Improving Residency Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bathrover

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering what additional activities to partake in to increase chances for matching in a residency such as research, volunteering, touch points, etc?

Members don't see this ad.

I was thinking more along the lines of residencies in general... what sets candidates apart?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was thinking more along the lines of residencies in general... what sets candidates apart?
Class rank, STEP 1 Scores,Clinicals and how well you do on interviews. The rest if just cream on the pie.

Step 2 scores are pretty important too. At least we weigh more on step 2 scores at my residency because it is more clinical knowledge and not just memorizing.

Thanks for this, I was still thinking more along the lines of things that are voluntary such as joining groups, volunteering, research, etc.

What are "touch points"? Just curious.

-Skip

Step scores (with early results) and US clinical experience, particularly a SubI in the field you're interested in at a well known US program, and your grades/transcript, are the most important things. Everything after that is icing. But, if you're wondering what type of icing is best, then research if you're interested in univeristy based programs. But a great research project will not compensate for a poor Step 2 score.