IMGs Applying to Internal Medicine. 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got the rejection like 30 minutes ago. It was funny. Ask and you shall receive I guess.
Ops! Sorry, I didn't understand you, I thought you got an IV, not a rej, that's why the Congrats..

Members don't see this ad :)
Been a really slow week with rejection after rejection. But got invites from FAU and Cleveland clinic earlier today so a good end to the week.

Reactions: 1 users
I applied to 334 programs in IM earlier this week. Lets see what happens with CK pending.

First time applicant
US-IMG (no visa needed)
all rotations done in USA
Step 1: 232
Step 2 CS: pass first attempt
Step 2 CK: pending
5 strong US LOR's (1 in IM, 2 surgery, 1 psych, 1 family)
no pubs/research
Graduated Dec 2015
I have some work experience (not health care related), also have some voulnteer experience.

Why did you wait to take your CK. That's close to matching suicide for most IMGs.

maybe the issue with what? I dont have any issues yet lol.

for last 22 months been working and finishing boards.
seriously??? you don;t think you have issues? you have a middling step I and you graduated TWO YEARS ago and don't have CK done? and its the middle of interview season?

you are a big ole red flag.

Reactions: 1 user
when your best friend owns a hospital you dont worry much in life, haters gonna hate lol

Not hating and certainly no hater. Just pointing out that you are making poor decisions. Your friend owning a hospital is the most idiotic matching strategy I have ever heard of. At best, you have limited your matching options to one residency program. That is assuming that this friend of yours takes the initiative to push you into the program and that the PD is having it. Overall, pretty poor decision making.

Not hating and certainly no hater. Just pointing out that you are making poor decisions. Your friend owning a hospital is the most idiotic matching strategy I have ever heard of. At best, you have limited your matching options to one residency program. That is assuming that this friend of yours takes the initiative to push you into the program and that the PD is having it. Overall, pretty poor decision making.
Thank you for your two cents that I never asked for, may god bless you and give you everything you want in life. I wish you the best of luck in life.

Thank you for your two cents that I never asked for, may god bless you and give you everything you want in life. I wish you the best of luck in life.

Good luck with your plan. I am sure you will do great on your one interview.

Well, since my best friend owns a PS4 and 2 controllers, I will be playing and drinking till Monday lol. it was a slow week. Let's hope we do better the next. Try to relax buddies, its the weekend!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
This post is about showing your stats and IVs, and have a discussion about it.
So it is natural that people assume they can point out problems that they see.
Let's keep it civil...

On a Saturday at 7 a.m.?? they sure work hard...to turn people down..
yup, its actually more like 4am there

Thank you for your application for a categorical first-year position in the Internal Medicine Residency Program at Providence Portland Medical Center. Your application has been reviewed by our Selection Committee. However, due to the large number of applications received and limited availability of interview slots, regretfully we will not be able to offer you an interview and your application will no longer be considered. On behalf of the Internal Medicine Residency Program at Providence Portland Medical Center, we wish you success in finding your training interest.

Mari Kai, M.D. | Program Director

Internal Medicine Residency Program

Providence Portland Medical Center

Portland, Oregon

I believe this forum was created for all of us to get an idea about the Hospitals that have started inviting and what the current baselines scores are like. “Major procrastinator”, dint ask for any of our advice or comments on the decisions that he makes about his future, so I believe it’s best for us to respect his right and to stay out of his deal.

Jesus.. how many programs are y'all applying to?

I believe this forum was created for all of us to get an idea about the Hospitals that have started inviting and what the current baselines scores are like. “Major procrastinator”, dint ask for any of our advice or comments on the decisions that he makes about his future, so I believe it’s best for us to respect his right and to stay out of his deal.
I created this thread, even knowing that there is already an IM Iv thread, just to give us (IMGs) the opportunity to evaluate our real possibilities during this season.
* Number of IV vs scores, YoG and others ...
*Which program is sending rejections vs which are still sending iv.
*How is the iv routine in the different programs and what are the most common questions?
Anyway, the idea was to help each other and relieve some of the stress.
It's still early in the season, please keep it professional so the thread can continue to play its part to the end ... we'll all need it.

l
I created this thread, even knowing that there is already an IM Iv thread, just to give us (IMGs) the opportunity to evaluate our real possibilities during this season.
* Number of IV vs scores, YoG and others ...
*Which program is sending rejections vs which are still sending iv.
*How is the iv routine in the different programs and what are the most common questions?
Anyway, the idea was to help each other and relieve some of the stress.
It's still early in the season, please keep it professional so the thread can continue to play its part to the end ... we'll all need it.
Thank you, that is exactly why I am using your thread. Im here to learn and help not attack or judge anyone. I dont know why Im being attacked. Its ok though, let them talk negative.

To help those of you that are interested in more information I am happy to post my gf’s stats, she has 13 IV’s and 1 rejection as an IMG and I am willing to share her interview experiences as well. Please let me know if you would like me to post her info to help you guys that are using this thread for the right reasons. :)

Good luck to you all!!

Last edited:
l

Thank you, that is exactly why I am using your thread. Im here to learn and help not attack or judge anyone. I dont know why Im being attacked. Its ok though, let them talk negative.

To help those of you that are interested in more information I am happy to post my gf’s stats, she has 13 IV’s and 1 rejection as an IMG and I am willing to share her interview experiences as well. Please let me know if you would like me to post her info to help you guys that are using this thread for the right reasons. :)

Good luck to you all!!
Sure...go ahead and post her experience!

IMG- no visa needed
YoG sept 2016
step 1- 245+
Step 2ck high 245+
Step 2CS-pass
all 1st attempt
4 months USCE got 4 US LORs (1 month externship, 3 observership) from june-sept 2017
4 research, 3 pubs
current volunteer nursing home

applied to 150 programs sept 25

Interviews: Hofstra northwell staten island, SUNY downstate, Rosalind frankling chicago medical school Mchenry, University of Nevada Reno, Macneal hospital, Easton Hospital PA (prematch, she didnt know but is still going for practice), UCONN, Georgetown University medstar, DMC sinai grace, East Tennessee, Bronx-Lebannon medical center, University of Florida-Orlando, UMPC mercy pittsburgh,

Rejections: Lincoln

so far attended 1 interview-mostly asked about hypothetical scenarios.

what would you do if you had trouble with a senior?
what would you do if you make a mistake?
questions about research she did
what would you do for this medical case?

Hope this helps in some way

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
so far this morning

Henry Ford allegiance Health, Jackons, MI--acknowledged
Iowa medical education collaborative Mercy medical center-All interview slots full (only 1 IMG in whole program anyway haha)
Flushing Hospital Medical Center, NY-acknowledged
Medstar Washington Hospital center-acknowledged

Not sure acknowledgements help anyone. Unless you guys want to know, I will just stick to IV's and Rejections.

Hope you guys get a bunch of Invites this week!! good luck!! :)

Last edited:
so far this morning

Henry Ford allegiance Health, Jackons, MI--acknowledged
Iowa medical education collaborative Mercy medical center-All interview slots full (only 1 IMG in whole program anyway haha)
Flushing Hospital Medical Center, NY-acknowledged
Medstar Washington Hospital center-acknowledged

Not sure acknowledgements help anyone. Unless you guys want to know, I will just stick to IV's and Rejections.

Hope you guys get a bunch of Invites this week!! good luck!! :)

Thank you for this update!
I think acknowledgements can help too, since some programmes only sent out acknowledgement to applicants who clear their filters. This way we may have an idea of what their filters are, so every bit helps!
Good luck to you too :)

+1 in Chicago, it doesn’t participate in the match but honestly at this point I don’t care.

Thank you for this update!
I think acknowledgements can help too, since some programmes only sent out acknowledgement to applicants who clear their filters. This way we may have an idea of what their filters are, so every bit helps!
Good luck to you too :)
oh wow I never knew some filter and then send them out, learn something new everyday! thanks

UPDATE: gf got IV at Hofstra Northwell Forest Hills today

New York Medical College (Metropolitan) Today.

Hi, good job creating this thread. I am joining this thread too :).
My credentials are -
Non US IMG (need visa)
Graduated 2016
Step 1 -257
Step 2 CK - 224
Step 2 CS - 2nd attempt :(
Step 3 - 240

Did rotations in MSU, Henry Ford, MD Anderson Cancer Center in 2016.
Doing a research in U Penn for past 7-8 months.

6 iv invites so far, 4 through contacts at hospitals I rotated at.
The past week and today has been incredibly quiet. Most of my invites came in September and first week of October.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi, good job creating this thread. I am joining this thread too :).
My credentials are -
Non US IMG (need visa)
Graduated 2016
Step 1 -257
Step 2 CK - 224
Step 2 CS - 2nd attempt :(
Step 3 - 240

Did rotations in MSU, Henry Ford, MD Anderson Cancer Center in 2016.
Doing a research in U Penn for past 7-8 months.

6 iv invites so far, 4 through contacts at hospitals I rotated at.
The past week and today has been incredibly quiet. Most of my invites came in September and first week of October.

Welcome and congrats on the IVs! Mind sharing where you got them from?

St Vincent, MA, Mclaren Flint MI, Henry Ford, Jackson, St Johns, Detroit
Marshfield, WI, Piedmont Athens, GA

St Vincent, MA, Mclaren Flint MI, Henry Ford, Jackson, St Johns, Detroit
Marshfield, WI, Piedmont Athens, GA
Did you receive any detailed emails after scheduling with St Vincent MA?
I got one that says my confirmed date is xx/xx/xxxx but there was no directions or if there is gonna be dinner the day before or any other info really...

Did you receive any detailed emails after scheduling with St Vincent MA?
I got one that says my confirmed date is xx/xx/xxxx but there was no directions or if there is gonna be dinner the day before or any other info really...
Nope I dint.

Hennepin County Medical Center, MN-rejection (do not give interviews with no ECFMG certification-no exceptions made) can email them when I do

so for me 3 rejections 3 acknowledgments

Do you think we should ask them?
at least to find out if there is gonna be a dinner the night before...
My interview is in December and Since the interview dates get only confirmed 2 weeks before, I was only gonna do that closer to my interview date.

Hennepin County Medical Center, MN-rejection (do not give interviews with no ECFMG certification-no exceptions made) can email them when I do

so for me 3 rejections 3 acknowledgments

I got rejection from them too despite the ECFMG certification.

it seems like 17/10 was very quiet as well???
none of the forums had any iv updates...

Hey!
I’m an Img and need a visa.
Step 1- 263
Step 2 - 257
Step CS- 1st attempt
Ecfmg certified
Yog- 2015
Elective/ obs- 2
Publications - 2

I’ve just received 2 IVs uptill now, I’m just freaked out since most programs have already sent out invitations, I wanted to ask if anyone knew whether there is a second batch of invitation that the programs send out later in the IV season?

Hey!
I’m an Img and need a visa.
Step 1- 263
Step 2 - 257
Step CS- 1st attempt
Ecfmg certified
Yog- 2015
Elective/ obs- 2
Publications - 2

I’ve just received 2 IVs uptill now, I’m just freaked out since most programs have already sent out invitations, I wanted to ask if anyone knew whether there is a second batch of invitation that the programs send out later in the IV season?
Most of us are new to this too. But there is hope! Tons of candidates start cancelling iv during nov due to many reasons like pre-match, too many iv or just budget issues. So programs start sending a new wave of iv. If you do some research on the past years forums you'll see people getting iv even in mid jan. So..don't freak out yet. Plus your scores are really good.