Importance of dentist LOR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TotallyUncertain

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have shadowed and assisted at a clinic for roughly 70-100 hours.

Beyond that I have shadowed more, but didn't track my hours.

Anyway I likely won't have a dentist LOR. I have a comittee letter and a few summers worth of research LOR.

My GPA is stellar and DAT is high.

Will this have a large impact on my acceptance likelihood? Was anyone accepted without a dentist's LOR?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I have shadowed and assisted at a clinic for roughly 70-100 hours.

Beyond that I have shadowed more, but didn't track my hours.

Anyway I likely won't have a dentist LOR. I have a comittee letter and a few summers worth of research LOR.

My GPA is stellar and DAT is high.

Will this have a large impact on my acceptance likelihood? Was anyone accepted without a dentist's LOR?

I would research each school. I believe some schools require that you have one from a dentist. Either way it would look good and help your application. You could always ask a dentist that you have shadowed, the worst that’ll happen is that they’ll say no. I asked my dentist after having shadowed only 25 hours or so. But your best bet would be to look at each schools website to see if they require/recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't sweat it, the majority of schools don't require a dentist LOR. Of the 15 schools I'm applying to, only Missouri-Kansas and Virginia require a dentist letter.

My 3 LORs consisted of two from my science professors and one from my community leader.