IMG friendly for medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

curious monkey

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a caribbean student applying for 2007 match in IM and was wondering if anybody could shed light specifically on university programs that are somewhat IMG and more importantly for me caribbean friendly. thanks

Members don't see this ad.

curious monkey said:
I am a caribbean student applying for 2007 match in IM and was wondering if anybody could shed light specifically on university programs that are somewhat IMG and more importantly for me caribbean friendly. thanks

I think the best way for you to go about it would be go to the websites and look at current housestaff. See who has FMG in thier program. Failing that, since many IM programs dont list thier housestaff, look at reviews of the programs on scutwork or valuemd.com. Sometimes the review will say something like 50% FMG or a couple of FMG in the program.

This is only a glimpse at what the program is like, since you don't know anything about the particular FMG in that program. He/She could have been a MD/PHD with three years of private practice under thier belt. AND scored in the 99% on step one and two.

Asking like this wont get many responses, and the ones that do respond may be in New York and you may be looking at the Midwest

Now that ive said this, your going to get 200 responses. Go figure

Follow this link. Some people say it is a bit dated, however it will give you an idea of established programs that are known to be IMG friendly.

Members don't see this ad :)
curious monkey said:
Go to the web sites of Ross and St Georges ..their matches are posted.Those are the places that take IMGs for medicine.Although there are a few other places that do as well,this is a fairly complete list.

Three words for you: "New York City".

Can a carib grad with Step 1 >90% have a shot at the top 20 IM programs?

GuP said:
I'v rarely seen it happen.However I'm sure its possible for an exceptional individual, as some IMGs do match at such places...A carib grad who does well should be able to place into a strong IM residency program without a problem.The TOP places are very difficult.

GuP said:

I have learned that it's not so much the quality and ranking of the program that determines whether they discriminate against IMG's and DO's for that matter but rather the program's tradition. Northwestern is not what I would consider a top 20 IM program but it's well known they don't accept IMG's and DO's. But a program like the Cleveland Clinic is a top 20 program and they have taken DO's and I'm sure some IMG's in the past. Harvard will not make exceptions but Hopkins has taken some DO's in the past. UCSF is pretty anti-IMG and DO. It depends on the program. Speak with top students at your school and see where they got interviews. For example, if an IMG or a DO in the top 10% of his or her class and 250 + on Step I is not getting interviews at a program, you can pretty much determine that program doesn't IMG's or DO's.

esposo said:
I have learned that it's not so much the quality and ranking of the program that determines whether they discriminate against IMG's and DO's for that matter but rather the program's tradition. Northwestern is not what I would consider a top 20 IM program but it's well known they don't accept IMG's and DO's. But a program like the Cleveland Clinic is a top 20 program and they have taken DO's and I'm sure some IMG's in the past. Harvard will not make exceptions but Hopkins has taken some DO's in the past. UCSF is pretty anti-IMG and DO. It depends on the program. Speak with top students at your school and see where they got interviews. For example, if an IMG or a DO in the top 10% of his or her class and 250 + on Step I is not getting interviews at a program, you can pretty much determine that program doesn't IMG's or DO's.

Ive heard that the IM training at CC isnt highly regarded, despite its name and reputation..... its pretty much a fellow driven place. The fellowships are known to be top notch though. Its probably more accurate to describe it as a Top 20 "Hospital"

My impression about those who talk smack about the Cleveland Clinic program, which appears to be a fashionable thing to do among residency applicants, is that they hear there is a lot of IMGs and thus think it is a poorly regarded program. I've also heard the "fellow-run" comment before. It appears to be one of those self-evident facts circulated by those 4th year medical students who believe everything they hear and read Iserson religiously.

I just graduated from there and think it is top notch, in terms of training and fellowship placement, on par with some of the best university programs. The depth and breadth of clinical exposure and staff expertise and teaching are among the best in country. However, is it not a US graduate club and there are a lot of people of color and accent in the program. So if you happen to be of the more ethnocentric type you might not feel comfortable here, since those people of color and accent are quite often smarter and more accomplished than thou.

medgator said:
Ive heard that the IM training at CC isnt highly regarded, despite its name and reputation..... its pretty much a fellow driven place. The fellowships are known to be top notch though. Its probably more accurate to describe it as a Top 20 "Hospital"

But...

Before I get assailed by the masses of 4th year zealots who would give their own their lives to defend the honour of USNews medical school rankings and the psalms of Iserson, I will say that it is not as well regarded as the top IM programs in the country such as MGH, BWH, UCSF, JHU, etc...

And for the one who started the thread, it is "IMG friendly" in the sense that if you are extremely well accomplished, with excellent scores and research experience, you may be considered. I know many IMG applicants with 99/99 on their steps who did not even get an interview.

I echo earlier posts to apply to the Midwest in general (Detroit, Indiana, Wisconsin, Ohio, Kansas, Missouri), certain Southern states (Louisiana, Tennessee, Arkansas, etc), and if you're tough enough to the more ghetto programs in NYC/NJ.

curious monkey said:

You might check out the University of Pittsburgh Presbyterian and Shadyside. Both are pretty friendly places-- i did my prelim year there and saw a good mix of people.

The problem is if a program is seen as taking IMG's and DO's, it's automatically perceived as an inferior program. I know it's common for many M.D. applicants to evaluate a program by examining it's current roster and if it contains a significant number (or if any at all) of FMG's or DO's, they will downgrade the program. MGH could do the same and the elite applicants will avoid the place as if a plague has encroached upon it. It's complete b.s. That is why some of the best programs deliberately avoid taking FMG's and DO's. Sad but true!

curious monkey said:

Rosalind Franklin University/Chicago Medical School's IM program is almost 100% IMG/FMG and they have a pretty good program at Mount SInai, downtown CHicago..... check it out!

abu barney said:
But...

Before I get assailed by the masses of 4th year zealots who would give their own their lives to defend the honour of USNews medical school rankings and the psalms of Iserson, I will say that it is not as well regarded as the top IM programs in the country such as MGH, BWH, UCSF, JHU, etc...

And for the one who started the thread, it is "IMG friendly" in the sense that if you are extremely well accomplished, with excellent scores and research experience, you may be considered. I know many IMG applicants with 99/99 on their steps who did not even get an interview.

I echo earlier posts to apply to the Midwest in general (Detroit, Indiana, Wisconsin, Ohio, Kansas, Missouri), certain Southern states (Louisiana, Tennessee, Arkansas, etc), and if you're tough enough to the more ghetto programs in NYC/NJ.

Do you know if CC accepts any caribbean grads with good USMLE scores?