Illinois

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm staying at the Holiday Inn Hotel and Convention Center, after I fly into Willard. It's about 3 miles away from the vet school, so I'm going to risk looking like a fool and try to use the bus system.

My interview is at 8:00AM --- the first slot...I'm still undecided if that's a good thing or a bad thing.:confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
My interview is at 10:30 and I'm staying at a B&B so I can get a proper breakfast. :)

Thanks Truth74, very helpful! My interview isn't till 2pm. The person I'm staying with will be helping out with the interview day so I'll probably just tag along with her all day.

Members don't see this ad :)
I live here, so there's no hotel for me.

I'll be interviewing in the morning and at the info session in the afternoon. I won't be tagging in on the tour this year. I answered a bunch of questions, before the guide could, last time. :rolleyes:

I got my letter from Illinois this weekend... my interview is at 4:00pm, last slot of the day woohoo. Haha. When I interviewed at Iowa I had the 8:00am interview, and I don't remember who posted that above, but I was pretty worried about having the first slot, but it actually ended up being pretty good, just because you're not awake for long waiting and getting nervous, and then you're done with it early and can enjoy the rest of your day. Now, on the other hand, I'm concerned about having the last interview of the day :p. Interviewers will be tired and sick of interviewing I'm sure, and that's a long day. But we'll see. I'll get to experience both ends of the spectrum!

I got my letter from Illinois this weekend... my interview is at 4:00pm, last slot of the day woohoo. Haha. When I interviewed at Iowa I had the 8:00am interview, and I don't remember who posted that above, but I was pretty worried about having the first slot, but it actually ended up being pretty good, just because you're not awake for long waiting and getting nervous, and then you're done with it early and can enjoy the rest of your day. Now, on the other hand, I'm concerned about having the last interview of the day :p. Interviewers will be tired and sick of interviewing I'm sure, and that's a long day. But we'll see. I'll get to experience both ends of the spectrum!

I'm interviewing at 4:00 also, guess it's going to be a long day!

I'm so glad my interview is at 11. If it was any later, I'd be nothing but a ball of nerves. How does everybody else feel about it being a closed interview? Part of me is relieved that we're all on a level playing field, but the other part is apprehensive about introducing all sorts of topics that were on my application.

I'm so glad my interview is at 11. If it was any later, I'd be nothing but a ball of nerves. How does everybody else feel about it being a closed interview?

Ninnerfish-- mine is at 11:30 and I'm happy about the time... I can sleep in a little, have some time to view the school, get interviewed, and get outta there!

Also, I'm staying at "the I" conference center, again, haha I picked the one I could find that was closest to the school (and my friend stayed there last year and gave it an ok review).

As for the closed file interview, it was the same way at Iowa State and I kind of liked it. I guess the hardest thing was picking what topics to focus on when I introduced myself (as a slightly non-trad with a random history I didn't want to spend half an hour saying everything I'd ever done). So I just said a few sentences, and was able to introduce and further describe other activities and experiences I'd had in my life as the interview went on. It also meant I didn't get asked anything awkward about my app, which I appreciated.

It's just a shame there's not more UIUC Interview Feedback from last year :( I want questions to practice!

I just booked my travel stuff and I'd just thought I'd let you other OOSers know what's up. I decided it was too expensive/too many flights/too much time to fly into Willard so I have been pouring over options on how to get from Chicago to Champaign.

What I plan on doing is taking an Amtrak train from downtown Chicago to Champaign. It only runs about 3 times a day but it was the cheapest thing I found ($13 each way + AAA discount, though one of the times was $35). This also requires taking the subway from the airport into downtown and then walking a few blocks to Union Station. Anywho, that's what I'm doing, just thought I'd put that out there for anyone else who is trying to figure it out! Happy to give more details if anyone is interested.

You might want to check and see if there is a tunnel or walkway from Clinton Station to Union Station. That way you don't have to go the entire 3 blocks outside. I seem to remember a tunnel, but I don't remember what street it was on. It was also several years ago, so they might have shut that one down.

My interview is at 8:00AM --- the first slot...I'm still undecided if that's a good thing or a bad thing.:confused:

My interview is at 8:30 am! I hope it is a good thing... :rolleyes:

My interview is at 3:30pm. I have a lab class from 12-3pm but I'll pull out early. When we get closer to the interview date, if anyone wants to send me a private message we can say what we'll be wearing so I can put faces to names! Good luck in your preparations!

I'm one of those unlucky lucky ones who got an interview at Minnesota... followed directly by one in Illinois. If anyone is interested, I will be renting a car and driving from Chicago to Champaign-Urbana Feb 22 and driving back Feb 23. I wouldn't mind driving other people if we can split the costs. I'm doing something similar in Minnesota too.

At any rate, I'm hoping the weather takes it easy on all of us travelers! :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
20 days and counting 'til interview day.
The temp today was 9 degrees. It's supposed to be in the 50's by Saturday.

It's actually typical for this time of year.

Are there cabs available in the area? I'm flying into Willard and am not planning on renting a car (4 interviews in 10 days is taking a bit of a toll on the finances, lol!) so I guess I'd need a cab both from the airport to my hotel and then from my hotel to the campus. That shouldn't be a problem, right?

I'm staying at the Holiday Inn if anyone wants to share a cab in the morning! My interview is first thing, so I'll have to get over there kind of early :)

Got an email yesterday from admissions saying my fall transcripts weren't in -- freaked me out! Luckily it had just gotten misfiled, but the whole thought of 'oh my God, they're not going to let me interview' flashed through my head!

I'm staying at the Holiday Inn too, Ben and Me. I'm probably going to use the shuttle they have available from Willard, but I might still change my mind. I'm sure the airport will have information on it somewhere.

I was all gung-ho about taking the bus to the interview, but the more I think about it, the more I realize that might be an adventure I want to embark on after the interview, rather than before. And to minimize the amount of standing I have to do in heels/suit.

So, if your interview is of the 8AM variety, I'd be more than willing to share a cab from the hotel to the school. I'm very small, so I don't take up too much room either! :D

Though the Holiday Inn is off of Lincoln and the Vet School is off of Lincoln, you will have to make a transfer to get to and from there. I think it's the SILVER to the SCAMP, RED, or QUAD to get there, and the SCAMP to the SILVER to get back. The transfer is either on Wright street or in front of the Illini Union.

Yeah, it's pretty easy to bus from there (I do it every day!). Silver to the Union, pick up the SCAMP, it ends at vet-med. The hotel should have bus schedules at the desk, and the drivers will help you too (especially if you're polite). Similarly, you could get from Willard to the Union and then your hotel with only one bus switch too, depending on time of day. The bus site is CUMTD.com (seriously, seems like they could have tried for a better acronym). Let me or another UofI-er know if you need help navigating the bus system.

Just bumping up the thread.

We have a few weeks left until the interview day.

The current temp is in the high 50's. We'll be back down to the 30's and 40's by the weekend. The weather fluctuates like this every year. I'm hoping we don't get snowed in, again, the day after interviews.

For those of you who are interviewing at UIUC for the 2nd (or more) time, would you mind sharing what feedback you got on your interview after you were waitlisted?

10 days to go.

The average for the 23rd of February is a high of 40°F and a low of 24°F. The week before this date looks like we'll be right in that mid range.

RECORDS
Hi 65°F
Lo -4°F

I'm very thankful that we are no where near the record low this year.

As for feedback for the interview. They don't give specific feedback on specific questions that I answered. They give you the score, and mine was horribly low. Apparently, I don't like talking about myself. :rolleyes:

lunazzurra:
They will give you instructions on how to do better next time. Because this is a behavioral interview, I can only tell you to look through example questions (posted elsewhere on several different threads) and follow the format recommended by the school.

Let's cross our fingers for no snowstorms!

hey does anyone know the proportion of IS and OOS for the 300 interviewing? I'm IS in IL

The ratio is usually 60% IS - 40% OOS out of the 300, but some people decline interviews at the last minute, and it ends up as around 270 or so. There are usually 25 seats for OOS out of the 120 offered, and the OOS waitlist moves very briskly after the mid April deadline, so keep that in mind.

thanks! man those IS odds are much more encouraging than the OOS odds im looking at for WI and Miss St!

I am doing the same as incendium04, driving from O'Hare airport on Feb 22 and going back on Feb 23 right after my interview at 1. If I had seen your post earlier, incendium04, I would not have reserved that car rental....'Cause I am not all that comfortable driving at a place I've never been to in my life. I've also never seen snow in my life, so I really hope it won't snow those two days! Good luck to all interviewees!

I am doing the same as incendium04, driving from O'Hare airport on Feb 22 and going back on Feb 23 right after my interview at 1. If I had seen your post earlier, incendium04, I would not have reserved that car rental....'Cause I am not all that comfortable driving at a place I've never been to in my life. I've also never seen snow in my life, so I really hope it won't snow those two days! Good luck to all interviewees!

Winddolphin, in my experience car rentals usually don't have a cancellation fee. If you are still interested in carpooling, I wouldn't mind cancelling my car rental and driving you :D Or vice versa! I like driving and I have driven in the snow/new places in the past (this whole interviewing thing is eye-opening in a lot of ways!). I come into O'Hare around noon Feb 22 and leave Feb 23 around 5pm (but I plan on leaving Champaign early afternoon).

6 days to go!

The current forecast for the 23rd is partly cloudy with a high of 36° and a low of 27°. It's supposed to be partly cloudy the day before and the day after, so a low probability of precipitation for the OOS people.

If you don't have thermals and a good coat, you need them.

anyone else nervous for behavior interviews??!

Yes! I definitely haven't had anything interesting happen in my life to draw upon. :laugh:

Truth--

About how long do the tours take and how much of them take place outdoors? I am trying to decide on shoes/coat etc.

Also, I forgot to send in my box-lunch form so I'll have to eat somewhere else... Any recommendations for a delicious lunch nearby the school, that an out-of-towner can find easily??

Cheers!

Truth--

About how long do the tours take and how much of them take place outdoors? I am trying to decide on shoes/coat etc.

Also, I forgot to send in my box-lunch form so I'll have to eat somewhere else... Any recommendations for a delicious lunch nearby the school, that an out-of-towner can find easily??

Cheers!

Hey there starlene45, believe me when I say you aren't missing much with the box lunch.

Illinois is very flat and the wind just gusts on through. The vet med campus has a berm that directs that wind right through the parking lot. I know in other places there are hills and stuff to slow down the wind. When it's around freezing here, there's still the wind to consider. That's why I recommended thermals. I know I want to look nice. Hopefully, my thermals will fit under my suit and not make strange things happen to my hindquarters... maybe not. :rolleyes: I just want you guys to be aware of the way the weather is, here. I miss last weeks 50 degree weather.

If you get a good tour guide, it'll take about 45 minutes with the outside portion being about 1 of those minutes. They start in the basic sciences building atrium and work their way around and down. If they take the usual route for the tour, It's a walk through the hall with the pictures of the alumni classes on it. It will then go outside from the door near the cafeteria/lounge thing (with no purchasable food in it:smuggrin:), then down the sidewalk to the small animal clinic. That sidewalk is not sheltered and the wind just whips on through, so the walk is generally a brisk one, thus the 30 second alottment per trip. Once you get into the small animal clinic, and a surgery suite. If your guide works at the wildlife clinic, you may be allowed to visit in that area. If your guide loves the aviary, you may spend more time outside. If they work in one of the other areas, they might show you where they spend a lot of their time. Then, you'll go around then down the ramp to the large animal section. Depending on the footwear (and whether they consider you a disease transmission risk :))you'll go visit the phantom mare and look at some of the stalls. If there are actually sick animals in those stalls, they may just forego that section and you'll go to see the recovery stalls. Last year, we saw the new MRI machine, and got to ooh and aaah for a bit.
You'll be in there long enough to warm up slightly, until you'll be going back up the windy sidewalk and back to the basic sciences building.

You’ll be going up and down the ramp walking on the sidewalk, so keep that in mind when wearing heels.

As for food nearby:

None of these places are within walking distance, Well maybe Jimmy Johns, but it’s past the soccer field, across the four lane divided avenue, past the residence halls, and Illini Grove.
It’s about a mile north on Lincoln Ave just north of the park (Illini Grove) on the west side of the street.

There’s a diner on the ne corner of Neil and Kirby (which is the same street as Florida, but in Champaign:p) that is pretty spectacular any time of the day. It’s called Merry Ann’s. Yay, breakfast anytime!
If you don’t like diners, there’s always the McDonalds kitty corner to that and Monical‘s pizza next to that.
I heard the Hilton Garden has a good restaurant, but I don’t even look in that direction because they razed Aunt Sonya’s to make a Walgreen’s and a parking lot. Now that was a place to get the biggest fluffiest pancakes and waffles. And those balls of butter in the paper cup… Remember those? *sigh* I’m still mad about it.

There is also a TGIFridays/Bennigan’s ( I forgot which) down Neil to the south of there. If you go south on State street which is the light after the Neil and Kirby light going west. You got Hooters and Steak and Shake. I think there’s a Hardees over there, too.
You could always go to the iHotel and Conference Center on St Mary‘s road and have a meal at Houlihan’s. They tore out part of the old beef farm for that, but the beef facility we have now is state of the art., so I’m not cryin.

Let me know if you want some suggestions that are more campus (north) ward, and I can oblige with some old campus favorites. I think the majority of them will be hard to find, because of the one way streets and different rules during different times of the day. Just let me know, and I'll give some more.

Hey, you people still on campus chime in here!

Wow. Sorry for the novel, here.

You’ll be going up and down the ramp walking on the sidewalk, so keep that in mind when wearing heels.

Hey Truth,

Thanks for the awesome suggestions! I too forgot to register for the boxed lunch, but will have a car so I guess I won't have to starve.

Quick question...do you think it's okay NOT to wear heels? I absolutely can't tolerate them. I was planning on picking up a new pair of danskos this weekend.

When it's around freezing here, there's still the wind to consider. That's why I recommended thermals. I know I want to look nice. Hopefully, my thermals will fit under my suit and not make strange things happen to my hindquarters... maybe not. :rolleyes: I just want you guys to be aware of the way the weather is, here.

Silk long underwear! That's the way to go, it does a pretty good job of adding an extra layer of warmth while being thin and comfortable. I wore it while at Tufts and even though it wasn't that cold there, it definitely helped.

Hey Truth,

Thanks for the awesome suggestions! I too forgot to register for the boxed lunch, but will have a car so I guess I won't have to starve.

Quick question...do you think it's okay NOT to wear heels? I absolutely can't tolerate them. I was planning on picking up a new pair of danskos this weekend.

I think it depends on the Danskos. If they look like a pair of flats under the suit pants, then they should be fine. No clogs, please.

I wasn't planning on wearing heels this go around, because I felt like an Amazon, and my feet hurt.

Silk long underwear! That's the way to go, it does a pretty good job of adding an extra layer of warmth while being thin and comfortable. I wore it while at Tufts and even though it wasn't that cold there, it definitely helped.

Thanks stick91,
I've got a synthetic set with some weird seams that add an odd crease to the undercarriage, so I'll be getting a new pair of bottoms some time this week. Maybe in silk, maybe not.

Hey Truth,

Thanks so much for the info!!! You are a great resource :D

I will have a rental car and I'm actually staying at the iHotel, but I love the sound of that diner with breakfast all day... I'm not really a McDonald's person and I definitely want to check out a little bit of the area while I'm in town so want to try to stay away from just eating every meal at/next to the hotel.

Anyway thanks again for all the info and I will see everyone on MONDAY!!!!!!! Get excited!!!

Truth74 said:
Hey, you people still on campus chime in here!

Wow. Sorry for the novel, here.
Hah, looks like you covered all of the bases, though! If anyone has any more questions, however, feel free to ask. I'm no expert on how the tours run, etc. but can try to help wherever possible.

I'll be on the lookout for some SDNers. Not like you have a huge fat sign over your head labeled "SDN" or anything, but....it'll be nice to see you guys in person. ^^

Hey all, hope you're getting excited! Just a few other food thoughts. You could head down to Green Street and get a taste of what the main campus is like (if you dare, and parking can be a challenge) or head to downtown Urbana and try the Courier Cafe, one of my favorite places to grab a bite in the area. There's also a Thai place and a couple of bars that will have lunch in Urbana as well as a Starbucks if you need a fix in the morning. I'll be serving the tasty box lunches though if you've gone that route. One thing I wanted mention, the parking lot will be packed, so please try to give yourself some extra time if you're driving in or be adventurous and take the bus.

Good luck and have fun!

Our class' interview day last year was February 18th. We have been getting emails about the interview day and school is now decked out with signs. I am getting excited for Monday. I will be attending the lunch session and look forward to answering questions.

Welcome to our school and good luck! :laugh:

I was wondering what the etiquette is on sharing your interview experience w/ others there before they go in? I have an early slot and didn't know whether it's cool to talk about it to others who are waiting nervously.

I'm starting to get really excited to come up there and see everything! It's going to be a lot of fun to see a bigger-scale school. Though I'll have to resist wondering if people are SDN-ers or not...at least until after my interview :D

Here's to hoping that my flights go relatively smoothly. See ya'll on Monday!!

I was wondering what the etiquette is on sharing your interview experience w/ others there before they go in? I have an early slot and didn't know whether it's cool to talk about it to others who are waiting nervously.

I would like to think of it like an exam-- don't share your answers or the questions with anyone that is interviewing after you. Personally, I don't think it would be fair if they have more time to ponder over their answer than you did, and it would askew the points that they get and their ranking. At best, if you really want to talk about your experiences, maybe just tell them about your feelings, like whether you felt nervous/confident/etc, whether you thought yours went well... but nothing else.

Hey, all Illinois Interviewees: We are thrilled to have you with us for the day on Monday! Just breath deep, be yourselves and enjoy! I will be one of the tour guides as well as hanging out around the atrium for questions - so I look forward to talking with several of you!

The current temperature is 25˚ with a windchill of 8˚. There will be flurries tonight, but they should clear up by morning.

Sunday will have a high of 25˚ and a low of 13˚.

Monday will be a high of 31˚ and a low of 19˚. This does not include the windchill.

Thus concludes the weather portion of our broadcast. :D :laugh:

Are spouses allowed in either the information sessions or the campus tour?

Yep, just not in the interviews, of course.

Guess he'll just have to feed me answers through an earpiece then. :D

Guess he'll just have to feed me answers through an earpiece then. :D

haha nice :thumbup:

Truth I was wondering, did you guys get hit with the snow storm that we received so heavily in wisconsin? I know I could probably turn on the weather and find out for myself, but I'm beginning to really enjoy your meteorologist skills :)

haha nice :thumbup:

Truth I was wondering, did you guys get hit with the snow storm that we received so heavily in wisconsin? I know I could probably turn on the weather and find out for myself, but I'm beginning to really enjoy your meteorologist skills :)

There was a bit of scattered snow on Friday night, but I could still see the grass. I wouldn't even call them flurries. The roads were clear, so it didn't count as drifting snow. It was like a dusting of powdered sugar on a chocolate cake.

The wind was crazy, today (yesterday), though. It was a deceptively bright day until I stepped out of the door and had to jump back in to find a better pair of gloves and a hat.