This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CerebralCat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
The IMG thread last year was super helpful and encouraging to read. Decided to start one for this year's cycle!

Let's support each other through this stressful process. Share your scores and application stats (if you wish) - this helps other applicants gauge their competitiveness. It can also be reassuring when you see that not everyone has crazy 270s on all their steps. ;P

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Step 1: 241
Step 2: 247
Step 2 CS: Pass
All of them 1st attempt.
YoG: 2014.
2 mo of USCE
Visa Status: Non US-IMG
3 LOR's from american attendings. One of them is strong. Another one is fine. The third one I don't know.
Programs Applied to: 57
I didn´t apply to more programs because money is an issue for me but I applied broad through IMG friendly programs. I'm terrified right now.

Reactions: 2 users
Non-US IMG - need visa
YOG - 2016
Step 1 - 252
step 2ck - 259
step 2cs - pass
2 USCE (1 hands on)
No research or EC
Applied to 141 progs

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks. But ive been out of medicine for most part since graduation. This is a bit worry, otherwise id be super relaxed
You will be okay. Only graduated 2 years ago. A little USCE and great scores. As long as you applied broadly, you will do great. I hope we all do well this season, and can be supportive. Not matching is the worst feeling in the world. Good luck!!

- Step 1: 251
- Step 2: 264
- Step 2 CS: Pass
- All pass in 1st attempt.
- YoG: 2008
- 1 mo of observership, no other significant USCE
- Visa Status: permanent resident (GC-holder)
- 18 publications, 6 congress presentation
- Programs applied to: 223
Great stats. YoG might be an issue with limited USCE. What have you been doing for the last 10 years?

Reactions: 1 user
You will be okay. Only graduated 2 years ago. A little USCE and great scores. As long as you applied broadly, you will do great. I hope we all do well this season, and can be supportive. Not matching is the worst feeling in the world. Good luck!!

Good luck to you too! You did great to strengthen an already sold application.

US IMG
Step 1~230s
Step 2:~22x
1 year USCE
YOG 2017
3 Research Pubs
230+ programs

Let's see what happens.

Reactions: 1 users
Step 1: 254 (first attempt)
Step 2: not yet
Step 2 CS: Pass (first attempt)
1 mo USCE
YOG 2018
1 Publication
Visa status: need VISA

Major Procrastinator, I am in the same situation as you were last year.So, what would you suggest as a strategy now that you 've gone through the process once?

I have applied to some programs, that I would really like to match into. I am thinking applying broadly only after receiving my ck score (November).

Last edited:
US-IMG
Step 1 218
Step 2 251
CS pass all first attempt
208 programs applied to
Good luck guys!

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
1 mo USCE
YOG 2018
1 Publication

Major Procrastinator, I am in the same situation as you were last year.So, what would you suggest as a strategy now that you 've gone through the process once?

I have applied to some programs, that I would really like to match into. I am thinking applying broadly only after receiving my ck score (November).
why are you waiting so long to take CK? and do you need a visa?

why are you waiting so long to take CK? and do you need a visa?

Oh you are right! yes I need a visa, non US IMG here.

Hmm, that's a good question, I strongly believe that a good score is essential to get a position in a good (mid-high tier) residency program.
Hence, I think that a solid preparation will help me get a descent (hopefully high) score. Moreover, if I take the exam earlier, I may risk my chances of getting into residency for this and every subsequent match. However, if I receive a good score later during this season, I only risk my chances for this year's match and even if I dont match I could try to strengthen my application and try again next year.

This is, briefly, my way of thinking. Do you agree? Do you disagree? I would really like to hear your opinion.

Members don't see this ad :)
1 mo USCE
YOG 2018
1 Publication
Visa status: need VISA

If you are ok with just trying your luck, and are ok with losing money try to apply to programs that do not require CK. Keep in mind you need a visa (I did not), so most programs will require a ECFMG certificate before even looking at you.

It is better to apply next year with a solid score then rush now and mess up all future chances. If I had to do it again I would have saved my money and delayed one year to get the best possible program I could. Since it will make a big impact on my future.

Applying in Nov is going to be super super late.

If you want to give yourself a shot at best possible residency. You might want to take your time on CK, get at least 3-6 months USCE hands on and take Step 3 since you want a visa and apply day 1 next year. This is what I would do in your shoes, especially if I needed a visa as well.

You can always try to contact programs and see if they will look at you now. If your gonna apply to some places do it now, but keep in mind some will not even look at you til you are complete.

If i had to do it again, I would have still applied but on day 1. I would have got my CK done a little earlier as well so I didnt miss ROL. I was just trying my luck. I had no recent USCE. I feel like I am in a lot better position this year.

Ultimately only thing you have to lose is money, so it is your call.

Good luck.

Last edited:
If you are ok with just trying your luck, and are ok with losing money try to apply to programs that do not require CK. Keep in mind you need a visa (I did not), so most programs will require a ECFMG certificate before even looking at you.

It is better to apply next year with a solid score then rush now and mess up all future chances. If I had to do it again I would have saved my money and delayed one year to get the best possible program I could. Since it will make a big impact on my future.

Applying in Nov is going to be super super late.

If you want to give yourself a shot at best possible residency. You might want to take your time on CK, get at least 3-6 months USCE hands on and take Step 3 since you want a visa and apply day 1 next year. This is what I would do in your shoes, especially if I needed a visa as well.

You can always try to contact programs and see if they will look at you now. If your gonna apply to some places do it now, but keep in mind some will not even look at you til you are complete.

If i had to do it again, I would have still applied but on day 1. I would have got my CK done a little earlier as well so I didnt miss ROL. I was just trying my luck. I had no recent USCE. I feel like I am in a lot better position this year.

Ultimately only thing you have to lose is money, so it is your call.

Good luck.
Thanks a lot for your response!
I have already submitted a limited number of applications after an extensive research about every program.

You are totally right! I know that my chances are really really low but if I dont apply at all my chances will be literally 0%. Hence I will give it a try.

Good luck to all of you!

US IMG
Step 1: 229
CK: 228
CS: Passed first attempt
YOG: 2017
Programs applied to: 217
4 months of USCE, 3 clinical LORs and 1 character LOR. Some decent research experience.
My hope is that I'll pass most score filters and then win them over with the rest of my app because tbh it can only get better from there lol

Hmm, that's a good question, I strongly believe that a good score is essential to get a position in a good (mid-high tier) residency program.
Hence, I think that a solid preparation will help me get a descent (hopefully high) score. Moreover, if I take the exam earlier, I may risk my chances of getting into residency for this and every subsequent match. However, if I receive a good score later during this season, I only risk my chances for this year's match and even if I dont match I could try to strengthen my application and try again next year.

This is, briefly, my way of thinking. Do you agree? Do you disagree? I would really like to hear your opinion.

This is something we read every year again.

For an IMG, applying to the Match without Step 2 CK is a complete waste of time and money.

If your argument for delaying Step 2 is to get better scores to increase your risk at landing at a "good" program, please beware that not having the score will take you out of the race for all these "good" programs and likely also most programs that are tiers below your target range.

A Step 2 score that is okay will boost your application much more than a stellar score months after interviews are sent out.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Non-US IMG (Need Visa)
- Step 1: 233
- Step 2: 250
- YoG: 2012
- 6 mo of USCE
- 3 publications, 3 Congress presentation
- Programs applied to: 95

Wishing luck to everyone! I can tell it will be hard for me :bag:

Non-US IMG (Need VISA)
Step 1: 257
Step 2CK: 267
Step 2CS: first attempt
Step 3: planning to take step 3 exam in November
YOG: 2014
No USCE
3 LoRs: all of them are strong but only one is from the department chair of internal medicine.. others from faculties from preventive medicine and occupational/environmental medicine.. (Will I be OK..?)
No publication (Going to submit an article in September)
Programs applied to: 68

Good luck for everyone!!
Thank you for making this thread :)

don't disagree with your thought about wanting to have the highest score you can especially since you have a decent step I score and CS is passed on the 1st attempt.

its hard to say, while you only have 1 month of USCE, if you have good LoRs from the rotation, then its all you need.

you should apply to a wide range of residencies and not just aim for mid to high tier programs...frankly high tier IM programs will generally be out of reach for most I/FMGs, though some place will consider exceptional FMGs.

Technically you only have to have Step I, CK, and CS passed to have a valid ROL (if you don't, your ROL will automatically be pulled out of consideration), so most programs will off interview invites to people who have these done and don't require ECFMG certification (meaning you have a medical diploma), otherwise no 4th year medical student from a foreign school would be able to get interviews.

if you are ok with the possibility that you will get little to no IVs because your CK is late, then apply now and have your plan B in place for the SOAP and re-applying next year...your YOG won't be too much of an issue next year.

Non-US IMG (Need Visa)
- Step 1: 233
- Step 2: 250
- YoG: 2012
- 6 mo of USCE
- 3 publications, 3 Congress presentation
- Programs applied to: 95

Wishing luck to everyone! I can tell it will be hard for me :bag:
you should apply to way more programs...

Thank you for starting this thread!!

Non-US IMG
Step 1: 250s
Step 2 CK: 250s
Step 3: not yet
YoG: 2018
Programs Applied to: 160

Wish you all the best!

Last edited:
Step 1: 24o+
Step 2: 250+
All 1st attempt.
YoG: 8+ (with gap in CV)
2 mo of USCE
Visa Status: Non US-IMG with GC
3 LOR's from American attendings. One of them is very strong.
Research 5+ months with 1 publication
Programs Applied to: 180

I know, my case is a complicated one :)

Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
Mannn, we got some sexy Scarlett Johansson applicants here. I'm just a Fran Stalinovskovichdavidovitchsky tryna make it in this world.

Mannn, we got some sexy Scarlett Johansson applicants here. I'm just a Fran Stalinovskovichdavidovitchsky tryna make it in this world.
We're the same man. The underdogs. At least you had an acknowledgement today!!! That's really good news.

Non US IMG
Step 1- 244
Step 2ck - 252
Step 2 cs- pass
3 US LOR's from clinical rotations
All USCE
YOG- 2019
Programs applied to 111. Money is a big issue
So far, no acknowledgements or replies. Don't even know if programs have received my application

Posting on behalf of a friend
Non US IMG
Step 1 - 241
Step 2 ck- 228
Step 2 cs- failed first attempt, recently gave second attempt. Results released sometime in december
YOG- 2018
US LOR's. USCE
Apply to 50 IM programs as of now and apply to more later, money is a big issue. Also applying to FM programs when money becomes available.

Acknowledgement from another FM program. This one is in Conneticut.
Congrats on your acknowledgements!!! However as this is an IM thread, I think you should find the FM threads and post there so it doesn’t cause unnecessary confusion :)

Congrats on your acknowledgements!!! However as this is an IM thread, I think you should find the FM threads and post there so it doesn’t cause unnecessary confusion :)
I am sorry, I will just stick to IM then.
Also I am not sure but I dont think acknowledgements mean anything significant.

Last edited:
Guys anything yet? I know it's pretty early but I am starting to freak

Guys anything yet? I know it's pretty early but I am starting to freak

I would wait by the end of the week and definitely wouldn't expect anything till October. However, I can't help but look at it occasionally either.

Guys, do you have any idea about this:
Despite that the ERAS says that my USMLE transcript has been successfully processed, but the ECFMG-oasis on usmle transcript section says "No request for transcripts found". Is there anything wrong? Does it mean that my application has not been seen by any program yet?

Despite that the ERAS says that my USMLE transcript has been successfully processed, but the ECFMG-oasis on usmle transcript section says "No request for transcripts found". Is there anything wrong? Does it mean that my application has not been seen by any program yet?
Mine says the same. I guess that means alright. ;);)

Oasis has nothing to do with it. Just look at ERAS. Requested date and Processed date.

I just got an email from a program in philly. I was told they require 4 LORs. I do have 4 LORs on my ERAS but I only assigned 3 cause I know most programs usually request 3 and my 4th letter is not too strong. I however replied the PC and told her I have assigned my 4th letter. Is this going to cost my chances with the program? Should I go ahead and assign my 4th letter to all programs? Or wait till they email to request for a 4th?

I just got an email from a program in philly. I was told they require 4 LORs. I do have 4 LORs on my ERAS but I only assigned 3 cause I know most programs usually request 3 and my 4th letter is not too strong. I however replied the PC and told her I have assigned my 4th letter. Is this going to cost my chances with the program? Should I go ahead and assign my 4th letter to all programs? Or wait till they email to request for a 4th?
I added 4 to all. I heard it doesnt hurt us. Worst case if they want three they just drop 1.

Once you are ECFMG certified do you have to contact programs or is it updated automatically?

Step 1: 251
Step 2 CK: 245
Step 3: 223
YoG: 2013
Visa Status: Need visa
Programs Applied to: 65

Status
Not open for further replies.