Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Good luck to everyone today! :D:luck:

Members don't see this ad.

I hope everybody had a good time.

I'm sorry I couldn't go looking for people, because I had to get to work.

I really enjoyed the school! Anyone know how soon we'll hear about their decisions?

Members don't see this ad :)
Dr. Foreman said around the 6th of March, but he said it would more than likely be sooner.

Mary Kelm also said that the status page would be changing on the day the mailings go out.
So, I guess, it's sometime next week or over the weekend of the 7th.

Last edited:
Had a great time today. The interview was much more laid back than I was prepared for. So excited for the new curriculum and going straight to clinicals!

:xf:

Had a great time today. The interview was much more laid back than I was prepared for. So excited for the new curriculum and going straight to clinicals!

:xf:

The clinics thing would be a might scary. I'm sure those blue coats would be coming in handy.

Didn't meet any SDNers, but chatted with some other cool people. XD I had a good time and I agree, the interview was very "user-friendly" in my opinion. I at least enjoyed the more laidback questions. But...time to fill out the interview feedback page! :)

My lucky pen died, so I had to borrow one from the ladies in the admissions office. I had it filled out soon after the info session.

Wow I'm definitely talked out after this weekend of Minnesota and Illinois. There was a definite pre-vet crew I enjoyed talking to throughout our various flights and hotel stays and tours! Wonder if any of you guys are on here...

Anyone else gonna be obsessively checking their status page. Not quite sure how my interview went, Im always uncertain coming out of it. Thankfully I have Minnesota Saturday and Davis interviews monday to keep me slightly preoccupied.

wait... what status page are you looking at? the "2009 applicant status?" where would it say our admissions decision? and did they say they'd update that or are we just supposed to wait for the mail? AAAAAAH.

Yep, the status page will be updated when the letters are sent out. :D

I'll start checking mine on Friday, I think. I felt like my interview was really short and that I wasn't as articulate as I could have been, but I have a general good feeling about it. My interviewers were really, really nice, though I never am able to remember their names because I'm so nervous.

And I loved the school's atmosphere! All of the other applicants I met were really nice and I was pleasantly surprised by the number of faculty members, interviewees and even a mom that wished me good luck as I was sitting awkwardly in the hallway.

Ah, I love the Midwest. <3

I'm gonna make a huge attempt to only check it once a day starting Friday its wayyyy to difficult to keep myself from checking it though but I'm only home for two days and on top of everything thats due/midterms I have stuff from the last 3 days to make up....

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't you just love the midwest?
We're nice, and we mean it.

its too late for me.. im a lost cause and have gone to the incredibly compulsive checker side. i already put the UIUC and the Tufts links as quick links in my firefox so i can just click on them and check whenever... SO unhealthy!

Just to be crystal clear, though...the status page won't tell us whether we've actually been accepted or not, just whether we should expect something in the mail. Right??

Hi everybody, I have been following this thread but Im the type that never says anything. I know, creepy:cool:. Anyway I had a good time at the interview day on mon. IL is my IS and I have been denied from all but two of my schools. I was kind of down on IL for some reason but got really excited about it on mon!
I also ran and checked my status page today but i do not see where they would post anything about acceptance or even a decision being made. Does anyone know where they would post it?

Don't you just love the midwest?
We're nice, and we mean it.

I was just telling my friend today how I remember a random person wishing me luck as I waited for my Illinois interview last year and how nice that was. Good luck everyone!

Truth-- Merry Ann's was amazing! Thank you!!

I had a pretty good time at UIUC but my tour was kinda short :(, I did fall in love with that big anatomy lab, though! And we spent some time exploring some of the local parks including a random sculpture garden park where we bumped into (almost literally) a family of mule deer :eek:.

I think the interview went okay?! I thought the questions were much more interesting and challenging (in a good way) to answer than the questions I was asked at Iowa. I did really like my interviewers and definitely felt at ease talking to them.

Anyway, on to the waiting! There was a rumor in the morning that letters were going out on Friday? Did anyone else hear that, or was I just hallucinating!?

Truth-- Merry Ann's was amazing! Thank you!!

I had a pretty good time at UIUC but my tour was kinda short :(, I did fall in love with that big anatomy lab, though! And we spent some time exploring some of the local parks including a random sculpture garden park where we bumped into (almost literally) a family of mule deer :eek:.

I think the interview went okay?! I thought the questions were much more interesting and challenging (in a good way) to answer than the questions I was asked at Iowa. I did really like my interviewers and definitely felt at ease talking to them.

Anyway, on to the waiting! There was a rumor in the morning that letters were going out on Friday? Did anyone else hear that, or was I just hallucinating!?

I'm so glad you liked Merry Ann's! :love:
It's one of the places that's still open when I get off of work. Short stacks...*drool*

Yeah, Mary Kelm said the same thing about Friday. I think they might mail on Friday, but updates may not happen until Monday. I think it also depends on if we have news on the curriculum change to add to the information. And... how fast Dr. Foreman can sign his signature.

Did you get the impression that Dr. Foreman is trying to get everybody to switch to equine? I don't need much shoving in that direction.

Did you get the impression that Dr. Foreman is trying to get everybody to switch to equine? I don't need much shoving in that direction.

hehe, I was one of the five people who raised their hands for equine, wooo horsies!

Dr. Foreman was hilarious! I think his equine banter was just in good humor to ease our anxiety. I thought my interview went very well; my interviewers seemed like they were trying to convince me why I should come to Illinois. I'm looking forward to hearing!

As a sidenote, during the tour my mom was trying to pet a mare who had just given birth (stupidly) and the horse bit her :laugh: Not a hard bite, but it was still pretty funny. So much for my mom being on her best behavior.

Just to let ya'll know, they finished making final choices today. They should get the letters out by Monday (per Mary). Good luck!:luck:

Just to let ya'll know, they finished making final choices today. They should get the letters out by Monday (per Mary). Good luck!:luck:

Yay for a fast turn-around time, I love it! Well... hopefully I'll love it come Monday.

And I don't know about you guys, but it sure is hard for me to force myself not to do things too soon, like everything from getting my hopes up to buying college sweatshirts!

Good luck everyone.

Well....

We'll know either way. :whistle::xf::confused:

At this point, I'm not keeping my hopes up. I've been this far before, and waitlisted. That's the kiss of death for an IS.

I had a good time at the interview. I was more relaxed. I felt like I thought of so much more to say, the second I got out of the room, but that's how things go.

Good luck :luck: everybody.

P.S. Yes, I'm being pessimistic to save myself if I don't get in.

eeek!!! so they'll mail it on monday meaning we'll get it sometime next week? and did they say anything about when the status page would change and if it'd say accepted and stuff? (yah i don't know where they'd say it either..)

Oh dear...letters for sure by Monday? Means I should get it Tues/Wed next week. Fun times, though I will be sad that my application season will be officially over then. :(

I'm not getting my hopes up though. If I get waitlisted, I will be ecstatic. Heck, I was happy to have the opportunity to interview there, especially after seeing the OOS stats presented.

:luck: to everyone. I'm rooting for you all as much as I'm rooting for myself.

Monday? That's really fast! What is the OOS stats this year?

I always have a slow reaction time for questions, so when I think of things that would make my answer stronger/more complete, it's 10 minutes after I gave my answer.....I am not too satisfied with how I did, but I am crossing my fingers.

Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
eeek!!! so they'll mail it on monday meaning we'll get it sometime next week? and did they say anything about when the status page would change and if it'd say accepted and stuff? (yah i don't know where they'd say it either..)

You know, it's weird...So going off of how they did things last year, I was waitlisted last year, but they never updated my status page then, so I don't know if they even do it. Or maybe they just update the page for those that were accepted?

Either way, I'll start compulsively checking it on Friday lol

I think we're all just trying to be patient...or sitting at our mailboxes. :D

You know, it's weird...So going off of how they did things last year, I was waitlisted last year, but they never updated my status page then, so I don't know if they even do it. Or maybe they just update the page for those that were accepted?

Either way, I'll start compulsively checking it on Friday lol
I called the admissions office, and someone told me that they WOULD be changing the status page, but just not at the same time as when they mail out letters. So...I dunno if that means before or after. XD But, something will change on there, eventually, and I'm assuming it is only for those accepted if nothing had changed on your page last year.

Only a few more days, and then I can either relax, or freak out more. :oops:

Well, it goes without saying...first person to get either a status page change or something in the mail...please let the rest of us know! :D

Good luck everyone! I ended up declining my Illinois interview, so I hope all you SDNers benefit from the increased odds of admission! :p ;)

Maybe it's the transcript verification section of the status page that will change? Such as from "pending" to "yes" or "no"? Or still "pending" if you're on the waitlist?

I shouldn't try to read their minds or figure anything out. When I try to do that it seems to end with me burning rejection letters in my backyard while roasting marshmallows. :p

So, back to stalking the status page and mailbox.

No status page changes over the weekend, so let people know if you get an envelope in the mail.

I decided not to post my interview feedback because I noticed that all the other folks were asked the exact same questions! What did you guys think of your interviews/interviewers anyway? Just trying to get our minds off of the impending decisions. :p

I really liked my interviewers. Dr. Wallig was really nice and I could see him smiling even when they were supposed to oh-so-tough. I liked the SA vet from the Chicago suburb and the fourth year female student as well, but I couldn't find them via the faculty page so I don't know their names. Nerves make names go in one of my ears and out the other.

My interview...well, I feel less confident about it than I did about my K-State one. I wasn't very articulate and I spoke without thinking my answer all the way through a couple of times. I also speak with my hands a lot with pretty sweeping gestures and it was once again difficult to keep that relatively in check. I did have a repeat question (the cheating one), so it was nice to have an answer already in my head.

At least the chairs in my room were stationary and not spinny like the K-State ones so I couldn't swing from side to side. And I didn't get the tiny room (2517) across the hall from the room I was interviewed in. That room was creepy, all white and small. I would have probably been about 1000x as nervous as I was had I been in there.

But, I'm expecting a rejection or a waitlist position -- there were a lot of damn good candidates there and like I said before, I was just excited to get the chance to interview there.

I spent a lot of time wondering if anyone I talked to was on SDN. And I considered writing my handle on my namebadge after my interview, but I didn't. :D

And I'm not going to worry about checking my mailbox/status page until the IL residents hear. I'm taking a calm weekend, studying for my A&P test, and not scaring the crap out of the kids who are doing mail at my residence hall. Because I did that when I got my interview invite. :oops:

I also speak with my hands a lot with pretty sweeping gestures and it was once again difficult to keep that relatively in check.

Hahaha, I have that same problem! I kept my hands clasped in my lap the whole time to avoid it, although my boyfriend said that hand gestures can be good to an extent because they show passion, perhaps? Oh well. I felt like my interviewer (Dr. Firkins) was trying to convince me why I should come to Illinois, and I felt comfortable asking serious questions about the new curriculum and his opinion on it.

I feel like I've gained many useful interview skills from this application process, and whatever happens I will view it as a good experience.

Do you think the interview panels go back and read app. files after the interviews? I was a bit nervous about this, because I used a story I had related in my PS for one of the interview questions. As I was telling it my I saw the statement in my head and recited it almost verbatim! I couldn't stop myself!

Anyway I would guess this isn't the case, since the interviews are back to back. It's not like they remember every word you say and then compare it to your PS. I think as more time passes I'm just getting more critical of my performance and am probably WAY overanalyzing this...

Lunazzura, the interview panel puts there scoring together exclusively on the interview.

Good luck!

I know I said I would wait but I was disappointed when there was nothing new in my mailbox or on my status page today. :(

But hopefully they got everything mailed out today so we'll know very soon!

:luck::luck: to everyone!

Apparently they were mailed out today, so we should hear from them really soon. Sooo nervous!! :scared:

oh gosh i think i might pee in my pants. ive been so frustrated at my school b/c i always get this feeling of trepidation when i see a piece of mail in my box.. but then its some stupid letter from my college about graduation. AAAAAH! i hope they were mailed early enough to get them by tomorrow!!

I think us Illinois residents should get something either tomorrow or Wed. But dear god, I hope it's tomorrow because I am acting like a little child. I seriously can't wait. :laugh:

Or rather, it's like Christmas Eve and Christmas Day keeps getting rescheduled. XD Each night I wait in anticipation. (um, wow, this is getting pathetic. Ignore me!):oops:

So I have to share what happened to me today at work.

I was putting in a catheter and having a hard time. One of the receptionists calls over the intercom that I have a call on line whatever. One of the Doctors saw I couldn’t get to the phone and said she would call the receptionist and tell her I couldn’t get the call. I made a joke that unless it is UofI I was unavailable. So the Dr calls back, and then goes totally white, she turns to me and says... "This is not a joke it is actual Dr (So and So) from UofI!!!!" :scared: I froze for a brief second. I had a moment of thinking oh my god I got in. Then I remembered I had called on Fri. about an oncology consult and they were just returning my call!!! What a let down. But then we all burst into laughter.:laugh:

That's crazy!! :laugh:

Does anybody know if they successfully voted to pass the new curriculum or not?

So I wonder how long it takes a piece of mail to get from Illinois to California, I should have mailed a test run when I was back there so I knew when exactly to start stalking the mailman