You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
IMGs Applying to Internal Medicine. 2018
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
So far: Coney Island, AU/UGA in Athens, Aurora Health, St. Vincent - MA, MWMC, Nassau, Broward Health
and no visa sponsorship @AshNiffler
Congrats, well done! Some great programs in there.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
+Texas Tech
+Hurley Medical centre
+st barnabas Ny
+Beaumont hosp
+st Vincent Massachusetts
+AtlantiCare regional medical center
Interviews till now.
Congrats! What are your scores? Are you US or non-US IMG?
Congrats! What are your scores? Are you US or non-US IMG?
I’m an IMG.
Step 1/2/3 - 235/243/220, I have one publication and 4 months USCE. Graduated 2015 and I don’t require a visa.
What are your scores and stats?Congrats! What are your scores? Are you US or non-US IMG?
What are your scores and stats?
Non-US Carib IMG
Step 1/2- 24x/25x. Need Visa. YOG 2018
You can go ahead and apply, but assume that you won't get any interview offers until 2CK is available. That's a common filter that programs will use for IMGs (US or not) and if you don't have 1/2CK/2CS you won't clear the filter, and your app won't be seen.has anyone applied without CK and got interviews? I am US-IMG and wondering if I should wait til I get my CK score....step 1 23x, step 2 cs pass first attempt, all rotations done in USA
That said, with the way ERAS works now, as soon as you do have your CK score, and assuming your app clears all the other filters a PD may have in place, it will become immediately available for them to review. So you don't really have anything to lose by applying now. Places that will filter you out will filter you out, but you might get a few offers, which you definitely won't get if you don't apply.
has anyone applied without CK and got interviews? I am US-IMG and wondering if I should wait til I get my CK score....step 1 23x, step 2 cs pass first attempt, all rotations done in USA
I applied without CS, 1 IV thus far. Try your luck.
your scores are out of this world, I'm surprised they still arent giving you interviews. I guess it could be the visa factor. I'm sending my app in.I applied without CS, 1 IV thus far. Try your luck.
where did you do your rotations?Hi everyone!
239/255/ YOG 2017, no visa needed.
8 interviews so far.
any publications?
Any news this week guys?
5 iv total so far, 1 of then outside the match.
I just got one a few minutes ago to a program in Atlanta.
your scores are out of this world, I'm surprised they still arent giving you interviews. I guess it could be the visa factor. I'm sending my app in.
Thanks🙂 visa, and an “incomplete application” without Step 2 CS
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys, I am an IMG
Step1/ck/CS: 249/250/passed on 1st attempt
Ecfmg certified
Graduation year:2016
Require visa
Applied to 200+ programs, got 4 interviews so far.
Congrats! Where have you gotten interviews if you don't mind me asking?
hey guys i have a question i hope someone could shed some light on; on my eras applications it says the date my Eras application was made available for a majority of programs was October 2 but I applied way back in september... is that whats supposed to show up? super confused
Did you update your ERAS with your NRMP ID number on that date?
Did you update your ERAS with your NRMP ID number on that date?
yeah i did!
There you go, nothing to worry about then!
Thanks for your help man really appreciate it but sorry one last stupid question; does that mean they didnt get my application until i got the NRMP ID?There you go, nothing to worry about then!
No problem. No to see that, go to programs applied to and track documents. THat will show exact time/date
Yea thats what i did and thats where i saw that my eras application was available october 2nd for the programs!No problem. No to see that, go to programs applied to and track documents. THat will show exact time/date
I am not sure then to be honest. Mine says Applied date the 12th and made available the 15th.
Anyone hear anything the past few days?
Only rejections. =(Anyone hear anything the past few days?
step 1 is likely filtering him out, other things programs look at are how long since one has graduated, FMG who graduated multiple years prior are a disadvantage as well, I would be aggressive in visiting places in person that he strongly wishes to be at and personally drop off your CV, chances are high these places have not even seen his app due to step filters.According to PD survey, 19% of all invites are sent before Oct. and 48% are sent during Oct.
It's still early in Oct and MSPE was just released so they may need time to go over it (in contrast to programmes that don't care about MSPE and sent out invites before Oct.)
Yea it really has been. Where the 5 IVs from that you got?Slow week for IMGs I think. 1 iv and a few rej. 5 iv so far. Lets hope for the best.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
step 1 is likely filtering him out, other things programs look at are how long since one has graduated, FMG who graduated multiple years prior are a disadvantage as well, I would be aggressive in visiting places in person that he strongly wishes to be at and personally drop off your CV, chances are high these places have not even seen his app due to step filters.
Thank you so much for the insight!
You seem to know quite a lot about the process and probably know many people who is going/went through this, can I ask you something?
I received one IV on 26 Sep. but nothing since, when should I start to worry?
My stats:
Non-US IMG
Step 1: 233
Step 2 CK: 260
Step 2 CS: Pass
All steps passed on 1st attempt
YOG 2014, received postgraduate training in home country and then private practice for some months (no gap).
4m externship USCE with 4 US LORs
0 Pub (1 case report)
Looking forward to your reply 🙂
Aventura FlYea it really has been. Where the 5 IVs from that you got?
Upstate NY
Texas Tech
Nassau Univ NY
Jamaica NY
Thank you so much for the insight!
You seem to know quite a lot about the process and probably know many people who is going/went through this, can I ask you something?
I received one IV on 26 Sep. but nothing since, when should I start to worry?
My stats:
Non-US IMG
Step 1: 233
Step 2 CK: 260
Step 2 CS: Pass
All steps passed on 1st attempt
YOG 2014, received postgraduate training in home country and then private practice for some months (no gap).
4m externship USCE with 4 US LORs
0 Pub (1 case report)
Looking forward to your reply 🙂
Very odd that you only have 1 IV. It seems to be slow thus far for us non US IMGs. I've been told to but worry until after the first week of November, but you should definitely consider emailing the programs your did US electives at. That is my opinion at least. Good luck!
it varies according to program but a typical mid tier university program sets their filters at step 1/2 at 240-250 and get on average 2500 applications for 20-30 categorical spots, it seems very likely your step 1 is filtering your app out as you have an exceptional step 2 ck that programs actually care about, if you have done externships at american facilities I would walk in personally to the department office to drop off you application to express your strong interest and use your 4 letter writers to your advantage! have each one of them forward your CV on your behalf to their own institution and ones neighboring it. ask them if they know of any other contacts at programs as well, Im sure they do have them. good luckThank you so much for the insight!
You seem to know quite a lot about the process and probably know many people who is going/went through this, can I ask you something?
I received one IV on 26 Sep. but nothing since, when should I start to worry?
My stats:
Non-US IMG
Step 1: 233
Step 2 CK: 260
Step 2 CS: Pass
All steps passed on 1st attempt
YOG 2014, received postgraduate training in home country and then private practice for some months (no gap).
4m externship USCE with 4 US LORs
0 Pub (1 case report)
Looking forward to your reply 🙂
Aventura Fl
Upstate NY
Texas Tech
Nassau Univ NY
Jamaica NY
Great congrats! Some great programs in there. Do you need a visa?
N
No, green card holder, my scores are pretty low compared with most people here, but I think the GC is helping. YoG 2013Great congrats! Some great programs in there. Do you need a visa?
That's a great idea. I think I will email them near the end of Oct.Very odd that you only have 1 IV. It seems to be slow thus far for us non US IMGs. I've been told to but worry until after the first week of November, but you should definitely consider emailing the programs your did US electives at. That is my opinion at least. Good luck!
Thank you for your input!!
it varies according to program but a typical mid tier university program sets their filters at step 1/2 at 240-250 and get on average 2500 applications for 20-30 categorical spots, it seems very likely your step 1 is filtering your app out as you have an exceptional step 2 ck that programs actually care about, if you have done externships at american facilities I would walk in personally to the department office to drop off you application to express your strong interest and use your 4 letter writers to your advantage! have each one of them forward your CV on your behalf to their own institution and ones neighboring it. ask them if they know of any other contacts at programs as well, Im sure they do have them. good luck
That is very helpful and I will start to get in touch with my letter writers
Thank you so much!!
N
No, green card holder, my scores are pretty low compared with most people here, but I think the GC is helping. YoG 2013
Yea not needing visa is a huge help. Really gives you a big one up on us visa needing applicants regardless of scores.
Something else I've learned this month is that network makes a difference too, I know more than a few who have gotten all iv through connections.Yea not needing visa is a huge help. Really gives you a big one up on us visa needing applicants regardless of scores.
Yea very true, I have seen that too.
Something else I've learned this month is that network makes a difference too, I know more than a few who have gotten all iv through connections.
Late night Oakhill Rejection letter. Thanks for waking me from my sleep for this.
Yea got rejection from aventura at 4:30 in the morning.Late night Oakhill Rejection letter. Thanks for waking me from my sleep for this.
At this point I wouldn’t mind getting rejections just so I know someone actually looked at my application 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey congrats on your IV's so far! How many programs did you apply to? Did you take the time to research IMG friendly programs? Do you have USCE?Something else I've learned this month is that network makes a difference too, I know more than a few who have gotten all iv through connections.
I did research the programs a little, couldn't afford to apply more than 90 IM so had to be the right ones. I don't have USCE, but I've been working as a MA for 2 years so got some strong LoR. I hope your ck shows a good score..good luck.Hey congrats on your IV's so far! How many programs did you apply to? Did you take the time to research IMG friendly programs? Do you have USCE?
At this point I wouldn’t mind getting rejections just so I know someone actually looked at my application![]()
Got one. UTexas San Antonio. Yay.
Congrats!!! It feels great to see that email doesn't it??Got one. UTexas San Antonio. Yay.
1. The 2nd sentence of your post and your username are eerily congruent.I applied to 334 programs in IM earlier this week. Lets see what happens with CK pending.
First time applicant
US-IMG (no visa needed)
all rotations done in USA
Step 1: 232
Step 2 CS: pass first attempt
Step 2 CK: pending
5 strong US LOR's (1 in IM, 2 surgery, 1 psych, 1 family)
no pubs/research
Graduated Dec 2015
I have some work experience (not health care related), also have some voulnteer experience.
2. What have you been doing the last 2 years? This may be the issue.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 2K