IM Primary Care Rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polarbare

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone offer any insight into IM Primary Care Residency program rankings? An estimate of the top 10 programs would be most helpful!
More specifically, UCSF vs. BWH vs. MGH? Does JH Bayview make the list?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Can anyone offer any insight into IM Primary Care Residency program rankings? An estimate of the top 10 programs would be most helpful!
More specifically, UCSF vs. BWH vs. MGH? Does JH Bayview make the list?

Thanks!

While this is highly debatable... here's a possible top 10.

(not in rank order)
UW
UCSF
NYU
Montefiore-Albert Einstein
MGH
BWH
Cambridge Health Alliance
JHU Bayview
Yale

While this is highly debatable... here's a possible top 10.

(not in rank order)
UW
UCSF
NYU
Montefiore-Albert Einstein
MGH
BWH
Cambridge Health Alliance
JHU Bayview
Yale

Based on the USNWR data: UNC is #2 (also mentioned this as a selling point during the interview).

Members don't see this ad :)
Add BIDMC, I was very impressed by their primary care commitment. You enter in PGY2 but they accept all interested residents.

Anyone know anything about GW's Primary Care program??

Add BIDMC, I was very impressed by their primary care commitment. You enter in PGY2 but they accept all interested residents.

Anyone know anything about GW's Primary Care program??

Def. agree about UNC's inclusion, but I'd argue against BIDMC - while the BI is excellent in many things and there's a strong general internal med faculty, the really top notch PC programs tend to be far more structured than what BI offers.

Much as medicine programs are weak in the DC area, so too are the primary care programs...GW's program is the best in the city (particularly for its strengths in health policy), but that's not saying a lot. You'd be better served by Bayview, which is only a 30-40 minute drive away. :)

I'd also note - the South and Midwest seem under-represented here. I'd throw out the following programs as solid for general medicine/primary care, but not at the level of these programs:

OHSU, UCLA, Harbor-UCLA, UAB, Emory, Michigan, Mayo, Ohio State, Pittsburgh, BU, Brown, Dartmouth

As things have changed in the last 4-5 years, here's a healthy bump.

Any current opinions on the PC programs, particularly east coast - NYU, Sinai, Cornell, Monte, BU, Bayview, Brown, Yale, Penn