USMLE IMG with Step 1 score of 198

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Studentdoctor1793

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. Just received my Step 1 score of 198. Interest in IM/neuro (child or adult - undecided). I have done one internship with an IM doctor who I think will give me an LOR; an elective with a community paediatrician who I believe will also give me an LOR. That's it for USCE. Overall quite an average medical student. Any hope in continuing?

Also I keep reading about people getting Honors on their clerkship evaluations - there is no such thing in my school. We just do our rotations in our various departments and have an exam that we have to pass/fail at the end. How will these help?

(Part of me is hoping for sympathy as dreams crushed etc. plus my dad won't speak to me because of this. But please give it to me straight. Honesty is appreciated!)

Thank you in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. Just received my Step 1 score of 198. Interest in IM/neuro (child or adult - undecided). I have done one internship with an IM doctor who I think will give me an LOR; an elective with a community paediatrician who I believe will also give me an LOR. That's it for USCE. Overall quite an average medical student. Any hope in continuing?

Also I keep reading about people getting Honors on their clerkship evaluations - there is no such thing in my school. We just do our rotations in our various departments and have an exam that we have to pass/fail at the end. How will these help?

(Part of me is hoping for sympathy as dreams crushed etc. plus my dad won't speak to me because of this. But please give it to me straight. Honesty is appreciated!)

Thank you in advance.
Do well in your clerkship and apply to 150+ IM programs that take IMG... Neuro will be tough for the simple reason that they don't have a lot of spots like IM... You already pass step 1, so you should definitely continue...

Reactions: 1 users
Hi,

I also received my step 1 score of 197 few days back, I am totally shattered. I am con fused if I should quit USMLE and pursue some other line. I am a Canadian IMG.

Can u please advise if pursuing is a good option, if so to get a residency what needs to be done, a friend of mine told MPH is a good option and read step 2 along with it. What other option do I have ?

Do u think from your experience with several ppl should I continue or quit.

If you think pursuing usmle is a lot of risk after such a score, please tell me bluntly, don't want to waste my years of life towards unchartered destination.

I have a USCE rotation scheduled next month and CS exam in 4 days for which i am unable to focus after receiving this score.

Please advise me guys, hoping to hear from you. I am totally down since receiving score 4 days back.

Thankyou

IMG here too (or is it FMG now? not a US citizen), haven't taken the test yet though.

I'll be honest, this will have a pretty big impact on your chances. However, I have checked the NRMP charting outcomes for IMGs for you.
Out of 176 non-US IMG IM applicants with step 1 score <200, 42 matched.
Out of 19 non-US IMG neuro applicants with step 1 score <200, 7 matched.
Out of 2 non-US IMG child neuro applicants with step 1 score <200, 1 matched.
The data for US IMGs is pretty similar.

So as you can see, there is still hope. I think connections will be very important in order for you to get IVs, so you should work on that. Do you think you have it in you to improve your CK score? A good CK score might help detract from your step 1.

I think you should take some time to regroup and make your decision. There is still hope, yes, but it will be an uphill battle.

Also, you should not be thinking about what your dad wants right now. This is your life, and you're the one who will deal with the consequences of whatever you make out of it.

I wish you luck and hard work.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just like I said in the other thread.
It doesn't matter what your chances are. What matters is how bad you want it!

Reactions: 1 user
I score less than 200 for my usmle step 1 and planning to apply surgery residency. Any hope for me? Or i should just be realistic and apply for other residency . I need some advice. Thanks