Illinois c/o 2015 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
2nd and 3rd years will start at the same time as 1st years. We do have a big sib bar crawl during orientation, so get excited for that! I'm sure you will get tons more info after April 15th.

Ooh boy, I can't wait to get more info on everything!

I've never done a pub crawl, (does that make me a dork?). I'm a cheap date and I'm sure I would get completely sloshed!

Members don't see this ad.

I've never done a pub crawl, (does that make me a dork?). I'm a cheap date and I'm sure I would get completely sloshed!

I check the "new student info" page from last year daily hoping for updates. Can't wait!

The only bar crawl I've been on was with the computer science department :p It was a wonderfully geeky time! Really excited for the vet school one!

Total nerd.....oh wait...all vet students are nerdy. The idea is definitely to get completely sloshed (if all goes well).

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay, my status changed today! They got my postcard.

can anyone confirm the breakdown of federal Stafford subsidized and non-subsidized and Grad plus maximum loan limits and loan rates?

Stafford subsidized: $8,500 (rate ?)
Stafford unsubsidized: $12,000 (rate ?)
Grad plus: ? (rate ?)
Total maximum limit: $40,500

http://www.osfa.illinois.edu/aid/loans/fd_max.html
http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/studentloans.jsp
also, the loan rates seem to be off? the website says 6.8% for stafford and 7.9% for grad plus, but i remember its 6.9% for stafford and nearly 10% for grad plus. even the FAFSA website says 6.8% and 7.9%, so that's weird.

Last edited:
Everything below I got from the student aid government website. Not sure about the rate discrepancies that you saw.

Stafford subsidized: max is $8,500 but the amount you are given depends on need. Rate is 6.8% fixed.
Stafford unsubsidized: max $20,500 (including subsidized). Also 6.8% fixed rate.

Total possible aggregate of Stafford loans ever: $138,500—No more than $65,500 of this amount may be in subsidized loans. The graduate debt limit includes Stafford Loans received for undergraduate study.
http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/studentloans.jsp#02

Grad PLUS: max is cost of attendance (determined by the school) minus any other financial assistance you will receive. Rate is 7.9% fixed.
http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/PlusLoansGradProfstudents.jsp

Best bet would be to call the financial aid office, though.
http://www.osfa.uiuc.edu/

thanks Greenmouse! looks like i got the total max loans mixed up.

yea, i emailed the fin aid office about discrepancies, no response yet. i figured that the fafsa website and fin aid office can't both be wrong about loan rate sat this time of the year.

oh and does anyone know the bus routes and stuff? according to the MTD website, silver is pretty much the only bus that goes to vet med, but it snakes through the main campus. that seems like a pretty inefficient bus to take...anyone got pointers?

oh and does anyone know the bus routes and stuff? according to the MTD website, silver is pretty much the only bus that goes to vet med, but it snakes through the main campus. that seems like a pretty inefficient bus to take...anyone got pointers?
The silver is the only one that goes directly to campus, but there are places it can drop you off and you can take other buses to other parts of campus or town. everything is pretty close here, and the bus system here is incredibly efficient-I have lived just fine the last year w/out a car and just using the bus and my bike.

Members don't see this ad :)
The silver is the only one that goes directly to campus, but there are places it can drop you off and you can take other buses to other parts of campus or town. everything is pretty close here, and the bus system here is incredibly efficient-I have lived just fine the last year w/out a car and just using the bus and my bike.

do you mind telling me what routes you took/currently take (starting from your house and any transfers to silver) and how long it takes for you to get to school (from leaving the house to arriving the classroom)? i know there's a trip planner on the MDS website, just want to hear an actual example.

im considering maybe doing away with my car, but if my "wake up from bed" to "arrive classroom time" becomes too long...maybe not.

Last edited:
Sweet! Can you send a link or it's name? I can't seem to find it...

I can't send a link, but here's the name: "University of Illinois School of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2015!"

However, it appears as though the school will be creating an "official" one and emailing a link to all of us. So, this one is a little premature.

do you mind telling me what routes you took/currently take (starting from your house and any transfers to silver) and how long it takes for you to get to school (from leaving the house to arriving the classroom)? i know there's a trip planner on the MDS website, just want to hear an actual example.

im considering maybe doing away with my car, but if my "wake up from bed" to "arrive classroom time" becomes too long...maybe not.

So there are tons of buses. Just depends on where you want to go. I think it depends on the person you are if you can acclimate to them. I love taking the campus buses now, but using them for the grocery store was a drag just because they take awhile, you can't buy more than you can carry on and off, and I get motion sickness. However, you can pretty much get anywhere you need to. However I am known for being late so my car will be here with me next year. With undergrad I did fine with the buses because I was on campus, but off campus it just isn't for me to rely on the bus.

is school or street parking hard to find?

is school or street parking hard to find?

So most people get a parking pass for the vet school. I think its 480 for the academic yr. As for parking like with your apartment it varies. Parking is usually free or included when you are off campus, but closer to campus or certain landlords charge around 60 a month. Everything else is meter based or city parking and the meter maids are brutal here.

So most people get a parking pass for the vet school. I think its 480 for the academic yr. As for parking like with your apartment it varies. Parking is usually free or included when you are off campus, but closer to campus or certain landlords charge around 60 a month. Everything else is meter based or city parking and the meter maids are brutal here.

oh sorry, what i meant was, if you buy a vet school parking pass, would you be able to find decent parking easily during peak hours at the vet school?

i actually live in a graduate housing complex that is a 10 minute walk to school. i dont take the bus, sometimes i will ride my bike over and that takes all of 5 minutes. the *only* bus that goes straight to vet med is the 13 silver-i'll take that from school, to the gym, then back, which is pretty convenient and awesome. as far as someone taking the bus to school from where they live...i wouldn't know how long that takes.

btw-i live in Orchard Downs-it's not popular with most of the vet med kids because they don't allow pets. my pets are with my husband, so the convenience of the location was way worth it to me.

oh sorry, what i meant was, if you buy a vet school parking pass, would you be able to find decent parking easily during peak hours at the vet school?

yep its a pretty big parking lot I don't think I have ever heard of anyone having a problem. you prob just get stuck a lil farther away from the school... but the lot is right next to the school.... so really it's not gonna matter.

i actually live in a graduate housing complex that is a 10 minute walk to school.

The house I am renting is like across the street from you! Is it reasonable for me to assume that I will be able to bike or walk to school without the weather preventing me from doing so?

The house I am renting is like across the street from you! Is it reasonable for me to assume that I will be able to bike or walk to school without the weather preventing me from doing so?
are you around Race and George Huff? then-yes, you can absolutely walk. it's def. a bit harder when the snow hits...but for most of the year you can!

Just declined my OOS spot, got the phone call from Auburn (much closer to home). Good luck to everyone still waiting!

just found out that tuition is due sept 28th (fall) and feb 28th (spring); that's more than a month after the first day of each semester

Last edited:
just found out that tuition is due sept 28th (fall) and feb 28th (spring); that's more than a month after the first day of each semester

That's weird.

Looks like the official FB group is up, though they haven't started approving requests to join yet. Search for: "Illinois Veterinary Class of 2015"

So since Illinois has a blue coat ceremony, who coats you? Like are you able to ask a vet that you have worked with or is not similar to a white coat ceremony?

Yeah, not sure why they make it due so late, but I don't complain :) Maybe to lessen their paperwork if people drop?

Well at least we get our loan checks 7-10 days before classes start. :)

Well at least we get our loan checks 7-10 days before classes start. :)

That's if you fill out all their additional papers to key. I always seem to get "audited." I guess I do have a weird family make-up (divorces, separations, custody, weird tax filing), but after 4 years I would think they would just say hey let the girl go, so we do not have to hear her weird family history, but maybe they like it cause it makes them feel normal :p

If you have any troubles Jennifer Lyn Erickson I believe is her name and was a super blessing at the financial aid office.

That's if you fill out all their additional papers to key. I always seem to get "audited." I guess I do have a weird family make-up (divorces, separations, custody, weird tax filing), but after 4 years I would think they would just say hey let the girl go, so we do not have to hear her weird family history, but maybe they like it cause it makes them feel normal :p

If you have any troubles Jennifer Lyn Erickson I believe is her name and was a super blessing at the financial aid office.

Thanks for the contact. Hopefully I won't need it. They requested my tax return already and I sent it to them last week. It was just a 1040EZ. Hopefully they can get it figured out in 3 months. :rolleyes:

i never did the fin aid thing before...

i sent in my fafsa before the "priority" deadline and haven't heard anything (requests for documents or anything like that). are we supposed to expect our fin aid offers in the May mail package or what?

are we supposed to expect our fin aid offers in the May mail package or what?

I went to the financial aid office after submitting my FAFSA and they told me that the award letters will be sent sometime in the summer. They didn't have many more specifics than that. I wouldn't expect it in May, though.

i never did the fin aid thing before...

i sent in my fafsa before the "priority" deadline and haven't heard anything (requests for documents or anything like that). are we supposed to expect our fin aid offers in the May mail package or what?

Usually in the summer they send other forms that need to be verified and you must always send your taxes for them to review. It depends on your circumstances and how easy your finance life is for them to get your package ready. If you are straight cut, not using your parents info, married, stuff like that... you will probably get it late july. I always seem to receive mine right before classes and 50 verifications later. If you have access to the UIUC enterprise site the requirements are listed in there, if not they will send it to you, or just give them a call.

Soooooo....I'm kind of excited and bummed at the same time right now. I got an email from the financial aid office saying that my award letter is available, and I can access it with my NetID and stuff. HOWEVER, apparently, that is included in my admission packet.......WHERE IS THAT??? I want it now so I can move forward, dammit!

Also, I like how they sent the email at the VERY end of the day on FRIDAY, so they don't have to be bothered by **** tons of calls/emails from people like me until Monday. Haha.

Woohoooooo our official facebook group has finally accepted friend requests, but boo to the fact that we still will not be getting any material for orientation in the mail for weeks to come

Woohoooooo our official facebook group has finally accepted friend requests, but boo to the fact that we still will not be getting any material for orientation in the mail for weeks to come

I know right?? I was annoyed too that we have to wait even LONGER! Haven't we done our time with waiting? At least now we have a source of some type of information!

Is anyone thinking about doing a dual DVM/MPH degree? I seen it and I am not sure if I am understanding it right, but you get your DVM in the first four years and then finish up with the 21 hours at UIC and can practice... Since my job would be around the Chicago region this would really work for me. I just wonder if there are some parts I am missing.

Last edited:
Wait, I kinda lie...not all of it has been updated. :(

Haha, yea I saw that it was updated, got excited, then scrolled down to see that they were literally in the middle of updating it. It's like it got posted b mistake!

Also, I see that June 15th deadline...and that announcement from the "Official" fb group that we won't get our packets for a few weeks. We better get them soon so we can meet that short deadline!!

Hello everyone, just wanted to say congrats and welcome to our school!! Can't wait to meet all of you! :D I can't believe it's been a year since I was in the same position you are, I know I'm late to the game but thought I'd join in anyway.

Hmmmm... Blue coat ceremony is making me think too much! Only 3 guests... AHHH my parents would like to be there who both have remarried... well how do I do that one! Well if anyone ends up having a spare opening you can save my deciding!

And now lab coat sizes.... I have no idea how to judge that? Should be simple right? Hah!