IMGs Applying to Internal Medicine. 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Alezam

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I know there is another thread for IM 2018, but I thought it was a good idea to make one just for IMGs so we can keep track of how we're doing and kind of try to predict our realistic chances this year. Please post your basic info like USMLE scores, year of graduation, migratory status and if you've got or not an interview so far.

Step 1 232
Step 2ck 247
Step 2 CS Pass
YoG 2013
all 1st attempt
Green Card Holder.

No interviews so far. Scared to dead btw.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Is this the first time you applying? (just curious)

When do IMGs begin receiving interviews in IM?
Also, please correct the title of the thread

Members don't see this ad :)
When do IMGs begin receiving interviews in IM?
Also, please correct the title of the thread
I haven't got any interview yet, everyone I know is in the same situation. That's why I created this threat so we can have more info about what's going on out there...
Correct the title how?

The IMG anxiety is real! I met a bunch of US medical students yesterday talking about the interview invites they already received...well it’s early yet, chin up :)

Step 1: 265
Step 2 CK: 262
Step 2 CS: score pending
YOG: 2018
All clerkships in the US
I need a J-1 visa

No interviews or rejections so far.

The IMG anxiety is real! I met a bunch of US medical students yesterday talking about the interview invites they already received...well it’s early yet, chin up :)

All clerkships in the US
I need a J-1 visa

Thank you for joining! Your scores and qualifications are outstanding. Good luck. Keep us posted.

I just got a “we are reviewing applications” email from Sinai Grace Hospital. Well, at least that’s something :confused:

I just got a “we are reviewing applications” email from Sinai Grace Hospital. Well, at least that’s something :confused:
Same here, from Jacobi NYC they also asked about any fellowship interest.

Img
Just garduated this august
Applied to 250+ programs
Step 1 260
Step 2 270
Step 2 cs pass
Three months electives at a university hospital

As of now I have received 3 interviews

Reactions: 1 users
US-IMG
Step 1: 231
Step 2: 224
Step 2CS: Pass
YOG: 2017
ECFMG Certified

1 interview, 2 received your application acknowledgements

Members don't see this ad :)
non-us IMG
Step 1: 233
Step 2: 221
YOG: 2010
IM residency l+4 years working at univ. hospital in Brazil
ECFMG Certified
2 years of research at cancer center (3 posters - 3 pubs)

125 applications / 0 IV
when do they start arriving ? my step scores suck , but i should a least receive 1, right ?

non-us IMG
Step 1: 233
Step 2: 221
YOG: 2010
IM residency l+4 years working at univ. hospital in Brazil
ECFMG Certified
2 years of research at cancer center (3 posters - 3 pubs)

125 applications / 0 IV
when do they start arriving ? my step scores suck , but i should a least receive 1, right ?
For what I've found reading old forums IMG start getting more invitations after Oct 1st. Your scores are not bad and you passed 1st attempt, that's important. Good Luck!

For what I've found reading old forums IMG start getting more invitations after Oct 1st. Your scores are not bad and you passed 1st attempt, that's important. Good Luck!

This is true! The second wave is real. 3 interview offers today. Sit tight, your time is coming!

Just for the record, October 2 is still very much early first-wave for interview offers.

Late November/Early December is 2nd wave.

Very true. I'm just going along with the SDN/Reddit wording, however ridiculous it may be. It's a long season.

Just to add to the list.
Step 1: 254
Step 2: 256
CS: Pass
100 applications sent out.

4 interviews so far. Don't expect much of a wave until later. Just hopefully a minor trickle in the mean time.

Finally...2 interviews and 1 rejection. Season officially started for me.

Thank you for creating this thread for IMGs.
Step 1: 249
Step 2ck:247
Step 2cs: passed
all first attempt
YOG: 2015
greencard holder
Applied to 78 schools
6 months rotations in Texas and one year of research at USC
Have two invitations as of today: from both UT San Antonio and USC.

Good luck everyone!

Carrib IMG
Step 1: 240s
Step 2: 250s
CS: Pass
all first attempt
Need Visa
Applied 225 programs
So far: 2 IV, one university and one DO program

All clerkships in the US
I need a J-1 visa

1 IV :)

I assume you all are posting this in the interview thread...right....
Is it a mandatory thing? Interview threat is awesome for AMGs, but this year is being slow and some how weird for us, IMGs with 260+ scores and great CVs with only 1 IV so far, it is hard to see how are we (IMGs) doing just by looking at an official nterview threat where everyone has 5+ interviews already no matter what. Don't look at this as an official iv threat, it just a bunch of scared IMG trying to get a clue about how things are going for us and a way to give us hope one to another.

Is it a mandatory thing? Interview threat is awesome for AMGs, but this year is being slow and some how weird for us, IMGs with 260+ scores and great CVs with only 1 IV so far, it is hard to see how are we (IMGs) doing just by looking at an official nterview threat where everyone has 5+ interviews already no matter what. Don't look at this as an official iv threat, it just a bunch of scared IMG trying to get a clue about how things are going for us and a way to give us hope one to another.
You're all adults and can do what you want. But it's kind of nice to share. You should have learned that in kindergarten.

Carib IMG
Step 1: 227
Step 2: CK-229 / CS-pass
4 IVs (all community programs), applied to 150ish schools

Nervous about dates/spots being filled up going into the next couple weeks.

Which community programs if you don't mind me asking?

Step 1: high 240s
Step 2 CK: high 250s
All rotations in USA
Need J1 Visa

2 Interviews so far, 1 rejection

Step 1: high 240s
Step 2 CK: high 250s
All rotations in USA
Need J1 Visa

2 Interviews so far, 1 rejection

Where did you get your 2 interviews and 1 rejection from? I have 2 as well, also need visa. LSU and Stryker.

so do you really think the general IV THREAD is a threat? cuz you said it 3 times that it can't be a typo...

so do you really think the general IV THREAD is a threat? cuz you said it 3 times that it can't be a typo...
WOW .. Is that the message you got from what I wrote? A misspelling? I'm impressed! FYI I taught me English in 1 year and then took the 3 steps needed to apply in 6mo and that's all the time I've lived in US, I'm really sorry if my grammar or spelling is not perfect, it really is in my native language, but thanks for your remark, it was really useful for this THREAD!

Internalmed123 and the other guys who have received interviews, could you also please post the name of the hospital that has offered you an interview? Cause this will help us know which all Hospitals have started sending out invites.

Thanks guys! Best of luck to everyone!

rea

really?? you think someone is gonna share that info before the season is over?

riight...

I see all the Amgs telling each other which all programs they have received interviews from. So I can’t see why we shouldn’t be helping each other as well.

Guys, can we stop fighting? honestly this defeats the purpose of this post.
We are just a bunch of anxious IMGs looking online for info and comfort.
I don't see how giving the names of the programmes can harm anyone?

if you guys want, you can also put your stats and IVs on this google online doc:
There are both AMGs and IMGs on there and if you sort by numbers of programmes applied to, you can easily find the IMGs (they tend to apply to >80)

Well here are my offers as of 10/6:

New Jersey: NYMC at St. Joseph, Raritan Bay Medical Center, Atlanticare Regional
Pennsylvania: Mercy Catholic Medical Center
Maryland: Sinai Baltimore, St. Agnes

Hey!

new onf this forum and freaking out about residency interviews. My creds are 224 step 1, 244 step 2, cs pass , non us img, all usce.

Havent recieved any interviews so im super worried :(

Last edited:
Well here are my offers as of 10/6:

New Jersey: NYMC at St. Joseph, Raritan Bay Medical Center, Atlanticare Regional
Pennsylvania: Mercy Catholic Medical Center
Maryland: Sinai Baltimore, St. Agnes

congrats!! just wondering if you are US or non-US IMG?

Hey!

new onf this forum and freaking out about residency interviews. My creds are 224 step 1, 244 step 2, cs pass first attempt, non us img (canadian), all usce.

According to PD survey, 19% of all invites are sent before Oct. and 48% are sent during Oct.
It's still early in Oct and MSPE was just released so they may need time to go over it (in contrast to programmes that don't care about MSPE and sent out invites before Oct.)

Hey!

new onf this forum and freaking out about residency interviews. My creds are 224 step 1, 244 step 2, cs pass first attempt, non us img (canadian), all usce.

Same here dude! 233/221/pass + 6 pubs and IM residency in home country . YOG 2010

Thanks for help guys! I talked to a couple friends that are already in residency programs and they also said similar things that everyone is saying on this forum. The invites come in batches, someone said hopefully by then end of next week we might recieve some more. Theres also some us imgs that havent recieved anything yet too. Its very nerve wrecking but im def trying to stay optimistic! Contemplating on applying to more programs but idk the risks vs benefits...is it too late to consider applying?