IMGs Applying to Internal Medicine. 2018

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A PD sent me an email that my application is on hold until my CS score is released, which is in December...****

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Interviews till now.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
+Texas Tech
+Hurley Medical centre
+st barnabas Ny
+Beaumont hosp
+st Vincent Massachusetts
+AtlantiCare regional medical center

Interviews till now.

Congrats! What are your scores? Are you US or non-US IMG?

has anyone applied without CK and got interviews? I am US-IMG and wondering if I should wait til I get my CK score....step 1 23x, step 2 cs pass first attempt, all rotations done in USA
You can go ahead and apply, but assume that you won't get any interview offers until 2CK is available. That's a common filter that programs will use for IMGs (US or not) and if you don't have 1/2CK/2CS you won't clear the filter, and your app won't be seen.

That said, with the way ERAS works now, as soon as you do have your CK score, and assuming your app clears all the other filters a PD may have in place, it will become immediately available for them to review. So you don't really have anything to lose by applying now. Places that will filter you out will filter you out, but you might get a few offers, which you definitely won't get if you don't apply.

Reactions: 4 users
I applied without CS, 1 IV thus far. Try your luck.
your scores are out of this world, I'm surprised they still arent giving you interviews. I guess it could be the visa factor. I'm sending my app in.

Hi everyone!
239/255/ YOG 2017, no visa needed.
8 interviews so far.

Reactions: 2 users
Any news this week guys?
5 iv total so far, 1 of then outside the match.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, I am an IMG
Step1/ck/CS: 249/250/passed on 1st attempt
Ecfmg certified
Graduation year:2016
Require visa
Applied to 200+ programs, got 4 interviews so far.

Hey guys, I am an IMG
Step1/ck/CS: 249/250/passed on 1st attempt
Ecfmg certified
Graduation year:2016
Require visa
Applied to 200+ programs, got 4 interviews so far.

Congrats! Where have you gotten interviews if you don't mind me asking?

hey guys i have a question i hope someone could shed some light on; on my eras applications it says the date my Eras application was made available for a majority of programs was October 2 but I applied way back in september... is that whats supposed to show up? super confused

No problem. No to see that, go to programs applied to and track documents. THat will show exact time/date

I am not sure then to be honest. Mine says Applied date the 12th and made available the 15th.

According to PD survey, 19% of all invites are sent before Oct. and 48% are sent during Oct.
It's still early in Oct and MSPE was just released so they may need time to go over it (in contrast to programmes that don't care about MSPE and sent out invites before Oct.)
step 1 is likely filtering him out, other things programs look at are how long since one has graduated, FMG who graduated multiple years prior are a disadvantage as well, I would be aggressive in visiting places in person that he strongly wishes to be at and personally drop off your CV, chances are high these places have not even seen his app due to step filters.

Slow week for IMGs I think. 1 iv and a few rej. 5 iv so far. Lets hope for the best.

step 1 is likely filtering him out, other things programs look at are how long since one has graduated, FMG who graduated multiple years prior are a disadvantage as well, I would be aggressive in visiting places in person that he strongly wishes to be at and personally drop off your CV, chances are high these places have not even seen his app due to step filters.

Thank you so much for the insight!
You seem to know quite a lot about the process and probably know many people who is going/went through this, can I ask you something?
I received one IV on 26 Sep. but nothing since, when should I start to worry?

My stats:
Non-US IMG
Step 1: 233
Step 2 CK: 260
Step 2 CS: Pass
All steps passed on 1st attempt
YOG 2014, received postgraduate training in home country and then private practice for some months (no gap).
4m externship USCE with 4 US LORs
0 Pub (1 case report)

Looking forward to your reply :)

You seem to know quite a lot about the process and probably know many people who is going/went through this, can I ask you something?

My stats:
Non-US IMG
YOG 2014, received postgraduate training in home country and then private practice for some months (no gap).
0 Pub (1 case report)

Very odd that you only have 1 IV. It seems to be slow thus far for us non US IMGs. I've been told to but worry until after the first week of November, but you should definitely consider emailing the programs your did US electives at. That is my opinion at least. Good luck!

My stats:
Non-US IMG
0 Pub (1 case report)

it varies according to program but a typical mid tier university program sets their filters at step 1/2 at 240-250 and get on average 2500 applications for 20-30 categorical spots, it seems very likely your step 1 is filtering your app out as you have an exceptional step 2 ck that programs actually care about, if you have done externships at american facilities I would walk in personally to the department office to drop off you application to express your strong interest and use your 4 letter writers to your advantage! have each one of them forward your CV on your behalf to their own institution and ones neighboring it. ask them if they know of any other contacts at programs as well, Im sure they do have them. good luck

N
Great congrats! Some great programs in there. Do you need a visa?
No, green card holder, my scores are pretty low compared with most people here, but I think the GC is helping. YoG 2013

Very odd that you only have 1 IV. It seems to be slow thus far for us non US IMGs. I've been told to but worry until after the first week of November, but you should definitely consider emailing the programs your did US electives at. That is my opinion at least. Good luck!
That's a great idea. I think I will email them near the end of Oct.
Thank you for your input!!

it varies according to program but a typical mid tier university program sets their filters at step 1/2 at 240-250 and get on average 2500 applications for 20-30 categorical spots, it seems very likely your step 1 is filtering your app out as you have an exceptional step 2 ck that programs actually care about, if you have done externships at american facilities I would walk in personally to the department office to drop off you application to express your strong interest and use your 4 letter writers to your advantage! have each one of them forward your CV on your behalf to their own institution and ones neighboring it. ask them if they know of any other contacts at programs as well, Im sure they do have them. good luck

That is very helpful and I will start to get in touch with my letter writers
Thank you so much!!

N

No, green card holder, my scores are pretty low compared with most people here, but I think the GC is helping. YoG 2013

Yea not needing visa is a huge help. Really gives you a big one up on us visa needing applicants regardless of scores.

Reactions: 1 users
Yea not needing visa is a huge help. Really gives you a big one up on us visa needing applicants regardless of scores.
Something else I've learned this month is that network makes a difference too, I know more than a few who have gotten all iv through connections.

Got interviews from Fairview Hospital, Mclaren flint and oakwood Hospital this week till Now.
Got rejections from Lincoln, aventura and oak hill Hospitals.

At this point I wouldn’t mind getting rejections just so I know someone actually looked at my application :nailbiting:

Something else I've learned this month is that network makes a difference too, I know more than a few who have gotten all iv through connections.
Hey congrats on your IV's so far! How many programs did you apply to? Did you take the time to research IMG friendly programs? Do you have USCE?

Hey congrats on your IV's so far! How many programs did you apply to? Did you take the time to research IMG friendly programs? Do you have USCE?
I did research the programs a little, couldn't afford to apply more than 90 IM so had to be the right ones. I don't have USCE, but I've been working as a MA for 2 years so got some strong LoR. I hope your ck shows a good score..good luck.

I applied to 334 programs in IM earlier this week. Lets see what happens with CK pending.

First time applicant
US-IMG (no visa needed)
all rotations done in USA
Step 1: 232
Step 2 CS: pass first attempt
Step 2 CK: pending
5 strong US LOR's (1 in IM, 2 surgery, 1 psych, 1 family)
no pubs/research
Graduated Dec 2015
I have some work experience (not health care related), also have some voulnteer experience.
1. The 2nd sentence of your post and your username are eerily congruent.
2. What have you been doing the last 2 years? This may be the issue.