Ideas for Christmas gifts now that a lot of us are accepted?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
good luck with that, i thought about getting a smart TV when i was in UG, but just decided against it. I probably wouldn't get one for med school either.. just depends i suppose. Wish Black Friday was closer to summer so we'd have a solid idea of 1) where we are going for sure and 2) who we were living with (if applicable) so we knew what items we needed to buy/bring haha.
MEMORIAL DAY SALES!! granted not as good as black friday, but it's something!

Members don't see this ad.

So it's settled that those with cat avatars probably don't have cats but have a obsession with them anyways.

Goro's avatar is even his daughter's cat. I think Catalisk probably owns cats...a lot of them!
my avatar is my cat, and his name is jasper, hence the great jaspy. he is part maine coon :)

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Dangit I thought we got away from talking about cats

Its the internet, cats permeate all aspects thereof.

memes-the-internet-is.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
@AlteredScale , I thought you were nominated to make the pre-osteo post-cycle stress relief cat picture thread? Internet cat has examined this forum and is displeased.
hack-like-pro-use-netcat-swiss-army-knife-hacking-tools.1280x600.jpg

@AlteredScale , I thought you were nominated to make the pre-osteo post-cycle stress relief cat picture thread? Internet cat has examined this forum and is displeased.
hack-like-pro-use-netcat-swiss-army-knife-hacking-tools.1280x600.jpg
Hahaha shoot...if I do it it might get shut down though! Maybe "how cats help the admissions process?" I need to find a good thread name!

Hahaha shoot...if I do it it might get shut down though! Maybe "how cats help the admissions process?" I need to find a good thread name!

Well....they let therapy animals into nursing homes and hospitals...There have been studies that show that pets are good for ones health and lower stress....sooooooooooooo perhaps "SDN Therapy Animals - The Pre-Osteo version....2014/15" or something :thinking:

i have a rice cooker at home (just a pretty cheap one... on/off switch) and i can never seem to get perfect rice. it's usually incredibly sticky. i've found that rice can be pretty sticky if it's cooked on the stove too if you don't put in butter or olive oil.... but idk what the deal is with the rice cooker. maybe i just suck at even the easiest cooking.
Try using a 1.75 : 1 ratio of water : rice. If it's too sticky, it's probably because you're using too much water, and you're not washing it before you cook it. Source: I'm Chinese and have been making bomb rice my entire life.

Reactions: 1 users
Try using a 1.75 : 1 ratio of water : rice. If it's too sticky, it's probably because you're using too much water, and you're not washing it before you cook it. Source: I'm Chinese and have been making bomb rice my entire life.

So wash before cooking and only use 1.75:1 ratio?

So wash before cooking and only use 1.75:1 ratio?
Yup! I wash 2-3 times before cooking. I also recommend letting the rice sit for like 5 min after the light goes off so it can steam a little longer and cool down. And if you prefer drier rice, use less water/let it steam longer. I use a pretty cheap rice cooker ~$45 and this is what my mom has been doing for years.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It also helps if you invest in good quality rice. I buy Kokuho Rose because I'm kind of snobby bout my rice... lol. A bit pricier, but it's definitely worth it. Especially since rice is usually the base of your meal.

It also helps if you invest in good quality rice. I buy Kokuho Rose because I'm kind of snobby bout my rice... lol. A bit pricier, but it's definitely worth it. Especially since rice is usually the base of your meal.

Would you still suggest 1.75:1 for brown rice? That's my preferred kind for the fiber and micros

Surprised no one has mentioned a Roku, Fire TV, or a chromecast yet. You can pretty much sync anything to your tv without actually having to buy a smart tv. The Roku almost replaces cable TV itself.

Would you still suggest 1.75:1 for brown rice? That's my preferred kind for the fiber and micros
I've never cooked brown rice in my rice cooker before... So I'm not sure. But if your complaint is that it's still sticky, less water should help. Mind you, if you're puttjng in oil and butter and anything else, my words may no longer hold. I think rice is best cooked with just water. Then you can add in everything else after and stirfry a bit.

Surprised no one has mentioned a Roku, Fire TV, or a chromecast yet. You can pretty much sync anything to your tv without actually having to buy a smart tv. The Roku almost replaces cable TV itself.
The issue I have had with chromecast is that it uses so much bandwidth. If chromecast is running, all other Internet processes come to a halt. You need to have really good Internet for that to even be an option. I currently have 30 Mbps and that still isn't enough.

I have a roku stick at home and love it. I definitely don't share Hulu and Netflix with other people who split the cost. I don't have cable anymore and haven't even wished I did since I dropped it.

My list of things to buy as soon as I get an acceptance: Moto X cellphone (I currently have galaxy s2), Moto 360 smartwatch, galaxy note, and rayban sunglasses.

I have the moto x... Just got it s few months ago and then they release a newer one
.. Damnit

The issue I have had with chromecast is that it uses so much bandwidth. If chromecast is running, all other Internet processes come to a halt. You need to have really good Internet for that to even be an option. I currently have 30 Mbps and that still isn't enough.
Ahh I see. I have a roku sick and so far no problems like that yet. I was considering getting a Chromecast too.

I have a roku stick at home and love it. I definitely don't share Hulu and Netflix with other people who split the cost. I don't have cable anymore and haven't even wished I did since I dropped it.
Already ahead of me then haha

Well...I went ahead and got myself a new gaming PC build for Christmas (I mentioned I was considering it earlier in the thread) . I figured it would be good to have it 6 months early so I can work any gremlins out of the system before school starts.

I feel like so much depends on who I end up living with and what they can bring so Christmas isn't ideal.... Memorial day gift thread? Lol

Well...I went ahead and got myself a new gaming PC build for Christmas (I mentioned I was considering it earlier in the thread) . I figured it would be good to have it 6 months early so I can work any gremlins out of the system before school starts.
I was debating doing this too but the build I want would be like $700~ and I want too much other stuff too...

cooked some brown rice with about 1.8:1 water:rice. just water, soy sauce for flavor/salt, cayenne (because I love the spice), and black pepper. no oil/butter. rinsed the rice quite vigorously.

seems like it turned out well, time will tell when I get to check it after it's been in the fridge. sometimes it ends up like a gelatinous blob, but I am remaining hopeful based on how it was when it was still hot.