IM Programs in Texas

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Naloxone

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone gone through rotations or the residency program for medicine at CTMF of Seton Healthcare Network Program
in Austin, Texas? If so, do you have any feedback on it?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Perhaps the previous post was too specific. How about -- Does anyone have any input on the IM residency programs for UTMB, St. Josephs, UT Houston, or UT San Antonio?

Keeping my fingers crossed!:confused:

I did med school in San Antonio. From what I know, the program in Austin is not the best. I don't think it routinely fills and of course, since it is a private program, you may suffer from a lack of autonomy. Living in Austin though, would be the biggest bonus.

UTHSC-San Antonio is a fairly strong program academically and the night float system works okay.
You can get some great cases up from the border with Mexico. However, the hospitals don't support the housestaff very well and the facilities are fairly crummy. The ability to speak spanish fluently is an important trait you might want, since taking histories through a translator is painful.

UTMB is much like San Antonio in structure. The predominant patient care there is indigent...usually from many miles away, which makes disposition a hassle. Galveston is by the ocean , you can give it that....but near an extremely polluted port of Houston.....you can swim in the water....at your own risk

UT-Houston was on probabation from the RRC when I applied. I turned down my interview. I think the program has undergone some restructuring, but I think Baylor has a better IM program, although the residents I met there were on the obnoxious side. The predominant comment I heard from them was how much money the program had and all the amenities.

As for Private programs, BUMC in Dallas is really cush....but again, you will suffer a lack of autonomy. UTSW is a top program and attracts a more gung-ho type. Parkland is an incredible hospital.

Thats the short of what I know. Texas is nice and inexpensive...just hot. Houston is almost unbearable in the summertime and if you live anywhere near the TMC, you will be completely devoid of any contact with nature....Houston is the quentessential definition of urban sprawl. San Antonio, Dallas aren't much behind. Everything is bigger in Texas.....just not always better.

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by EidolonSix
Houston is almost unbearable in the summertime and if you live anywhere near the TMC, you will be completely devoid of any contact with nature....Houston is the quentessential definition of urban sprawl. [/B]

With the urban setting there's much more to do though. Around TMC are a glut of restaurants, museums, clubs, and sports arenas. Nature is not far away...15 minute drive to Memorial Park....

Thanks for the feedback. I hope scutwork gets more reviews for Texas.

I wish Houston had a few more Medicine programs. It seems like they've gone the route of FP over IM. Doh! Memorial park! It's world famous. Mnt Bike single tracks with huge climbs and tree dodging slopes?

Hopefully someone will post a statement regarding the current status of UT-Houston's Medicine residency.

Thanks again.

I went to med school at UT-H. The last I heard about the probabation issue was that the program was going to be re-evaluated this December.
I think alot of positive changes to the program have been made and hopefully it will be off probation shortly.