Illinois c/o 2015 Hopefuls

Started by Tco87
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
errr, for those of you who sent in your acceptances, is there a deposit? i looked high and low and didn't see instructions anywhere regarding that. 😀

Nope - no deposit.

As for over-acceptance: as far as I'm aware, they don't over-accept. If you have an offer, your seat is safe until April 15th.
 
I have a one bedroom apartment at The Village in Savoy that I am going to need to sublease. My rate includes having a pet and is less than the new leases. PM me for more info.
 
Can anyone speak to U-C's ethnic diversity, or diversity at U of I in general? I'm afraid I'm going to stick out like a sore thumb... and I would really miss eating different types of food..
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Can anyone speak to U-C's ethnic diversity, or diversity at U of I in general? I'm afraid I'm going to stick out like a sore thumb... and I would really miss eating different types of food..

fremont - i am guessing east asian? if yes, i saw a korean place (spoon house), asian style frozen yogurt (cocomero), and other stuff. dunno if they're actually good/authentic, take a look on yelp. i only got a chance to see what's close to the illini student union

in terms of the people, i saw quite a bit of asians in the general, presumably undergraduate, population. there seems to be a variety of non-american and american asians.

if you're not east asian, then...ignore what i said.

i remember taking a look at class portraits of recent years, and most vet classes seem to be mostly caucasian. i don't see too many minorities in vet med at any school though (other than western u and maybe davis?)
 
Last edited:
Hey all. New to this whole forum thing, but am currently trying to decide between UPenn and Illinois, and I just have a couple questions about Illinois. How many surgeries do you perform in the core curriculum before graduating? And does the school offer any help with finding summer jobs/externships? If the answers are posted on another thread that I somehow missed, feel free to redirect me! Thanks for any help!
 
Im indian actually, so a diff kind of east asian haha.And yeah most vet students are caucasians, I was just wondering about the town/university as a whole. The website made it seem like yhe undergrad pop is a little diverse. More research on yelp to ensue. Thanks!
 
Im indian actually, so a diff kind of east asian haha.And yeah most vet students are caucasians, I was just wondering about the town/university as a whole. The website made it seem like yhe undergrad pop is a little diverse. More research on yelp to ensue. Thanks!

ah, south asian it is. i don't recall seeing a single south asian (and none of the region's food) during my short stay.

here's info from their website:
41,918 Total students: 31,209 undergraduate and 10,709 graduate and professional students, 53% men, 47% women, 6.0% African-American, 6.0% Latino/a, 12.0% Asian-American, 0.27% Native American, and 15% International

what other schools are you looking at?
 
Im indian actually, so a diff kind of east asian haha.And yeah most vet students are caucasians, I was just wondering about the town/university as a whole. The website made it seem like yhe undergrad pop is a little diverse. More research on yelp to ensue. Thanks!

There's actually quite a large Indian population on campus. It is mostly concentrated on the Engineering campus, though. There are also some software companies around that have quite a few South Asian employees, so there is growing demand. There are a few restaurants and grocery stores geared to Indian cuisine:

Restaurants:
Bombay Indian Grill: http://www.bombaygrill-cu.com/
Sairam Om: http://www.yelp.com/biz/sairam-om-champaign
Sambar: http://ashasambar.blogspot.com/ (http://www.yelp.com/biz/sambar-urbana)
Casablanca Kabab House (sounds Middle Eastern, but the owner is Indian and flavor is influenced by his style): http://www.yelp.com/biz/casablanca-kabab-house-champaign

Grocery:
Mirsung: http://www.mirsung.com/
World Harvest (not just Indian - a lot of international food): http://www.worldharvestfoods.com/
Annapurna: http://annapoornastores.food.officelive.com/default.aspx

I think there are a couple more restaurants that I have heard of, but can't remember the names of right now. Obviously not a gigantic selection, but there is a presence.
 
Last edited:
We lost teatime to Davis about a 1/2 hour after her last post. 🙁
But good to know about the foods.
 
We lost teatime to Davis about a 1/2 hour after her last post. 🙁
But good to know about the foods.

Thanks for the info guys! Yes, I find it odd how I heard from Davis right when I was almost resigning myself to the fact that it wasn't gonna happen for me. Sorry squib. 🙁 Still deciding huh?
 
Hey all. New to this whole forum thing, but am currently trying to decide between UPenn and Illinois, and I just have a couple questions about Illinois. How many surgeries do you perform in the core curriculum before graduating? And does the school offer any help with finding summer jobs/externships? If the answers are posted on another thread that I somehow missed, feel free to redirect me! Thanks for any help!

There's some stuff on Illinois on this thread. http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=804546
Those questions aren't asked yet but they're pretty good ones.
 
Thanks for the reply! I have been stalking that thread as well! People are coming up with tons of info here and there on both schools I'm considering, but I couldn't find the answers to those two particular questions. Appreciate your help!
 
Thanks for the reply! I have been stalking that thread as well! People are coming up with tons of info here and there on both schools I'm considering, but I couldn't find the answers to those two particular questions. Appreciate your help!

I have no idea about the number of surgeries you perform, but I do know that there are professors here that will bend over backward to help you succeed in whatever path you are pursuing. I am interested in zoo med, and I met with one professor who was AMAZINGLY helpful. If you ask for help, you will definitely get it!
 
Looks like I'm ditching you guys too. Still very, very tempted by Illinois and haven't gotten myself to officially decline the offer yet. If it weren't for the cost and distance, it would be a very impossible decision between Illinois and Davis, but my IS wins. I'm sure you will all have an awesome experience there, I'm very jealous about you having a good curriculum that is already developed. Good luck squibby and others still deciding!
 
Looks like I'm ditching you guys too. Still very, very tempted by Illinois and haven't gotten myself to officially decline the offer yet. If it weren't for the cost and distance, it would be a very impossible decision between Illinois and Davis, but my IS wins. I'm sure you will all have an awesome experience there, I'm very jealous about you having a good curriculum that is already developed. Good luck squibby and others still deciding!

👍👍👍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have no idea about the number of surgeries you perform, but I do know that there are professors here that will bend over backward to help you succeed in whatever path you are pursuing. I am interested in zoo med, and I met with one professor who was AMAZINGLY helpful. If you ask for help, you will definitely get it!

Thanks! I've heard nothing but good things about professors/TAs at Illinois, which is definitely something in my pro column...🙂
 
Guys, we just lost Tuckervet to K-State. 🙁

Good luck, girl. You'll do great!

Thanks squibby! Have you made your final decision yet??


p.s. I'm out of town right now, but I'll be sending in my official decline next week when I get home, so I hope that'll mean good news for a waitlisted SDNer!
 
Thanks squibby! Have you made your final decision yet??

Nope! Me and the wifey are flying out to Columbus next week, spending a few days there, then driving to Illinois to spend a few days there. It's only a 5 hour drive.
 
Nope! Me and the wifey are flying out to Columbus next week, spending a few days there, then driving to Illinois to spend a few days there. It's only a 5 hour drive.

Sounds like a good plan, especially since you'll get some input from your SO. 👍

I mailed out my decline today, hopefully it makes someone on the waitlist really happy!
 
Nope! Me and the wifey are flying out to Columbus next week, spending a few days there, then driving to Illinois to spend a few days there. It's only a 5 hour drive.

If you need a tour guide or just wanted to meet up for lunch or anything let me know!
 
Sad to be losing all you guys, but hope you guys are really happy =) Woulda been nice to actually have some faces to names. At least we can still complain together on here when we actually start the school part 😛
 
I am kinda debating a roommate at this point. There are so many better 2 BD apartments... anyone else looking for one? Still a little nervous since I have had bad roomies before, but I think it would be nice to have someone to study with and talk with right in my apartment with me.

Oh I just don't know wish I was more decisive. On another note here I come Rabies vaccine number 1 tomorrow. I hope I don't get a weird reaction since I have got some to other vaccines.
 
Hey all! Congrats on being accepted!
Just a heads up, my roommate and I are looking for a 3rd roommate for the house we are renting. Rent is only $420 a month + utilities.
Location is pretty close to the vet school - only a 5 minute drive or less. House has wood floors, one car garage, washer/dryer, backyard, nice kitchen and a basement with TONS of storage space!

We are both going to be 3rd years and are very laid back. Pretty quiet roommates too!

Let me know if you are interested or have any other questions!!
 
I don't know about anyone else, but I am getting pretty excited to move out there and start school! I just wanna get all the info from them. I'm assuming they're gonna send that out around April 15th when they have everyone's responses? Is anybody else as excited as I am? haha
 
Hey guys. So I will be in town Thursday afternoon through Saturday afternoon if anyone wants to get together for a meal or something.

PM me.

Does anyone have any favorite restaurants they would recommend?
 
Does anyone have any favorite restaurants they would recommend?

Dude, my wife and I went to Papa Del's Pizza...and it was AWESOME. I heard about it from a UIUC CVM alum, and man was she right. If you like pizza, you need to go there. The pizza takes 45 minutes to cook (deep-dish, their specialty), so don't wait till you're starving to go. We made that mistake.

We also hit up El Toro mexican restaurant, which was also delicious, and if you're in the mood for a Japanese steakhouse, Kamakura was really good!
 
Dude, my wife and I went to Papa Del's Pizza...and it was AWESOME.

👍 I love Del's! And a good insider's hint - if you go there at 3pm on a weekday you can get the pizza slices half off 😉 Not as good as the pizza fresh, but still nice.

Other favorites:
BBQ: Black Dog Smoke & Ale House (go early for any meal - it gets packed - order the sweet potato fries - amazing!)
Sushi: Yellowfin
Pizza: Jupiter's II (more parking and seating than Jupiter's I) - best thin crust whereas Del's has the best thick crust
Custard: Jarling's (if it is nice out - this place will be busy!)
Beer: The Blind Pig Co (I don't like beer, but this is where adults go off campus for quality brew)
Campus Bar: Murphy's (good bar food and waaaaay better - aka 'older' - crowd than most campus bars)
 
I have to go with the crowd and say Papa Del's for the win =)

I like Dp Dough for calzones

What time do you think you will be in Squibby? I would grab some lunch or dinner and chat with ya.

and vetmed I am pretty stoked too... I find myself stalking the vet med site often...

However, I am not so happy with my apartment hunt still... maybe I am just too cheap, but I went to go sign today and guy is great love the apt, second time seeing it no pet deposit, and now he is selling to another realtor that has a bad rep, but if I sign the lease with him they have to honor it, but then they take care of the building for the year... and have the discretion over my deposit. SUCKY. So now I have more to think about.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What time do you think you will be in Squibby? I would grab some lunch or dinner and chat with ya.

There are a few of us SDN'ers planning breakfast on Saturday at Le Peeps. The time isn't nailed down yet, but I'm asking everyone whether 10am works for them. I would love to meet you!
 
and vetmed I am pretty stoked too... I find myself stalking the vet med site often...

Haha-good! I'm glad I'm not the only one going crazy waiting for stuff! And sorry to hear about your housing search! That sucks!
 
Hey all. New to this whole forum thing, but am currently trying to decide between UPenn and Illinois, and I just have a couple questions about Illinois. How many surgeries do you perform in the core curriculum before graduating? And does the school offer any help with finding summer jobs/externships? If the answers are posted on another thread that I somehow missed, feel free to redirect me! Thanks for any help!

As far as how many surgeries you perform before graduation, the number varies depending on your opportunities. The only full surgeries you get to perform yourself are spays and neuters. (during 4th year rotations you assist during more advanced surgeries). I've heard in junior surgery (3rd year) its about 3 and in senior surgery (4th year) it varies (2 to 4). All of the surgery animals are shelter animals. I talked to an intern who went to vet school someplace other than Illinois where they raise animals specifically for vet students to practice on so you get to do more than spays and neuters. These are usually terminal surgeries that end in euthanizing the animal. I'm not sure if some schools still do this because it is controversial. But Illinois DOES NOT!

Also something to note. This is how many surgeries are being performed by students in the old curriculum. I don't know if it will be changed for the new curriculum. My guess it will stay close to the same number.

Also when it comes to spays and neuters, if you want to do more there are always outside of school opportunities. There is an opportunity called spay days on the weekends, and opportunities to go to developing countries to do spays and neuters.
 
Is there a FB group for our class yet?

Wifey and I were just approved to rent a house 0.8 miles from vet med! Yay!
 
Is there a FB group for our class yet?

Wifey and I were just approved to rent a house 0.8 miles from vet med! Yay!

Awesome =) I thought we lost you when I read dogisgreen's post on the other thread. I am about 2 miles away. Well I guess you have no excuses if you are late. And no facebook group yet....


However I did get to register for courses since I am a current student with enrollment options still open =) Lil benefit I guess
 
Well I guess you have no excuses if you are late.

Ha ha, and you won't as well. And maybe I can convince someone to pick up my sorry a** on the way to school on snowy mornings.

I'm nervous my acceptance postcard will get lost!

So, which classes did you register for?
 
However I did get to register for courses since I am a current student with enrollment options still open =) Lil benefit I guess

I tried registering just now and it told me that the sections are closed. This was for the really really basic VM 601 and VM 602 classes. Hmm... ah well - probably too early to worry. Not like they won't let me take the basic stuff. Yes, we'll take your money - no, you can't go to class. :laugh:

Edit: Did a class stat search and the capacity is listed as "0", so I'm guessing we aren't meant to register yet 🙂
 
Squibs are you gonna be walking most of the time? And I feared mine getting lost too, but I just checked the application site frequently and it got there =)

And I registered for the basics vm 601 and 602 and vm 642. I only attempted it and hoped that it work because I have to send a class schedule with full time hours for medical insurance. My friends say there is no true advantage and most the time the electives that fill quick aren't even open yet.

GreenMouse it's weird cause the capacity is now 0, but there are 2 registered lol. They must have caught on and closed it!
 
Wifey and I were just approved to rent a house 0.8 miles from vet med! Yay!

That's awesome, squibby! I'm looking forward to meeting all y'all! When is everyone planning on moving out there? (I guess this is more for the OOS people, haha)
 
If people are still looking for housing there are 3 rooms open in a large house about 10 minutes from the school. It's a pretty good location because it's more remote, so not loud or crowded. Large yard, living room, kitchen, garage. It is the OTS house (vet frat). They use the house once a month for meetings, but you don't have to be in OTS to live in! If interested PM me.
 
That's awesome, squibby! I'm looking forward to meeting all y'all! When is everyone planning on moving out there? (I guess this is more for the OOS people, haha)

Well, it looks like we can't move into our place until Aug. 8th. I was hoping it would be sooner, but oh well.

Nothing starts at the school until Aug 22, right?
 
Well, it looks like we can't move into our place until Aug. 8th. I was hoping it would be sooner, but oh well.

Nothing starts at the school until Aug 22, right?

I thought orientation stuff started on August 15? Or maybe I misunderstood and that's what the undergrads move in. I thought there was a bunch of stuff we had to do before classes started, though.
 
I thought orientation stuff started on August 15? Or maybe I misunderstood and that's what the undergrads move in. I thought there was a bunch of stuff we had to do before classes started, though.

Yep you guys will have orientation probably starting the Wednesday before classes. There's also some random things you have to get done in that week before then like I.D. cards and your vet med badges woo!
 
I thought orientation stuff started on August 15? Or maybe I misunderstood and that's what the undergrads move in. I thought there was a bunch of stuff we had to do before classes started, though.

Yep you guys will have orientation probably starting the Wednesday before classes. There's also some random things you have to get done in that week before then like I.D. cards and your vet med badges woo!

Crap. Not good when our lease starts at the earliest on the 8th of August.
 
Well, it looks like we can't move into our place until Aug. 8th. I was hoping it would be sooner, but oh well.

Nothing starts at the school until Aug 22, right?

Crap. Not good when our lease starts at the earliest on the 8th of August.

You should be fine I think. You'll prolly have a week to settle in and everything. We're trying to move out there around the 1st, and our stuff probably isn't gonna get there for a few days after that.

Squibby, if you guys need any help moving in, let me know!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am moving in on the 10th by choice. You will be fine with getting everything done. I have an ID and all that good stuff being here, but if you guys need help with anything let me know. Just no unpacking lol I set my limits there I live out of boxes because of the few things in this world that I actually loathe it is unpacking and packing. I can provide good conversation, tours, advice about the town anything in the world just not that. Be nice to finally meet you all 😀

Oh and got the first rabies vaccine. Didn't even feel it. Totally psyched myself out... Was a walk in the park (except it was 180 bucks outta my bank account)... On the other hand Gardasil shots made me wish I was a boy.
 
Squibby, if you guys need any help moving in, let me know!

Thanks!

I am moving in on the 10th by choice. You will be fine with getting everything done. I have an ID and all that good stuff being here, but if you guys need help with anything let me know. Just no unpacking lol I set my limits there I live out of boxes because of the few things in this world that I actually loathe it is unpacking and packing. I can provide good conversation, tours, advice about the town anything in the world just not that. Be nice to finally meet you all 😀

Oh and got the first rabies vaccine. Didn't even feel it. Totally psyched myself out... Was a walk in the park (except it was 180 bucks outta my bank account)... On the other hand Gardasil shots made me wish I was a boy.

lol, how about a lunch or dinner date?

Do any of you know when the 2nd and 3rd years start in August?
 
I would def. be up for one of those! We should all decide on a day a little bit after we move in and get settled. I'm looking forward to putting faces to screen names!


I second this 👍

Will be nice to see you guys and know more people. Maybe even escape the "cliquey" people that will be attending from here
 
2nd and 3rd years will start at the same time as 1st years. We do have a big sib bar crawl during orientation, so get excited for that! I'm sure you will get tons more info after April 15th.