This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks. The regular interview day has dinner with resident and interview with faculty and resident. The working day interview has a longer program but interview with PD. thats why I was concerned the latter option would have been better and thats why most people chose it first. I did an observership there so I dont think I need to see the working day again .

For future applicants interested in Einstein here are a few application tips from what i gathered when i was doing observership there
1) YOG is not important ( there are IMGs there with YOG more than 8 years)
2) step 1 score more than 240 is essential for all countries except if you are from India, China and Pakistan then 250 is the cut off....
3) Must have MSPE (this is one of the rare programs that considers IMG mspe an essential)
4) do a two week observership there , i think it was 600- 800 dollars, the PD gives you a mini interview at the end of the two weeks. LOR are difficult to get but it is possible.
5) H1 visa only in IM not in peds


dang, I wish program websites were more honest about their score requirements, do you think they will consider you if you do an observership there and your steps are < 240?
 
dang, I wish program websites were more honest about their score requirements, do you think they will consider you if you do an observership there and your steps are < 240?

Yes , there was a non US IMG resident there who even had a CS attempt with score of 220s and yog 5. but he had good MSPE from home country and LOR from an einstein attending which made the difference. so all hope is not lost!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I gotta say, it's really crazy to me when programs have such a high unofficial cutoff score. I'm obviously biased, but there's really no data to support high scores producing better physicians. The only correlation to a bad score is possible board examination failure, which isn't a big risk if you're scoring above 220. So at that point the high scores really become more about reputation than anything else. Which is disappointing because they're really missing out on some great future doctors. Their loss I suppose ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
 
need opinion about ECFMG cert, right now I'm "eligible for cert" meaning i've cleared CK, CS, etc. My process still won't start until hopefully next week when I get my diploma. Does this hurt my application?? do some programs filter?? I graduated in in September. I know most programs say deadline is during ROL time, but do some programs actually want it by the time app is submitted?

When I was looking at programs and choosing where to apply, I do remember seeing some programs stating on their website that ecfmg cert was required at time of application (not many, just a few)
 
I gotta say, it's really crazy to me when programs have such a high unofficial cutoff score. I'm obviously biased, but there's really no data to support high scores producing better physicians. The only correlation to a bad score is possible board examination failure, which isn't a big risk if you're scoring above 220. So at that point the high scores really become more about reputation than anything else. Which is disappointing because they're really missing out on some great future doctors. Their loss I suppose ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Honestly, it's a shear numbers game. These programs literally receive thousands of applications per year for such limited spots. It's actually pretty hard to pick people who are so similar. Therefore, they will just set cut offs to make their jobs easier. That's why it's so important to have contacts to bring your application to light.
 
Honestly, it's a shear numbers game. These programs literally receive thousands of applications per year for such limited spots. It's actually pretty hard to pick people who are so similar. Therefore, they will just set cut offs to make their jobs easier. That's why it's so important to have contacts to bring your application to light.
Yeah totally agree with application screening to thin the herd. I was specifically talking about unreasonably high score filters. Like cutting off at 250, yeah you now have a group of smart/great test takers to choose from but those qualities are more about program reputation than actual clinical acumen.
 
Thanks. The regular interview day has dinner with resident and interview with faculty and resident. The working day interview has a longer program but interview with PD. thats why I was concerned the latter option would have been better and thats why most people chose it first. I did an observership there so I dont think I need to see the working day again .

For future applicants interested in Einstein here are a few application tips from what i gathered when i was doing observership there
1) YOG is not important ( there are IMGs there with YOG more than 8 years)
2) step 1 score more than 240 is essential for all countries except if you are from India, China and Pakistan then 250 is the cut off....
3) Must have MSPE (this is one of the rare programs that considers IMG mspe an essential)
4) do a two week observership there , i think it was 600- 800 dollars, the PD gives you a mini interview at the end of the two weeks. LOR are difficult to get but it is possible.
5) H1 visa only in IM not in peds
6) USCE not required.

Thank you for the insight. So since most people probably did not have obs there, I guess that's why we saw people with decent score and credentials being rejected. It also shows how competitive IM has become. A friend of mine actually matched there years ago. They looked for people with great scores back then. Now this program affords the luxury of setting such strict screening criteria.
 
Is it true that the Albert Einstein Program, Philadelphia offers prematch contacts to some applicants?
 
Albert Einstein in Philly actually sent an application to a person from my school with lower scores than me and less USCE. The only thing I heard that might have affected some of us is the fact that we have done research and this program does not like that so much (I also wrote in my PS that I like research and I see myself in the future working in an academic setting). Hmm it seems like it's true that some community programs are turned off by stuff like that.
You guys have to also consider the fact that some programs also care about where you studied/where you come from. There are specific trends of many programs that tend to take people from specific countries.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Congratulations!
thank you, i really can't complain for now.... Your stats are pretty impressive, I know you were frustrated with the lack of interviews in your previous post, but I am sure you are going to get just as many, if not more 🙂 And that goes for @bancrofti32 as well
 
Hello I am an IMG ... Internal medicine residency
All steps first attempt including step 3
ECFMG OK
Need Visa
3 years from graduation, with continuos medical practice since graduation in my home country
4 LOR from the US
2 observerships in the US and 1 research international + 1 national research experience
Current professor at an university
Applied to 100 programs
1 paper first author

I havent got any interview invitations so far ... when should I start to get worried? Is there anything I can do to improve my odds in the application ? E mailing programs ? What is acknowledgment from a program?

Thank you ...
 
Amazing! I have only 1 so far with 1 rejection (southern Illinois). Do you need visa and how were your step scores if you don’t mind me asking?
step 1 251 and step 2 258, 6 months of USCEs all hands on, 4 US LORs 2 publications and one in the works as a first name... I do need a visa... I read that your scores are similar to mine, so like I replied to Liverpool1892, I am sure you are going to end up with the same amount of IVs
 
step 1 251 and step 2 258, 6 months of USCEs all hands on, 4 US LORs 2 publications and one in the works as a first name... I do need a visa... I read that your scores are similar to mine, so like I replied to Liverpool1892, I am sure you are going to end up with the same amount of IVs

Thanks. Good luck with you IVs. You have stellar credentials, I am sure you get your top choice.
 
thank you, i really can't complain for now.... Your stats are pretty impressive, I know you were frustrated with the lack of interviews in your previous post, but I am sure you are going to get just as many, if not more 🙂 And that goes for @bancrofti32 as well
Yeah Hop
thank you, i really can't complain for now.... Your stats are pretty impressive, I know you were frustrated with the lack of interviews in your previous post, but I am sure you are going to get just as many, if not more 🙂 And that goes for @bancrofti32 as well
Thank you. Hope I get a few more. And good luck with your IVs
 
FAU fixed the ERAS scheduler after many "noReply" emails that got me excited and disappointed at the same time.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Newbie to this thread. I got this one as well. Were you able to schedule it? It's not showing up in the ERAS scheduler.
Yeah just saw that it had gotten fixed. The coordinator left my phone call ringing lol so I assume a lot of people were calling about the issue. All good now.
 
Your chances of matching or interviewing are very, very low with those red flags. Being 8 years removed from medical school, very low board scores, need for visa, all will work against you. Not saying it’s impossible, but would consider alternative career options as well simultaneously if possible (though being on a dependent visa limits this a lot especially in this political climate). All I would say is if you can find someone to put in a good word for you I would try that route

This thread seems to be a little touchy so I’ll clarify - I’m not trying to be mean. Just realistic with regard to your chances.
Hehehe , relax i dont feel bad , and i appreciate honesty.
@ carrier change may not happen , i may just go home after SOAP if i get nothing and continue with old job in general medicine which i did . But I cant change carrier , as its to late to enter in Indian Military and in any carrier in India as everything tagged by age for me *
@ contacts : man ....... i think its time to take tour NY city and make friends finally
 
And there you go! You’re just gonna hurt your head...they apparently only want sunshine and rose colored glasses...
I think you are wrong here .... because i accept truth over sugar coated lie anytime , but i totally understand why you saying this , that's why i want to apologize on behalf of anyone who must have said impolite things here .
 
Hi everyone!
I have gotten 0 interviews so far. When should I start panicking?
 
Sorry to hear 🙁 . I have no interviews yet. This process is terrible for my self confidence, which is currently being destroyed after each rejection. GOD DAMNIT.

You have excellent credentials, as far as I can remember. Don’t lose hope. It can only get better from here on. Best of luck!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You have excellent credentials, as far as I can remember. Don’t lose hope. It can only get better from here on. Best of luck!
Meh. My credentials are ok. I need a visa and i have 22x on both steps and no failure and one research presentation. I just graduated a few months ago. I think the visa is the issue as well as the fact that im not in the top tier of caribbean schools
 
Sorry to hear 🙁 . I have no interviews yet. This process is terrible for my self confidence, which is currently being destroyed after each rejection. GOD DAMNIT.
It's horrible. These past 3 weeks I've been closer to a depressive disorder than any other moment in my life. I've never felt so frustrated and panicked before. What a challenge. Fortunately I'm really close to my family and I have very good friends that have been extremely supportive. But we have to be patient. Apparently this is not different for any other IMG. I've talked with a lot of friends that are now residents and ALL of them agree that this process sucks.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.