I'm worry ADCOMS will think I'm Padding my GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DarkKnight835

It's not brain science or rocket surgery!
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am current Sophomore at a 4 years state university. My plan is to take the MCAT in the Spring of my junior year (a year from now). However, I have a question regarding the classes that I will take.

I am going to take 2 research-for-credits classes, totaling 6 credits during my Junior year. I am also contemplating of doing Genetics UTA, which will give me another 3 credit during my Junior Year. The reason why I want to do UTA because I have a passion for teaching, and currently holding 2 tutoring jobs. I also want somewhat of a lighter semester since I will be studying for the MCAT. So with 9 credits worth of "easy A" junior year, will ADCOMS think I will be padding my GPA??

My current GPA is 3.7+ for both cGPA and sGPA

Any input is greatly appreciated, thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad.

Everybody does this, it's to your benefit, don't worry about it

Reactions: 3 users
I don't think admissions committees care as much as pre med advisors make you think. Go get your A's where you can

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much! You guys made me feel a lot better!
No problem, good luck with school! Have self confidence and put in the effort and good things will follow :)

Reactions: 1 user
Are you taking other courses with these 9 credit hours?

Hello everyone,

I am current Sophomore at a 4 years state university. My plan is to take the MCAT in the Spring of my junior year (a year from now). However, I have a question regarding the classes that I will take.

I am going to take 2 research-for-credits classes, totaling 6 credits during my Junior year. I am also contemplating of doing Genetics UTA, which will give me another 3 credit during my Junior Year. The reason why I want to do UTA because I have a passion for teaching, and currently holding 2 tutoring jobs. I also want somewhat of a lighter semester since I will be studying for the MCAT. So with 9 credits worth of "easy A" junior year, will ADCOMS think I will be padding my GPA??

My current GPA is 3.7+ for both cGPA and sGPA

Any input is greatly appreciated, thank you very much!
I literally took over 12 units of research and got A! I got in just fine so no worries but I would say you should have significant research involvement reflecting those credit just to be safe in the perspective of an ADCOM.

It likely won't make a difference.

The concern would be if an applicant was repeatedly taking "easy BCPM units" semester after semester while getting numerous bad grades in the traditional BCPM (like genetics or molecular biology for example) or harder BCPM classes (like upper division biology classes for example).

Reactions: 1 users
Are you taking other courses with these 9 credit hours?
Hi! Yes, my Fall semester I will take 3 credits research, and 13-16 other credits. During my Spring semester (MCAT semester), I will take 3 credit research, 3 credit UTA, and 6 other credits.

I literally took over 12 units of research and got A! I got in just fine so no worries but I would say you should have significant research involvement reflecting those credit just to be safe in the perspective of an ADCOM.
When you say significant involvement, how much do you think that is? I will be able to have like 300-400 hours of research by the time I apply, but my research lab is really big, and it’s almost impossible to get my name in a publish paper/poster. Will that be a problem?

It likely won't make a difference.

The concern would be if an applicant was repeatedly taking "easy BCPM units" semester after semester while getting numerous bad grades in the traditional BCPM (like genetics or molecular biology for example) or harder BCPM classes (like upper division biology classes for example).

My worst grades are the intro to bio course in my freshman year when I was not as focus. However, I have since getting A’s in cell molec and genetics to compensate for them!

Hi! Yes, my Fall semester I will take 3 credits research, and 13-16 other credits. During my Spring semester (MCAT semester), I will take 3 credit research, 3 credit UTA, and 6 other credits.
You will be fine, actually the adcoms might like it.

When you say significant involvement, how much do you think that is? I will be able to have like 300-400 hours of research by the time I apply, but my research lab is really big, and it’s almost impossible to get my name in a publish paper/poster. Will that be a problem?
300-400 for a year seem reasonable to me! publications only matter for research intensive school and if you apply to MD/PhD! I didn't have any pub and was never questioned how hard i worked but rather how i understood the value of my research involvement per say!