
I know how everyone feels lost when u come to a strange land ,this person is selling his material n is shameless enough to continue his business even after so many people have tried to stop them.
How can you be SOOOOO selfish..........

Last edited:
i just want to say that thanks a lot for taking so much time to help everyone. really appreciate ur help.Agreed everyone has different way of studying but thanks for your guidelines and they are trully helpful.

First of all,i want you to know redroulette and phoenix 90 is the same person,both these guys gave their exam thrice first time got 86,then 84 n finally 88..A movie is going on here redroulette is playing the role of a good guy,i am helping u people not selling my materials saying quotes like u win.
On the other hand this same guy becomes phoenix,the wicked guy.He is selling his material copying and selling pirated material.Btw somebody recently transferred $127 in his account for pirated material.
On the whole these bullies are here for selling some pirated material and making thousands of dollars.
I know how everyone feels lost when u come to a strange land ,this person is selling his material n is shameless enough to continue his business even after so many people have tried to stop them.

what are you talking about ?

To make evryone aware what the videos are all about,iam discussing on video in full each day.TO HELP ALL
MICRO VIDEO comes in 5 parts
1.General Microbiology 2hr
2.Bacteria part 1 3hr
3.Bacteria part 2 2hr
4.Fungi and parasites 2hr
5.viruses 4 hr
6.Genetics and resistance 1hr

The videos are classromm lecture by a incredible lady who actually makes it so easy,she has a slide show going on while she speaks,if we note down the points in the slides and important points which she repeats as she speaks,we start rolling its all sction,we wake up and are sitting upright micro is actually easy.
Day 1.... We start She covers everything ,nonstop in each video lecture 3 hrs ,you have the librty of pausing her repeating any slide at your own pace,you are done,she takes a break you take a break,revise your notes.
Bacteria over,some one has just spoon fed you,what you shuddered ,in just 3 hrs.
The same goes on,end of day ,you revise your notes,go through the lecture notes for an hour they are basically the same stuff as what she spoke about,and you realize the days over,General and systemic bacteria over,you look at the decks breeze them well u know it all,look at some asda banks,well u know them all too,time to smile,and have a good night sleep
Day 2.. revise for an hour the notes you made .
Start the video fungi and parasites 2 hrs ,wow you never knew two hours could be this fast and interesting,pen is rolling,notes are scribbled.
time for tea and VIRUS wow the big one 4 hrs,she starts same way non stop,yoyu admire her energy,and you wondr why your own profs back in homeland made it so tough, she tells you about the important viruses of east coast and west coast,the commonest diseases in usa caused by viruses .pause and replay ,and keep going,your destiny never looked more brighter,and 90 plus in nbde exam never so gettable.
Bacterial genectics 1 hour intense and hey its evening and you revise your notes and ITS DONE
Time for decks lets do micro in 1 hour,yup you smile.
you know ,this time you are waiting for the exam lets kill it
Suddenly you are the optimist.you are smiling,tears spring in your eyes.
When DR.Costillo thanks you in the end,YOU THANK HER.
Hope to meet her some day and shake her hand.
These were my emotions which i went thro when i did the micro usmle videos.
THESE VIDEOS ARE A PART OF KAPLAN NBDE SYLABUS...when you pay 40,000 in delhi,and $$$ across usa.
these are the USP of Kaplan nbde centre.

To make evryone aware what the videos are all about,iam discussing on video in full each day.TO HELP ALL
2.Bacteria part 1 3hr
3.Bacteria part 2 2hr
5.viruses 4 hr

The videos are classromm lecture by a incredible lady who actually makes it so easy,she has a slide show going on while she speaks,if we note down the points in the slides and important points which she repeats as she speaks,we start rolling its all sction,we wake up and are sitting upright micro is actually easy.
Day 1.... We start She covers everything ,nonstop in each video lecture 3 hrs ,you have the librty of pausing her repeating any slide at your own pace,you are done,she takes a break you take a break,revise your notes.
Bacteria over,some one has just spoon fed you,what you shuddered ,in just 3 hrs.
The same goes on,end of day ,you revise your notes,go through the lecture notes for an hour they are basically the same stuff as what she spoke about,and you realize the days over,General and systemic bacteria over,you look at the decks breeze them well u know it all,look at some asda banks,well u know them all too,time to smile,and have a good night sleep
Start the video fungi and parasites 2 hrs ,wow you never knew two hours could be this fast and interesting,pen is rolling,notes are scribbled.
time for tea and VIRUS wow the big one 4 hrs,she starts same way non stop,yoyu admire her energy,and you wondr why your own profs back in homeland made it so tough, she tells you about the important viruses of east coast and west coast,the commonest diseases in usa caused by viruses .pause and replay ,and keep going,your destiny never looked more brighter,and 90 plus in nbde exam never so gettable.
Bacterial genectics 1 hour intense and hey its evening and you revise your notes and ITS DONE
THESE VIDEOS ARE A PART OF KAPLAN NBDE SYLABUS...when you pay 40,000 in delhi,and $$$ across usa.

LIKE I SAID,Redrouelette playing the role of a good guy.BTW,WHY ARE YOU PUBLISING THESE SO MUCH,TIME TO FIGURE OUT...
LETS SEE NOW wat PHOENIX 90 HAS TO SAY,WAITING.........

2.Bacteria part 1 3hr
3.Bacteria part 2 2hr
5.viruses 4 hr

2.Bacteria part 1 3hr
3.Bacteria part 2 2hr
5.viruses 4 hr

QUESTIONS anyone???
Lets Discuss Biochem videos tomorrow.

well said :thumbup: dont just listen to anyone be carefull!!;)

Biochemistry- is intense we need 5 days to do from the scratch,A......z
DAY 1 BIOCHEM
ITS better if you are starting for the first time,to skip molecular biochem initially,start from basics ,get into the groove and then explode,the information is enourmous.
Start with the Lecture on hormones...It comes aftr mol biochem in lecture notes,ALL the hormones and receptors are discussed in full here including the board exam favourite insulin.
ALL secondary messengers are explained in such a simple language,
Keep your note pad ready,pause and replay if you cannot understand
4-5 come in exam about receptors,and they are not straight ques.
evry secondary messenger is important,note not just the name but the mechanism of action.
ITs one and half hour of intense lecture,you might take two hours thats ok. The questions at the end in the lecture notes are so twisted,just like the exams,keep your guyton ready and its time to go for the kill insulin,glucagon,what increases what decreases in exercise in diabetic,in non diabetic,the receptors,secondary messge...make sure you get them right.
The next lecture is on vitamins its a breezer,but a very important basic lecture,make sure you get all the facts about vit A ,D.
Pick up Calcium metablism from guyton and parathormone,calcitonin.
ITs alomost 4 hours. Take a breather its time for the Board FAvourite metabolism and our reverred cycles.
A introductory lecture is given OVERVIEW OF METABOLISM,{chapter 11 on lecture notes,video lecture 17}
There are 3 figures in this chapter,but it combines the three main processes of Carb,fats and proteins and all the pathways involved in our entire biochem,just simply stating during meals and in between meals[fasting stage]
This is your basic chapter it links everything ,all the cycles where they appear in 2 simple figures.IF you can draw these cycles on your note pad at the end of this introductory lecture.Well you just got ready for your next 20 marks in Biochem
THe next chapter starts with carbohydrate metabolism
Glycolysis with an intro on GLUT receptors,goes on to explain the glycolysis cycle in a simple language,if you can repeat in your note pad you are done in an hour and half,finish of with ATP and electron shuttle,galactose and fructose metabolism.
3 hours,skin thro your basic carb str from lippencort next hour make notes and you are done.
Time for hot pipping mug of caffiene and a well deserved break.

hey congrats 4 ur score,am appearing in april,i need ur help,i am studying decks of 2004,will that be ok,if nt can i know what is new in new decks ,i have heard some clinical questions r i new deck,do u have link 4 that,
and suggest me waht to study,i hace done old asda ik ,il im
will that be enough or i have to do older
am really worried only 1 month left 4 my exams,i want to score gud
hope u wil help me
u can mail me at [email protected]
thanx

hey congrats 4 ur score,am appearing in april,i need ur help,i am studying decks of 2004,will that be ok,if nt can i know what is new in new decks ,i have heard some clinical questions r i new deck,do u have link 4 that,
and suggest me waht to study,i hace done old asda ik ,il im
will that be enough or i have to do older
am really worried only 1 month left 4 my exams,i want to score gud
hope u wil help me
u can mail me at [email protected]
thanx

I do suggest decks to revise ,3 hrs for each subject ,just scan to know if u know it all,if u need to memorise them,then u r in trouble.
Decks are good enough to pass but not to get 87 plus.
Do All the Asda papers from 1978-2006,DEcks are based on old Q banks with Explanations,Thats it.
If you have ONE months,thats good time,touch base with Basics Biochem all the cycles interlink them get them right inside out.[2days]
Molecular Biochem do sangers,TRanscription,translation ,okazi frg,and all enzymes involved,do this at least for 6 hours one day,and try to finish in 2 days max.Rest 3-4 hrs are for decks,Qbank and review book thats it
When you are done with this,lets discuss Anatomy

hi N73 , congrs on the great score u did well.am planning to take the exam within 3 months am planning to do dentessentials(kaplan ) book and the decks r they enough to get a score of 90

Last edited:
hi N73 , congrs on the great score u did well.am planning to take the exam within 3 months am planning to do dentessentials(kaplan ) book and the decks r they enough to get a score of 90
you also need to study from nbde first aid, or mosby review book +asda past exams, and about dentessentials?? do you meen kaplan nbde ??

you also need to study from nbde first aid, or mosby review book +asda past exams, and about dentessentials?? do you meen kaplan nbde ??
thanx alot .yeah i did mean kaplan nbde 1 its called dentessentials

Hi Redroulette,

I am preparing for the second time. In the first exam I had questions about dental ethics..do you know how I can prepare for those? I would appreciate your help.

HI RED,
you have been a great help all along.Thankyou.Waiting to hear about the detailed information for other USMLE dvds like physio,patho & ANATOMY......YOUR EXPLANATION ON MICRO & bIO MADE IT SO EASY TO GO THRU THEM,KINDLY GUIDE ABOUT THE REST TOO.God bless you.

HI RED,
you have been a great help all along.Thankyou.Waiting to hear about the detailed information for other USMLE dvds like physio,patho & ANATOMY......YOUR EXPLANATION ON MICRO & bIO MADE IT SO EASY TO GO THRU THEM,KINDLY GUIDE ABOUT THE REST TOO.God bless you.

Pathology video lectures ,though a little vast but worth it
If you do the entire set,which takes 3 days max,you can answer any question in path,Generally questions in path in nbde part 1 are direct.

Start with Vascular pathology chapter 11,
move on to ,Cardio CVS chapter12,Respiratory,Renal ,endocrines.
Then do chapters 1 to 10
Some chapters like female and male genital tract patology can be avoided.
But the rest is worth in gold
Dont forget high marks in path,micro will boost up your score and nothing is a waste.
Dr.John Barrone's enthusiam afftects you and the experience really worth it.
MAKE YOUR NOTES WHILE DOING THE VIDEOS,that is the most easy way to remember and revise
Good Luck

Biochemistry- is intense we need 5 days to do from the scratch,A......z
DAY 1 BIOCHEM
ITS better if you are starting for the first time,to skip molecular biochem initially,start from basics ,get into the groove and then explode,the information is enourmous.
Start with the Lecture on hormones...It comes aftr mol biochem in lecture notes,ALL the hormones and receptors are discussed in full here including the board exam favourite insulin.
ALL secondary messengers are explained in such a simple language,
Keep your note pad ready,pause and replay if you cannot understand
4-5 come in exam about receptors,and they are not straight ques.
evry secondary messenger is important,note not just the name but the mechanism of action.
ITs one and half hour of intense lecture,you might take two hours thats ok. The questions at the end in the lecture notes are so twisted,just like the exams,keep your guyton ready and its time to go for the kill insulin,glucagon,what increases what decreases in exercise in diabetic,in non diabetic,the receptors,secondary messge...make sure you get them right.
The next lecture is on vitamins its a breezer,but a very important basic lecture,make sure you get all the facts about vit A ,D.
Pick up Calcium metablism from guyton and parathormone,calcitonin.
ITs alomost 4 hours. Take a breather its time for the Board FAvourite metabolism and our reverred cycles.
A introductory lecture is given OVERVIEW OF METABOLISM,{chapter 11 on lecture notes,video lecture 17}
There are 3 figures in this chapter,but it combines the three main processes of Carb,fats and proteins and all the pathways involved in our entire biochem,just simply stating during meals and in between meals[fasting stage]
This is your basic chapter it links everything ,all the cycles where they appear in 2 simple figures.IF you can draw these cycles on your note pad at the end of this introductory lecture.Well you just got ready for your next 20 marks in Biochem
THe next chapter starts with carbohydrate metabolism
Glycolysis with an intro on GLUT receptors,goes on to explain the glycolysis cycle in a simple language,if you can repeat in your note pad you are done in an hour and half,finish of with ATP and electron shuttle,galactose and fructose metabolism.
3 hours,skin thro your basic carb str from lippencort next hour make notes and you are done.
Time for hot pipping mug of caffiene and a well deserved break.
can u please clear my doubts 1-dna,protein synthesis ,transcription -which book usmle lecture notes or lippencort which is better to study.2- basics of proteins is very elaborated in lippencort is it essential to study all those first 5 chapters from lippencort 3-i m having lippencort 3 rd edition is that the book u r discussing .please mention the exact chapters to study from both the books and i m having exam within a short period ,so i need ur valuable advice as early as poosible.thanks in advance

can u please clear my doubts 1-dna,protein synthesis ,transcription -which book usmle lecture notes or lippencort which is better to study.2- basics of proteins is very elaborated in lippencort is it essential to study all those first 5 chapters from lippencort 3-i m having lippencort 3 rd edition is that the book u r discussing .please mention the exact chapters to study from both the books and i m having exam within a short period ,so i need ur valuable advice as early as poosible.thanks in advance

You need to do molecular biochem completely from Usml videos and lecture notes.Only collagen to do from lippencort and basics of fats,proteins and carb REST ALL FROM USML VIDEOS & LECTURE NOTEs .
Do the questions at the end of each lecture.{Lecture notes]

Thank you Red, you havre been an inspiration througout,your encouragement is contagious & keeps me going.Thankyou God bless you.Kindly guide on Anatomy too when you find time.Thanks again.

hey red...
awesme job...thanks for helping eveyone...red do we need to know everything given in BRS for abdomen and upper limb or origin, insertion and action of the muscles will be enough...also from where to read CN...and do we need to know every CN in detail....

will appreciate if you can reply....

hey thr...congratulation for hvng such a nice score...all the best for ur applications....can i hv ur number pls or ur mail id......if u dnt mind...thanx..