Ideas for Christmas gifts now that a lot of us are accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I bought myself an Xbox One for Christmas. YOLO.

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have stuff to furnish your apartment? I have been told to get a crock pot.
Crockpots are fantastic. I highly suggest getting one. I will definitely be getting one when I move. I also think Keurigs are cool, but I hate how wasteful the pods are.

I asked for a puppy so he can be my companion through these next wonderful years

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I asked for a puppy so he can be my companion through these next wonderful years
I want to get a puppy, but I'm afraid I won't have time :(

I want to get a puppy, but I'm afraid I won't have time :(
Same fear but I kinda figured it out, get it before moving, train him, live alone, study at home.

I have never used a scope where differentiating lung sounds and listening to heart sounds was easier in a relatively noisy environment.
I don't find it all that much better than my Classic II, personally. But I do like the ability to convert one side to a pedi diaphragm, that has proven invaluable.

heated blanket not a bad idea depending on where i go haha. i want one now but old house = one outlet in my entire bedroom and it's across the room haha, would have to run an extension cord along my door frame and then the baseboard.. might still be worth it tho for that toasty warmness!

i'll have to pass on the dog, i have one now, and i love her.. but i'm allergic and i definitely notice an improvement if i'm not around her as much. although if i continue on these allergy shots, i won't be allergic in another 1-1.5 years or so.

animals are fantastic though, such good stress relievers.

glad i didn't order any of those medical books yesterday!

from amazon:
Take an Extra 30% Off Any Book: Use promo code HOLIDAY30 at checkout to get an extra 30% off any book for a limited time. Excludes Kindle eBooks and Audible Audiobooks. Restrictions apply.

money- since I'm moving cross country and can only take so many items

Reactions: 1 users
lol i may just end up buying these for myself, but i found

Atul Gawande "Better" and "Complications" both for <$10 each and also "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" for the same price. All hardcover, but used on Amazon.

The Henrietta Lacks story is the history of HeLa cells, if any of you are familiar with those. I've got quite a bit of downtime between now and starting school and think that all three of these could be really good reads!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0805063196/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1G31V8EZLIGGE
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0805082115/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AH87AK2HMCSJY
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1400052173/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1G31V8EZLIGGE

yeah i should probably convert... sigh. i like paper books, but obviously really good points.
The HeLa book is actually pretty boring in my opinion. So far I have found that anything from Gawande is good, as well as the book "Becoming Dr. Q." Thats pretty solid as well.

Read The House of God.

Reactions: 5 users
Oh don't get me wrong I definitely see the need for it. In fact, my school has an iPad requirement so I will definitely have the capability to do that. The iPad part does scare me a bit because while I know all the ins and outs of most versions of Windows and I am totally a newb when it comes to Apple products as I generally avoid them like the plague.
Been a hardcore windows and android user my whole life (to the point of arguing with people haha). I recently switched over to Apple after some curiosity of using them at work. I will be going all Apple for school. People can argue all they want, but their stuff is quick, easy, and pretty much always works (I have found at least) - those are definitely benefits while slammed with school. I just want something intuitive and that is very reliable. I found that Apple stuff does in fact fit the bill. I watched a couple youtube videos and was good to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also if you drink coffee get yourself one of these:
http://www.target.com/p/tea-press-bodum/-/A-15847595#prodSlot=medium_2_30

In undergrad I used an old school coffee pot. Then when I got married and started working I used a Keurig with a reusable K-Cup. I recently found this gem and will never go back to any other method of making coffee. It was made by some chemist and it is very quick to use and absurdly easy to clean. It is also very small and does not require any plugs which helps with our limited counter space in our tiny apartment. If I didnt just buy it, I would be asking for one for Christmas haha.

just got the perfect deal for moving expenses, etc too. amazon offered me a $70 giftcard for signing up for one of their credit cards when i was checking out with my books today. what they offered me was a $3500 limit, so that'll be perfect for my school expenses before i get my loan refund check. computer, tablet, some housewares, etc.

i did order House of God as well.

Last edited:
just got the perfect deal for moving expenses, etc too. amazon offered me a $70 giftcard for signing up for one of their credit cards when i was checking out with my books today. what they offered me was a $3500 limit, so that'll be perfect for my school expenses before i get my loan refund check. computer, tablet, some housewares, etc.

i did order House of God as well.

Just a quick question since it looks like you plan to carry the balance of the card until your loan refunds come in, but are you aware how high the interest is on the amazon visa card? Just asking because my bank credit card has a way lower interest rate.

Just a quick question since it looks like you plan to carry the balance of the card until your loan refunds come in, but are you aware how high the interest is on the amazon visa card? Just asking because my bank credit card has a way lower interest rate.

thanks for bringing that up, i didn't think to check with my bank.

my amazon card is at 19.24% so i will contact my bank and see what they can offer. i've got fantastic credit, so i'm not too worried about not qualifying although i think opening up multiple accounts in succession can look bad, so i'd likely wait until closer.

i primarily just did this for the free $70 lol. i've never carried a credit card balance in my life.

Typically the better rewards a credit card gives you for using it the higher the interest rate. It's probably a good card.

thanks for bringing that up, i didn't think to check with my bank.

my amazon card is at 19.24% so i will contact my bank and see what they can offer. i've got fantastic credit, so i'm not too worried about not qualifying although i think opening up multiple accounts in succession can look bad, so i'd likely wait until closer.

i primarily just did this for the free $70 lol. i've never carried a credit card balance in my life.

Wonderful, you're like me. I pay mine off every month in full. But, dang that is a crazy high rate. My wells Fargo card is only 10%. I think a bank will play fair with you, good luck!

Wonderful, you're like me. I pay mine off every month in full. But, dang that is a crazy high rate. My wells Fargo card is only 10%. I think a bank will play fair with you, good luck!

thanks, yeah i have 4 credit cards now including the amazon card. none have ever carried a balance and none have ever been close to their max (which i hear impacts it.. although it may only be if you're carrying a balance, not a charge).

the "only" debt I have is undergrad... although it's rather hefty ha. not terrible since i had great scholarships, but still so daunting... i'll be laughing at this amount once i enroll in med school thoguh.

Crockpots are fantastic. I highly suggest getting one. I will definitely be getting one when I move. I also think Keurigs are cool, but I hate how wasteful the pods are.
Seriously. I can't cook crap. But, crockpots are freaking awesome. It's like you are cooking but you aren't........

Destiny, Titan Fall, Halo Master Chief Collection
Halo Master Chief Collection came with it (well the download code did) and is still currently downloading on my 1.5 mbps internet. Already have Destiny on PS3. I was thinking about Dragon Age Inquisition, but don't know anyone that has played it.

Halo Master Chief Collection came with it (well the download code did) and is still currently downloading on my 1.5 mbps internet. Already have Destiny on PS3. I was thinking about Dragon Age Inquisition, but don't know anyone that has played it.

Yeah it took hours on my 50mbps... Haha.

Have played the latter, trailers look cool tho.

You're getting a Maine Coon, right? Go big or go home.
droppedImage_5.jpg
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1417489479.044076.jpg
This guy was just as much as a Maine Coon, but he's pretty awesome. I don't regret spending the money on him.

Reactions: 2 users
If we are talking about gifts to ourselves here...I am planning on throwing together a new gaming PC this winter. While I know I won't have much time in med school, there should still be time for a game here and there and I can imagine it will be really a satisfying stress buster the evening after a block exam. Here's to hoping so anyway...lol

If we are talking about gifts to ourselves here...I am planning on throwing together a new gaming PC this winter. While I know I won't have much time in med school, there should still be time for a game here and there and I can imagine it will be really a satisfying stress buster the evening after a block exam. Here's to hoping so anyway...lol
I work with a physician who went to UMKC. He said he and several classmates had plenty of time for gaming.

I work with a physician who went to UMKC. He said he and several classmates had plenty of time for gaming.

Great to know, as gaming and guitar are my two main stress relievers and where I usually turn for a study break; thus, I would be loathe to entirely give them up.

Great to know, as gaming and guitar are my two main stress relievers and where I usually turn for a study break; thus, I would be loathe to entirely give them up.
Ditto.

Madden! Or assassins creed which came with my bundle :)

Madden! Or assassins creed which came with my bundle :)
Was never a big fan of sports games (maybe they're just a guy thing? idk) but I have wanted to try Assassin's Creed. Which one would you recommend?

Was never a big fan of sports games (maybe they're just a guy thing? idk) but I have wanted to try Assassin's Creed. Which one would you recommend?
I just bought that bundle as well, and Assassins Creed Unity is pretty fun. I recommend that one more than Black Flag.

member of the no gaming crew checking in lol

lol i may just end up buying these for myself, but i found

Atul Gawande "Better" and "Complications" both for <$10 each and also "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" for the same price. All hardcover, but used on Amazon.

The Henrietta Lacks story is the history of HeLa cells, if any of you are familiar with those. I've got quite a bit of downtime between now and starting school and think that all three of these could be really good reads!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0805063196/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1G31V8EZLIGGE
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0805082115/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=AH87AK2HMCSJY
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1400052173/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A1G31V8EZLIGGE

yeah i should probably convert... sigh. i like paper books, but obviously really good points.

Check out his latest book, Being Mortal. It just came out in October. You MIGHT like The Checklist Manifesto, but it's not as exciting as Complications or Better.

Check out his latest book, Being Mortal. It just came out in October. You MIGHT like The Checklist Manifesto, but it's not as exciting as Complications or Better.

will have to check that one out as well....

got a medical spanish book too!

==edit==
this has kind of turned into a "gifts we buy ourselves" thread haha.

Seriously. I can't cook crap. But, crockpots are freaking awesome. It's like you are cooking but you aren't........
I'm the same way, but if I do something like this, then the food tastes better.
ECZQZoi.gif

But I should definitely get a crockpot.

haha I'll be moving with my newly adopted Maine Coon. He's a year old and like 15 lbs.
Just checking in to say I have two 11-year-old Maine Coons and they're 22 pounds each. I have almost 45 pounds of cat.

(But they're the most amazing, cuddly, loyal fluffballs in the world)

I'm the same way, but if I do something like this, then the food tastes better.
ECZQZoi.gif

But I should definitely get a crockpot.

a crockpot is #1 on my list for my future apartment. Put food in before I leave for class - come home to a warm & ready to eat meal. I've already been messing around with some recipes at home (pulled pork bbq = SO GOOD)

Just checking in to say I have two 11-year-old Maine Coons and they're 22 pounds each. I have almost 45 pounds of cat.

Pics!!!

a crockpot is #1 on my list for my future apartment. Put food in before I leave for class - come home to a warm & ready to eat meal. I've already been messing around with some recipes at home (pulled pork bbq = SO GOOD)
Right? It's so cool. Pair that up with a rice cooker. Set the crock on low before you head to class. Set the rice cooker to have rice ready for dinner. Pulled pork/pulled chicken over rice. Basically magic.

Oh, and sweet potatoes in the microwave.

Yes Maine Coons are very large and need lots of stimulation because they tend to be dog-like (which makes them so likable). Maine Coons end up in shelters often due to their size and personality. People get them without realizing how they are. I have a Maine Coon/Siamese mix, and she's almost 14. She plays fetch. They are great cats, but they are genetically predisposed to heart problems. So if anyone goes with a breeder, make sure it's reputable (but check the shelters first!).

i have a rice cooker at home (just a pretty cheap one... on/off switch) and i can never seem to get perfect rice. it's usually incredibly sticky. i've found that rice can be pretty sticky if it's cooked on the stove too if you don't put in butter or olive oil.... but idk what the deal is with the rice cooker. maybe i just suck at even the easiest cooking.

Pork seems to do the best in the crockpot, in my opinion. I love having one though, because you can put pretty much put anything in it and have a balanced meal that will feed you for a few days. Chili and fajitas are great in it.

i have a rice cooker at home (just a pretty cheap one... on/off switch) and i can never seem to get perfect rice. it's usually incredibly sticky. i've found that rice can be pretty sticky if it's cooked on the stove too if you don't put in butter or olive oil.... but idk what the deal is with the rice cooker. maybe i just suck at even the easiest cooking.
I was just going to say extra butter. I too ended up just cooking it on the stove since it turns out better but I found putting in some extra butter and salt while cooking in the rice cooker can help. I have no clue why chemically, but it just works.

You doing 1:2 rice:water? Also, rinse the rice about 3-4 times first (learned that trick from my Korean roommate). I also have a cheap one that burns the rice and won't shut off on time. I have to time it myself. I will be buying a good one from Japan before school starts.

Pork seems to do the best in the crockpot, in my opinion. I love having one though, because you can put pretty much put anything in it and have a balanced meal that will feed you for a few days. Chili and fajitas are great in it.

we actually did our turkey in the crockpot for thanksgiving. it was just a turkey breast tho, so dark meat lovers this won't apply to you.

mix:
1C orange juice, 1 can cranberry sauce (whole cranberries inside is best i think), and one packet of powdered onion soup mix

pour over turkey breast and pop it on low for like 5 hours i think... or high? i can't remember... until it's cooked through haha.

I was just going to say extra butter. I too ended up just cooking it on the stove since it turns out better but I found putting in some extra butter and salt while cooking in the rice cooker can help. I have no clue why chemically, but it just works.

yeah i've come to that conclusion too... but my macros don't allow too much fat arggghh

You doing 1:2 rice:water? Also, rinse the rice about 3-4 times first (learned that trick from my Korean roommate). I also have a cheap one that burns the rice and won't shut off on time. I have to time it myself. I will be buying a good one from Japan before school starts.

will try the rinsing! yeah i've been using 1:2 rice:water in cups. i probably should invest in a good digital one too before schools starts. some of the fancier ones can even be programmed to start at a certain time so you'd have perfectly cooked rice done the second you walk in the door.

will try the rinsing! yeah i've been using 1:2 rice:water in cups. i probably should invest in a good digital one too before schools starts. some of the fancier ones can even be programmed to start at a certain time so you'd have perfectly cooked rice done the second you walk in the door.
Yup. That's a must. Then you can just have your rice ready as you walk in the door. Even if you stay at school later than planned, the good ones do an excellent job at keeping the rice warm and won't burn it. I remember my roommate's would keep rice on warm for days haha. Perfectly cooked every time. Well worth the investment.