if you won the mega million tonight for 636 million dollars

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Knee deep? Aren't you like an MS1/2? Far from knee deep, if i was two years in and had 600 mil dropped in my lap i'd deuce deuce apple juice lolol
I guess what I mean is that I've worked so hard to get to this point that I might as well finish... I don't know. I might react differently if it actually happened.

Members don't see this ad.

How this thread usually goes:

Premeds: "Yes I would still go to medical school, money cannot buy the personal fulfillment of healing others."

Medical students : "Hell no, I would drop out of medical school right now."

I would probably still get my degree, but afterwards live it easy the rest of life.. have houses in a few different countries and just move around whenever I feel like it.

Reactions: 1 user
I would finish, do residency, and use the money to reduce the suffering in our world. I'd take an immediate cash payout...so 300 something million dollars.

Members don't see this ad :)
Most definitely. Now I can finally pay for med school and live large while doing it.

I'd probably go into hiding so I didn't get hounded for money for the rest of my life. Winning the lottery is like the worst thing that could happen to you.
I can think of a few things worse than $600 million dollars...

Would you still apply to medical schools and go through ~7 yrs long training to become a physician?

7 yrs of training isn't very long considering the gravity and responsibility of the career. With that said I'd still go, I'd just have a much easier time living a life while in medical school.

MD or bust.

Yes, I would still go, but under different circumstances. First I'll buy stanford a building named after my family to get admitted to their MD. Second, I would buy a ferrari california. Third, I'd get an apartment just for me. And lastly, I'd probably get an MBA to take care of my finances.

After med school I'd see patients part-time and use the rest of my time to work on my investments.

Yeh probably. I would still want to have a career/something to do. And I think I'd genuinely like medicine. I would probably only work part time though and take more time to be with family and travel.

There's no coincidence that the overwhelming majority of past mega winners are miserable. If not dead.

Have you seen the people that typically win the lottery? I'd be dead too if I spent 300 million on cigs and Slim Jims.

I guess what I mean is that I've worked so hard to get to this point that I might as well finish... I don't know. I might react differently if it actually happened.
Ah, okay thats a fair response. Ultimately it would be up to them. I would probably quit and travel and do charity work around the world/country. That kind of money can make a big impact in the lives of people who literally have nothing.

Fixing colds and broken arms and removing tumors is totally admirable. But with half a billion, I'd travel and give villages running water and stuff like that. That would be fun, and of course travel the f*cking worldddddddddd. Theres alot of cool **** out there to see.

Members don't see this ad :)
How this thread usually goes:

Premeds: "Yes I would still go to medical school, money cannot buy the personal fulfillment of healing others."

Medical students : "Hell no, I would drop out of medical school right now."

I would probably still get my degree, but afterwards live it easy the rest of life.. have houses in a few different countries and just move around whenever I feel like it.

Lol SDN premeds (and premeds in general) are pursuing an altruistic, enriching professions by aggressive cutthroat competition and whining they'll sacrifice a body part just to get w seat in med school.No wonder people despise premeds.

OT: i'll buy my way to Congress and later president, clear the national debt, be a hero, and then go to HMS on a free ride just for the lulz

I could do a lot more good in the world by carefully managing my winnings than I could ever do as a physician. Every hour in medical school and residency would be an hour I could have spent building clinics with self-sustaining charters, seeking donors, and creating innovative programs to manage health and education around the world. I could retire today and never work again with 3 million dollars, so I guess the rest of my life would be devoted to figuring out how to best give away the other millions. I might pursue a doctorate in public health with a focus in epidemiology to keep my mind busy though.

Of course, I'm assuming most of the people on SDN are smart enough to not play the lottery, which is basically just a tax for people who are terrible at math.

Would you still apply to medical schools and go through ~7 yrs long training to become a physician?

Absolutely. Medicine has always been a dream so money wouldn't change that. Besides, I'd feel completely useless if I just squandered away money for the rest of my life and didn't do anything productive with my time.

say you get 200 million. Take 5 mil out, live large for a few years and put the rest in investments; you'll make 10-50 million a year just on investments.

I would also donate $1 million to sdn so I can become a diamond lifetime member; I can troll or say anything I want without getting banned

Everyone here is way more altruistic than me. I would seriously just spend the money on myself or family. Maybe set up a scholarship fund and make kids jump through hoops.

Absolutely. Greater financial security would NOT change who I am. I am a hard worker and love to learn.

Winning the lottery would enable me to make less money and possibly go into a lower paying specialty.

Other doctors: I suspect that winning the lottery could make some fee-for-service doctors more honest as well.

Last edited:
I'd give the winning ticket to my mom. She's such a humble and kind lady that she'd use it about 1000000x better than I ever could. I also wouldn't want to kill my dream of becoming a doctor by hamstringing my determination. Finally, I'd still probably get a big chunk of inheritance when I'm older so I wouldn't have to worry about retirement. :)

I would donate money to Cornell and have them rename Weill-Cornell Medical College to "Cornell University School of Medicine", because I'm menacing like that lol

I would donate money to Cornell and have them rename Weill-Cornell Medical College to "Cornell University School of Medicine", because I'm menacing like that lol

Go balls out and make it "Cornell University Medical School." Dat acronym.

Reactions: 2 users
Go balls out and make it "Cornell University Medical School." Dat acronym.

If anything it would just be Cornell Medical School.

I went to CMS.
CMS? Don't you mean, HMS?
No, I didn't go to Harvard - I went to Cornell. It's not a typo, it's CMS.

I would still go, but I would make all of my friends millionaires and setup dozens of scholarships for other students.

To the OP..hell no. Would invest almost all of the money. Use some of it for travel/car/house. Set up a scholarship as well...donate to some charities.

Yes! Money and endless free time is great and everything, but ultimately I would feel unfulfilled.
This, so this! I could also hire people to clean my place for me on a regular basis. Nothing like coming home to a nicely cleaned apartment.

Is this rhetorical question before or after taxes take away most of it? Having that kind of cash where I work would be insane, if thugs can go kidnap and kill for ransom some guy who only earns 30,000 dollars a year without remorse, why would anyone think a guy with half a billion dollars would be any safer living in such an area? I'd be too busy worried about looking over my back or driving in highways at night with armed cops wielding AK-47's popping up waiting for me.
Again, with high tech miniature GPS devices that can be secretly injected under your skin you could always hire Chuck Norris to be your personal bodyguard and find you wherever you are, that ain't such a bad idea. Nobody would ever want to harm me if Chuck was going to be the last face they'd ever see!

If I had 1 million dollars I'd buy a nice apartment in Spain and get a fast track path to a EU passport, might come in handy..
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1387996619.620253.jpg

No, id open a bunch of clinics in walmarts.

Is this rhetorical question before or after taxes take away most of it? Having that kind of cash where I work would be insane, if thugs can go kidnap and kill for ransom some guy who only earns 30,000 dollars a year without remorse, why would anyone think a guy with half a billion dollars would be any safer living in such an area? I'd be too busy worried about looking over my back or driving in highways at night with armed cops wielding AK-47's popping up waiting for me.
Again, with high tech miniature GPS devices that can be secretly injected under your skin you could always hire Chuck Norris to be your personal bodyguard and find you wherever you are, that ain't such a bad idea. Nobody would ever want to harm me if Chuck was going to be the last face they'd ever see!

If I had 1 million dollars I'd buy a nice apartment in Spain and get a fast track path to a EU passport, might come in handy..

Personally, I would go with Denzel as my bodyguard.

You do bring up a good point though. However, in the US, you'd have to worry about people even worse than kidnapping thugs....... malpractice lawyers.

Well, one could certainly buy their way into medical school. I would also go to school so I could learn to manage all that money.

Buy a condo with a view to Central Park, open one of the first Starbucks franchise, open various fast-foods and exotic franchises. Nothing related with medicine.

How much of a slob are you that you need over $600 million to get your place cleaned lol

Hahaha I just know someone who is really great at cleaning things the way I want it and putting things away and also someone who I trust with my valuables. I only ask her to come clean our shared 4 bedroom house when it's finals week or a super hectic week at work because I get too frazzled to deal with that stuff. But it's expensive. Like $70/hr... and it's not something my roommates and I can afford on a regular basis!

I would still go to med school, but instead of doing a residency I would be batman.

Reactions: 1 users
Personally, I would go with Denzel as my bodyguard.

You do bring up a good point though. However, in the US, you'd have to worry about people even worse than kidnapping thugs....... malpractice lawyers.

Better call Saul

NO!!!

There are already enough s'bux in NYC. No amount of money makes it okay to make more s'bux here. NOOOOOOOO don't do it lol

Don't worry, free venti sized beverage every week for the rest of your life.