IMG - Chances, Course Of Action ?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Focused1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The best course of action is to approach this Professor and discuss your interest in US training with him. You explain to him that you have enjoyed your work with him and are interested in continuing it but you would like to consider resuming your clinical surgical training as well; provide him with the information you've given us (Step 1 score, PR status etc) and see if he thinks your application to his program would be well received. It sounds as if he's willing to write an LOR but you also want to know if that means more...maybe it doesn't and he really means he's happy to help you find a position outside of his program.

The most successful IMGs without USCE are those who are well known, well liked and have spent a number of years in the lab at certain institutions; positions are not infrequently found for them.

However, you cannot put all your eggs in 1 basket, so you will need advice for him as to your options and how he can assist you (i.e., if not in his program, perhaps another one locally that he has some pull at or another elsewhere). Then you will have to assess your chances at other programs. Your Step 1 is excellent and it sounds like you will not need a Visa; you have considerable research experience. The major potential red flag is your year of graduation from medical school/since surgical training which you have not mentioned. Some US programs will not consider anyone who is X number of years outside of graduation; 5 years seems to be the common number bandied about.

OPTIONS:

1) continue to do research and that is it; stay until the grants run out
2) Obtain your ECFMG certificate (some programs will want it, or at least all the steps toward obtaining it, before interviewing) and apply for the match, sending out a wide swath of applications

Reactions: 1 user
The best course of action is to approach this Professor and discuss your interest in US training with him. You explain to him that you have enjoyed your work with him and are interested in continuing it but you would like to consider resuming your clinical surgical training as well; provide him with the information you've given us (Step 1 score, PR status etc) and see if he thinks your application to his program would be well received. It sounds as if he's willing to write an LOR but you also want to know if that means more...maybe it doesn't and he really means he's happy to help you find a position outside of his program.

The most successful IMGs without USCE are those who are well known, well liked and have spent a number of years in the lab at certain institutions; positions are not infrequently found for them.

However, you cannot put all your eggs in 1 basket, so you will need advice for him as to your options and how he can assist you (i.e., if not in his program, perhaps another one locally that he has some pull at or another elsewhere). Then you will have to assess your chances at other programs. Your Step 1 is excellent and it sounds like you will not need a Visa; you have considerable research experience. The major potential red flag is your year of graduation from medical school/since surgical training which you have not mentioned. Some US programs will not consider anyone who is X number of years outside of graduation; 5 years seems to be the common number bandied about.

OPTIONS:

1) continue to do research and that is it; stay until the grants run out
2) Obtain your ECFMG certificate (some programs will want it, or at least all the steps toward obtaining it, before interviewing) and apply for the match, sending out a wide swath of applications

Thank you VERY much for your answer. Sincerely appreciated.
To answer your question, I finished med school 2.5 years ago and have been working as a surgery resident since then. At the most I will be 3.5 years out by the time I apply. I am pretty sure it will be well under 5 years when i apply.

Reactions: 1 user